GL1100 PVC Manifold and 34-3 outta box Carb

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just rolled back in from 5 day camping trip to Big Cypress Bayou. 100 degrees, but we had a Great Fourth. Bikes ran great, The 82 with the single runner manifold the mpg was 45. The 81 single runner manifold, pulling a 425 Lb trailer, the mpg was 26.

Attachments

• 13567163_1285988958092956_6346553613183996545_n.jpg
    13567163_1285988958092956_6346553613183996545_n.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 432
  • land1.jpg
    land1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 435
  • land4.jpg
    land4.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 435
  • land3.jpg
    land3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 431
  • land5.jpg
    land5.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 438
It is still raining in Louisiana. I am in North Louisiana and we are not flooding at all here, but Pray for everyone in South Louisiana it is bad.

My 82 GL1100 and My 81 GL1100 both running a VW 34 pict 3 import carb with stock jets.
DKL PVC Manifold V2.0 Single Runner.
CARB SETTING
The electric choke must be hooked up and adjusted to VW Specs.
Vacuum line hooked up at front of carb, side vacuum port plugged.
Small screw 4 turns out--Large Screw 3/4 turn out....
After it warms up a bit it does not smell rich.....Made two long vacation trips on this set-up, both bikes ran really well.

Common answers to questions on set-up: Original Mounting Studs unscrew from carb and must be replaced with longer studs, available at hardware store or parts house..... Ground wire must be attached to Carb Body....Throttle Cable mount should be attached to manifold or carb body, so carb will not move when throttle is opened aggressively....Be sure and grind a little plastic off mounting flange so the throttle pump linkage does not rub on flange.....I have not used this set-up on a 1000 or a 1200, but I am sure the manifold could be made to fit. Carb, I do not know ???
I am sure Carb Guys can change jet sizes and improve my set-up for a higher Top End, but I kept mine stock so anyone would be able to get their Old Wing on the Road....
Check Out member: fivestring "Another 34 pic 3 Build" it is very informative on carb jet changes.​

I purchased a manifold and single 34pict3 carb from SC Conversions. Nice set up from what I can tell. I plugged the throttle plate hole as suggested by Bill Gratzl at SCC. It did not work for me. The carb was un-tunable. Unplugged the throttle plate and adjusted everything as per Bill's instructions. Bike now runs, idles OK and revs great with no load on the engine. On the street there is a flat spot or stumble right off idle making smooth starts hard to do. Acceleration is inconsistent with flat spots which seem to be eliminated by giving the engine a squirt of gas with the accelerator pump. I've tried to tweak the settings with some success(higher idle with bypass screw, about 3 turns out on the small volume control screw.) The engine pulls strong once you get it above the low rpm flat spots. Bike is ride able and I like the carb set up but wish I could solve the flat spot issue. Any ideas or suggestions??

i think on that carb you can adjust the amount of sqirt with the accelerator pump somes to me maybe thats what you need ...the vw carb is just a two jet set up ..oldwing is rather wide rpm motor compared to the motors this carb is for ..id play with accelerator thats wht this is for to bridge the gap...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189397#p189397:g9xjnyuo said:
Rich1764 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:24 am[/url]":g9xjnyuo]
I purchased a manifold and single 34pict3 carb from SC Conversions. Nice set up from what I can tell. I plugged the throttle plate hole as suggested by Bill Gratzl at SCC. It did not work for me. The carb was un-tunable. Unplugged the throttle plate and adjusted everything as per Bill's instructions. Bike now runs, idles OK and revs great with no load on the engine. On the street there is a flat spot or stumble right off idle making smooth starts hard to do. Acceleration is inconsistent with flat spots which seem to be eliminated by giving the engine a squirt of gas with the accelerator pump. I've tried to tweak the settings with some success(higher idle with bypass screw, about 3 turns out on the small volume control screw.) The engine pulls strong once you get it above the low rpm flat spots. Bike is ride able and I like the carb set up but wish I could solve the flat spot issue. Any ideas or suggestions??

Have you done anything with the jets? I had the same problems when tuning my carb and I had to rejet the carb to get it right. Now I do not have the flat spot and the bike pulls like a train from low RPM to redline.

To get this carb right, you simply need to rejet.

If you follow the thread that slab linked you, you should be better than following my advice. I have it on a 1200 motor with a C5 ignition. The final result is the same though. With a little jetting, you can dial this carb in.

Ok folks. I know I'm a little late in the game but I'm trying to find the floor flange on flexpvc.com and I can't for the life of me find it. Can someone give me a part number? Thanks.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194704#p194704:25ge9f51 said:
cmclemore_2007 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:22 pm[/url]":25ge9f51]
Ok folks. I know I'm a little late in the game but I'm trying to find the floor flange on flexpvc.com and I can't for the life of me find it. Can someone give me a part number? Thanks.

Late or early... welcome to the game and to Classics!

Thanks. Glad to be here. I've been on the NGW site since I got my 81 about a year and a half ago. Been trying to get her going ever since. I followed dkl here from NGW to GoldWingFacts and now to here following his pvc manifold since it was right up my alley. Got my carb ordered and now I've gotta get the manifold parts ordered. Here's to hoping.

Latest posts