Considering a clear tube runner build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Why clear tube? Because I've been curious for a long time what the charge might look like (if even visible) as it passes through. Maybe seeing it could provide info for others and future builds, and nobody has used clear tube yet I know of.
I'd size up the options using the type 4 manifold first, and also check the fit using the CI manifold I have. I'd cut a center section of the runners out and clamp in the clear tubing.
Ideas about this?

Got some pics of clear tube available at Home Depot. Wall is thick.

Not sure if you could see anything. There's not a lot of fuel in there. I guess you might be able to tell about a loss of atomization if it's dribbling down the tube? Still it would be cool just to say it's been done :)

I have my doubts anything will be seen even if smoke is drawn in the carb while running. Cool idea.

Interesting,what is a ci manifold?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I`m wondering if it would collapse, Allot of vacuum there...for that reason I don't think there will be anything to see but it would look neat. :popcorn:

Collapse is a concern while hot I'm sure.
I might get a piece and heat in boiling water to see how soft it gets.
The clear pvc fittings could be an option too I hadn't thought of.

If you have access to a smoke machine, you would be able to see the fuel/air charge as it goes thru the runners. Otherwise, without a really high speed camera, you won't be able to see it with the nekkid eyehole. You would introduce the smoke directly into the throat of the carb, where the air cleaner is(air cleaner off, of course). You would be best able to see the flow during cranking, when crank speeds are lowest. You might be able to see some raw fuel in the runners if you goose it hard from idle, but other than that, I don't think you would see anything without adding the smoke.
That takes of of the visual.
As far as seeing what the charge does as it goes thru the runners, it wouldn't be a valid experiment unless you are replacing the entire runner set-up with the clear stuff. If you just cut into the runners, and add the clear stuff, you have now created a different flow path than what was there before, since you have added new "edges", and probably different ID sizes that will effect the flow thru the runners. If you could add the clear stuff, and make it a perfect match in every way with the runners, it would prolly be more realistic, but....do you really wanna spend that much time on it?
I'd be wary of the vinyl stuff at operating temp, too, not to mention how well would it hold up to gasoline. Just for the sake of testing to see what it does, it's prolly otay, but I sure wouldn't wanna ride around with it set up like that without running it stationary for a few days, just to see how well it holds up(or not). All that being said, it sure would be kewl to see the outcome!! :yes:

well im not so sure something cant be seen ...it has sure sparked my intrest...i been giving this lots of thought ....seems to me one could build this out of all clear material ....runners plenum and all ...do i think its worth yes ....im rather sure it could be a huge dial in tool ...most car carbs do not match up with olwings that good and im sure where the dial in is off it will be seem ...there is lexan sheet material along with others and tubes also and its easy to work with ......so im starting to get some wheels turning here ...i think this is as good as any other pvc made manifold ...and many have proven sound ...like dkl set up ...

the wheels always turn at classic .... :hihihi:

What if a guy put dye in the gas or a fluorescent dye in there and run it for a short time you should be able to get a better visual and there would be a way to stiffen up that hose from the outside I think I might try to do that this summer if nobody else does very interesting very interesting I like the way everybody thinks outside the box and because I'm still a baby drinking out of a bottle and not eating food yet if I post something wrong in the wrong place please correct me I do not want to offend or do anything wrong thanks for your patience I can't wait until my son and Grandson gets old enough to apply a lot of these theories very interesting great job guys