My SCC adventure

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As easy as it is to pull and install, I'm trying the throttle plate adjustment first then solder that hole shut.

Short fat piece of thick solder can be inserted to center then squeezed to act as a rivet filling the hole.

Okay, I have the carb installed. How the H*LL do you hook up the throttle cable through that tiny barrel with the carb bolted down? Was I supposed to hook up the cable before installing the carb? There's no slot in the throttle arm to bolt the barrel on to the cable and clip into the arm. I got tired of failing so I stepped away for the evening.

Here's a pic of the barrel that the cable fishes through and attaches to the throttle arm. There's no slot in the arm that this barrel can be installed separately on the cable and slid into the arm.
34 Pict Barrel.jpg

I ended up pulling off the carb, installing the barrel, and fishing the cable through. It was a pain but was about the only option I had without growing a third arm. Once I have this this dialed in, I will look into the special VW cable attachment.

After we get back from a family event this afternoon, I'm hooked up again and ready to give her another go! Keep your fingers crossed. I gapped my throttle plate at about .003 just so I know that the throttle plate isn't completely sealed off and killing the bike. Hopefully I can set my idle from here.

I've taken a several month hiatus from the project. I got so frustrated that I walked away before I did any damage. Unfortunately, the holidays and other projects got in the way and the bike sits untouched in the corner of the garage. I've decided to try to tackle this now. I've invested in a nice new manifold, have all my plumbing in top shape, I'm seriously thinking the issue lies in the carb itself. Part of me wonders if this is why this carb sat in a box over 30 years? Was there an issue then? Regardless, I've read that many of you avoid the repop carbs on ebay yet some have no problem with them. I assume this is hit and miss with quality. I'd gladly invest in a brand new unit if you guys think it is worth it. The gentleman who made and sold me the manifold swears by the Chinese carb and says his is running great. What are your sincere thoughts on them and do you think I should take a shot at one??

I look forward to your opinions.

When I bought mine, it was used and it is a Chinese version. Fast forward a few years, and I am upgrading to a new carb when I install everything on the 87. There were just too many problems with the choke to try to get the old carb back to working order. The new one I bought was born in China, so time will tell if I like it or not but it doesn't look bad.

Even the new knock off solex clones are often better than rebuilt or used. Whatever you get we'll help you figure out getting it right.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199882#p199882:1lhn7kh0 said:
slabghost » Today, 6:52 pm[/url]":1lhn7kh0]
Even the new knock off solex clones are often better than rebuilt or used. Whatever you get we'll help you figure out getting it right.

Thank you guys for the kind words and support. I rescued this bike from a barn and brought it from a pile of parts to a full running thing of beauty. I got so frustrated with the 4 carb setup that I finally contemplated selling it. I'm not good at giving up and throwing in the towel.

I am looking at this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222062012224

I assume most of the 34 Picts are of the same manufacturer from China?

Lol you too huh? I haven't touched my wing since I swapped the engines and found the clutch now sticking from sitting. Actually, that's not 100% true, o started it for my brother on Christmas while he was here. Fired right up, but idle was never the problem, it was stumbling hesitation on wot.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

That's the hardest thing to deal with. They sit all winter. Then I'm dealing with dead batteries and bad gas.

So I found a really nice Goldwing on my local Craigslist. The ad stated that the bike had a SCC. I took it upon myself to call the guys shop and ask him a bit about the project. He used a Chinese 34 pict. All he stated was that he had to play a bit with jetting but it wasn't much to get the bike to purr and run great. This has given me a glimmer of hope! The guy was pretty cool and answered my questions. I'm glad I made the call.

Well, the Chinese Pict has been purchased and is enroute. Hopefully, this is it and I can get my wing back on the road!!

Look what showed up on my doorstep this afternoon! I couldn't wait to look it over so I took some pictures of it. This one has a 127 main, 70 air bleed, and a 55 pilot jet. I plan on spending some time in the garage this weekend!

Attachments

• 34 Pict.jpg
    34 Pict.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 34 Pict (2).jpg
    34 Pict (2).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 34 Pict (3).jpg
    34 Pict (3).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 119
  • 34 Pict (4).jpg
    34 Pict (4).jpg