Working on my solex mod

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put 20 miles on it today seems to be running good idle went up to 2k so tuned it back down to 1.5 gonna fire it up early tomorrow morning when it nice and cold out see how the choke works

its got the electric choke no tweaking required. Rode it to work this morning got it adjusted so its not shooting a cloud of white smoke out the back but still rich. And so far its starting pretty good.

hmmmmm rich is sure sign of to much gas at idle and also maybe to strong on accerator pump also ....both fixable ..e choke is totally not need till gas is much leaner id say ...i was thinking you had .035 idle jet already ? :popcorn:

I'm following this thread closely, I've got the same carb and have been concerned about being too rich at idle so it'll be interesting seeing where your idle jet ends up at.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160673#p160673:2tac43sn said:
rob.lafady » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:56 pm[/url]":2tac43sn]
I'm following this thread closely, I've got the same carb and have been concerned about being too rich at idle so it'll be interesting seeing where your idle jet ends up at.

Me too. I should have my bike put together enough to ride it later this week. I am still not sure the choke works, but I wanna get it down the road before I staart making adjustments.

Put 80 miles on it yesterday got 24mpg should have the 35 jet showing up in a day or two. may need to downsize the main jet as well but seem to run nicely at highway speeds with good acceleration. And I still have the gas coming out of the butterfly bushing after shutdown

It's a good habit to shut off the fuel 30 seconds or so before shutting off the bike. Regardless of fuel delivery system installed. For stock or single carbs this reduces the likelihood of overflow on sidestand. It also assures the float valves are not closed. So when started the rush of fuel will wash any tiny debris off the float valves.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160740#p160740:jw4bdboi said:
slabghost » Today, 11:07 am[/url]":jw4bdboi]
It's a good habit to shut off the fuel 30 seconds or so before shutting off the bike. Regardless of fuel delivery system installed. For stock or single carbs this reduces the likelihood of overflow on sidestand. It also assures the float valves are not closed. So when started the rush of fuel will wash any tiny debris off the float valves.

Thats better than sticking a rag under the carb every time I shut off the bike, less flammable too :thanks:

I'd pull the top and see if a piece of junk got in the float valve, has happened to me a couple times. That mpg is aweful low even for too rich jet and gas coming out around shaft might suggest flodding over.

Got home last night pulled the top off the carb, checked the gas level in the bowl. Seemed high per the VW websites( 19mm from top of carb, I was 15) So installed the thicker float gasket to lower it. Did a test fire after the work to verify, started up ran just fine. Fired up the bike this morning to go to work, got a mile down the road and it died on me wouldnt restart so pushed the bike home will work on it tonight after I get some help to push it up my inclined driveway into the garage. I'm thinking fuel pump at this point. Does anyone know if there is a rubber diaphragm in the pump? That would explain the rubber particles I keep finding in the float bowl, since all the hoses are new.

I don't see how a thicker gasket will alter float height at all let alone 4mm. Yes fuel pump has a rubber like diaphragm in it.

Hmm I'm finding tiny rubber pieces in the float bowl also. Ethanol breaking down the rubber?
I'm running an electric 1200 pump, fairly new standard black gas hose also.
My next step is clear fuel hose and a solid screw on type filter right at the carb.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160815#p160815:1ksoq961 said:
dan filipi » Today, 7:52 am[/url]":1ksoq961]
Hmm I'm finding tiny rubber pieces in the float bowl also. Ethanol breaking down the rubber?
I'm running an electric 1200 pump, fairly new standard black gas hose also.
My next step is clear fuel hose and a solid screw on type filter right at the carb.

Its brand new fuel hose from the filter to the pump and from there to the carb unless NAPA got a bad batch of fuel hose it has to be the fuel pump had no joy at the local bike salvage for a used pump so it looks like a trip to the dealer. The bike had been stored for 4 years before I bought it so the sitting idle might have done damage to the pump diaphragm

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160814#p160814:3qntwyhu said:
slabghost » Today, 7:50 am[/url]":3qntwyhu]
I don't see how a thicker gasket will alter float height at all let alone 4mm. Yes fuel pump has a rubber like diaphragm in it.

Thicker gasket drops down the float valve so it shuts sooner or so the VW folks say.
https://www.vw-resource.com/float_needle.html#washers

Latest posts