hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170553#p170553:oa1gpv8r said:
dan filipi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:48 pm[/url]":eek:a1gpv8r]
This is all to gain control of the over-rich dft idle circuit right?
Do you have a picture where that hose is connected at the carb?

the hose goes right in the hole where the mix screw used to screw in dan ....air and gas exit in the barrel hole of the primary ....with the gas cut way down by flat siding the plug i put in the gas feed channel and the screw in air hose air bleed im geting the best idle ive had ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170557#p170557:4gkj6q5w said:
joedrum » 20 minutes ago[/url]":4gkj6q5w]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170553#p170553:4gkj6q5w said:
dan filipi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:48 pm[/url]":4gkj6q5w]
This is all to gain control of the over-rich dft idle circuit right?
Do you have a picture where that hose is connected at the carb?

the hose goes right in the hole where the mix screw used to screw in dan ....air and gas exit in the barrel hole of the primary ....with the gas cut way down by flat siding the plug i put in the gas feed channel and the screw in air hose air bleed im geting the best idle ive had ....
So the air hose bleed is acting to vacuum break (reduce) the gas draw at the idle mix screw hole?
Just trying to understand better what your hose is doing so I can try it on the dft I have.

yes dan...... its raining here now so no more testing today it seems ... but im rather sure the volume of feed to the mix screw has to be cut way back this is a rather destructive mod to carb to do that ...that might be harsh statement ..passage plug at base of carb has to be open and a cavman jet made to reduce feed of gas to mix screw opening ....i did this by flattening part of the plug to let some gas in mixscrew area

ok ...i knew the idle issue of suging had to be something simple ...and it was ... another epa inspired bs deal ...on the dft carb ...it is fitted with the auto fuel shut off solenoid ..they are threaded with priority threads in witch no regular threads fit it .....so its impossible to buy a plug threaded right ... and the plug i use has been causing air surge that translates to idle surge ..so will be addressing that soon when i get back to Ga. where hooch is at ....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171798#p171798:33vb0krb said:
joedrum » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:08 am[/url]":33vb0krb]
ok ...i knew the idle issue of suging had to be something simple ...and it was ... another epa inspired bs deal ...on the dft carb ...it is fitted with the auto fuel shut off solenoid ..they are threaded with priority threads in witch no regular threads fit it .....so its impossible to buy a plug threaded right ... and the plug i use has been causing air surge that translates to idle surge ..so will be addressing that soon when i get back to Ga. where hooch is at ....
Good read looking good for sure//!

pics
image.php

did another carb mod to hooch adding a new air circuit....this seemed to help crispness even more on hooch ..just off throttle ...seems to be running noticeably better and it was running really good before ...

image.php

nice to see the bike ready to ride

image.php

image.php

look at my coke case cardboard intake gaskets i havnt trim up yet....

i like it when a make a small change and can feel it work for the better ..id say hooch is ready for a road trip ....tires are looking good ..the rear car tire is nice looking ...yesterday it seemed to spin the rear tire and pick the front wheel up some ...snappy happy bike it is under throttle ....did some interstate riding also and it seems to want less throttle for the same speed ..so im hoping for some really good mpg on the road trip coming up ...

also seems the cooling system is working superbly with thermo control and manual control of cooling fan ...so all things well :mrgreen:

pics
image.php

been slowly checking the bike out ..for the coming road trip....pic of the first plug check since the small carb mod was made ....it is for sure running leaner ..not a lot leaner ..but we are into the light brown colr instead of dark brown color plugs ....seems the intake runners are running a bit more cooler also ..even in this 90+ temperature conditions today...thinking about making a couple more small moves to try before trip .... :builder:

i have no idea how old those plugs are ..i got them yrs and yrs ago ..with a motor i bought one time had them in it .....did some other small changes and adjustments on the carb to today...love how it bolts right off and you can go through it and back on running in no time ..

with the new adjustments made ..it seems the idle is much better..and with all the adjustments i have to work with in this carb ...i may have gotten much better at the lowest of rpm running...we will see after a few test rides coming up before trip

pic
image.php

ok the pic shows the backyard air metering needles made for the dft 32-34 carb ...if you look between the barrels of carbs you can see the handle ends of the needles sticking out the air bleed jets ...this counteract some of the air mods made to other parts of the carb ..witch work well but lean things to much ...the air bleed port in the tube has a bottom so its easy to make a needle the right size and it can go in and out easy ....the needle is not tight in the air bleed it made so it just blocks some of the air ..id say where im at i probably raised the gas jet level two sizes on both barrels ....these homemade needles gives me a way to have instant gas jet control....i will probably go with these installed on the road trip..cant think of one down side to them ..if it makes the bike do better ....to me this is priceless tech that cost nothing to make ..just some nice file work and tie wire...

oh ...the balance of air and gas in the tubes directly makes volume change of gas in the tube before entering carb ..is why this works to increase gas in the gas charge... :builder: :mrgreen:

well so far i have figured out that i was lean getting to the secondary ..in the primary barrel ...i think hyde is thinking the same thing on his SCC ...dft carb set up ....after test rides i finally figured the secondary was fine and pulled that needle out and left the one in the primary ...this gave me wide open throttle operation again it seems ..road trip will be a good test ride ...i will work with carb along the way on the trip ...

Latest posts