LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 21st, 2017, 5:57 am
Who Is Online: chilidawg, D-50Dave, dan filipi, oldwing, rjbogdan1, TossingLead, vtflatlander, zman .... 2 guests
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Alternator Conversion

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Post subject: Re: Another conversion
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#16  Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2017, 3:22 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 655
Active Topics: 63

Total Images: 5
Local time: October 21st, 2017, 8:57 am
My Rides: 71 CB350 (long gone)
72 DT250 (long gone)
73 GT750K(sold)
78 GL1000
83 GL1100A Sold
84 GL1200I Trike (in work)
85 GL1200I
86 GL1200I Sold
86 GL1200A

Profile Personal album

I agree with both comments. Don't know what the person who did this was thinking.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#17  Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 3:44 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 138
Active Topics: 8

Total Images: 7
Local time: October 21st, 2017, 7:57 am
My Rides: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

Well the wiring is complete and the rad is back on. The bike fired up and is showing just under 14 volts at idle. The engine is running smooth and it idles at 950 rpm's. :Egyptian: All good news so far, the bad news is I am out of time so I will have to put the plastic on, hook up the voltmeter and finally take it for a test ride next week. I did have to enlist my grandson to help me gat the rad back on as I needed three hands. I hope to have some pictures of the completed project next weekend. (There is just not enough time in a day or I have too many irons in the fire)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#18  Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 6:05 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14418
Active Topics: 147

Total Images: 112
Local time: October 21st, 2017, 9:57 am
My Rides: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Looks good.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#19  Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 6:10 am

Total Posts: 2132
Active Topics: 9

Local time: October 21st, 2017, 5:57 am
My Rides: 2,84gl1200 standards,87intersate,91asp

Very nice, mounted my air horn in that location, as the other side looked a little smaller to me.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#20  Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 6:40 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 500
Active Topics: 34

My Rides: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2008 GL1800

Profile Personal album

Nice install. Like where you put the in line fuse. What is the P/N of the belt you used? Cheers

"When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#21  Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 7:17 am

Site supporter

Topic author

1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

:thank_you: The belt is a Gates K030310, I got it from Parts Avatar.ca. This is the same place I ordered the Alternator from. The belt was not expensive and the Alternator was $118.00 cnd. I think they are located in your neck of the woods

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#22  Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Site supporter

2008 GL1800

Profile Personal album

Thanks - will put in my spreadsheet.

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#23  Unread postPosted: September 10th, 2017, 4:28 am

Site supporter

Topic author

1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

Well, I have finally finished working on the Aspencade for now. The alternator conversion is completed. I did manage to go for a short ride yesterday and found this bike to run and ride really nice. I have 14 volts at idle running a 4 inch crank pulley and with 55 watts I can start saving for heated grips and vest. Things I found while doing this project:
The belts were way too tight causing too much heat contributing to the pulse generators dying.
The fan was coming on at 3 bars, possibly contributing to the stator failing.
Yes the lowers fit as original, I did have to use a heat gun on the left side to mould in a small amount of clearance.
This reconfirms why you should put new belts on a new to you Oldwing
Thanks to Dan for suggesting the 2 to 1 ratio for the alternator drive. And thanks to all that have posted pictures and talked about their conversions. I will post pictures soon as I have time.. :yahoo:
Next project is rebuilding the starter on the Interstate.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#24  Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2017, 1:08 am

Site supporter

Topic author

1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

I did go for another ride today and every thing is working good. I am gaining confidence in the alternator. It sure is nice to see the voltmeter sitting at 14 volts from idle on up. I did not take a lot of pictures as I got focused on completing the project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#25  Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2017, 6:31 am

Site supporter

2008 GL1800

Profile Personal album

Well, I have finally finished working on the Aspencade for now. The alternator conversion is completed. I did manage to go for a short ride yesterday and found this bike to run and ride really nice. I have 14 volts at idle running a 4 inch crank pulley and with 55 watts I can start saving for heated grips and vest. Things I found while doing this project:
The belts were way too tight causing too much heat contributing to the pulse generators dying.
The fan was coming on at 3 bars, possibly contributing to the stator failing.
Yes the lowers fit as original, I did have to use a heat gun on the left side to mould in a small amount of clearance.
This reconfirms why you should put new belts on a new to you Oldwing
Thanks to Dan for suggesting the 2 to 1 ratio for the alternator drive. And thanks to all that have posted pictures and talked about their conversions. I will post pictures soon as I have time.. :yahoo:
Next project is rebuilding the starter on the Interstate.

Glad to hear all is well and the finish product is what you expected. I picked up a Poorboy crank pulley, but had an issue finding an appropriately sized belt to fit. Put what I had originally back on and will look at next time I have the front off.

You mention the fan coming on early. Have you taking temp readings of the coolant to determine what each BAR on the temp gauge relates to? I used a heat temp gun and have an indication of where my temps are, gives a warm and fuzzy feeling all is well.
A new thread on your experience with this and how you rectified the situation would be nice, with pictures of course.

Curious as to how the timing belts being tight could cause the PG sensors to fail. I wouldn't think the belts could generate heat.

Enjoy your ride. These are great bikes, eh what!!

Cheers

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#26  Unread postPosted: September 11th, 2017, 6:47 am

Site supporter

Topic author

1986 Aspencade

Profile Personal album

Thanks for the heat gun suggestion, I will have to pick one up as they are not incredibly expensive nowadays ....I saw one of your threads had a chart for what temperature related to each bar... I will document this fix if required... Yes when the timing belts are too tight they will generate a lot of heat..( Don't ask me how I know this). Actually I found this out a couple of years ago when I did my first belt change... :head bang:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#27  Unread postPosted: September 12th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Site supporter

2008 GL1800

Profile Personal album

Heat gun - Princess Auto regular $35.00 on sale for $13.00.

Ernest

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently October 21st, 2017, 5:57 am