My Single Carb Ordeals

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt Road Cowboy

Reaction score
Okay, where to begin . . . ?

I was born a poor black child . . ., wait! That wasn't me, it was Navin Johnson. :doh:

I was born in a crossfire hurricane. I was schooled with a strap right across my back. But it's all right now . . . :music:

Much better! :whistling:

Now, on to single carbs!

First off, I have 2 GL100's, a 78 that I bought running (poorly), and a 75 that is a project in pieces. The 78 is the one that I've been trying to get going for a few years now.
When I got it, I knew nothing about GoldWings. It was cheap enough that I could justify getting a bike that needed a little work. When I first rode it, I could tell that it needed some carb work, but once it kicked in, I felt the power and liked the potential there.
Besides, I've done a lot of carb work, how hard could it be? :smilie_happy:

(I hear you all laughing! :cheeky: )

After finding out how much hassle the stock carbs are, I found out about the single carb conversions. I bought a manifold on ebay from Juan Hernandez that was supposed to work on the GL1000. It is kind of "H" shaped and uses the 34 Pict 3 VW carb.

Then, things got put on hold because the bike kept going through stators! :rant: After it ate the first 2, I almost put a GM alternator on it. I contacted Dan about a Poor Boy, and found out that there wasn't a kit for the 1000. :cheeky:
A few years later, I found a brand new Rick's Stator for $29, and couldn't pass it up! :Egyptian:

I also bought a new Empi carb to go on the manifold, and followed the setup procedures correctly, buy I could never get the idle to stay consistently below 2500-3000. It ran fairly well, but putting it in gear at that rpm made a loud clank that I knew couldn't be good for the trans. I messed around with it for a few months, but it is just too much carb for the 1000. I probably could have tried the 30 Pict 3. I have heard it works better with the smaller 4 cylinder.

I came across Westgl's build on the SS forum, and decided to give it a try since Tom's carb is supposed to work better on the 1000's. I bought one from Tom, as well as an adapter to go from the 2 barrel carb to the 1 barrel intake. It worked better, but not great.

The main problem is the hesitation when I open the throttle for the second barrel. Tom warned me that this would happen if I didn't heat the intake. The fuel condenses when it hits the cold intake instead of vaporizing, so the engine sucks in liquid fuel, not vapor.
The 2-into-1 adapter was ice cold, even in the Texas summer heat (105º+). CM85 (I know, a bad word around here :Doh2: ) was very helpful on the SS forum, and made several suggestions that made small improvements, so I know it does improve when the manifold is heated. (YMMV)

So, I bought a Type 4 plenum off the Samba site, but haven't had a chance (or the $$$) to have a plenum heater welded on. :roll:

I really want to like these OldWings, but it gets so frustrating trying to get everything to work, and no reward of riding! :crying:

There have been so many times that I was just tempted to quit, part them out, and start all over with something easier to work on! :rant:

But, I'm still here (for now), and haven't given up yet! :wave:

The 34-3 can work well on the 1100.....I have no experience with the 1000.....some one will be along with info on the 1000.....which carb do you want to use ?

I'm going to use Tom's 2 barrel. It was starting to run pretty good on there, with a big power boost.

If that doesn't work, I'll try a 30 Pict 3 on either Juan's manifold or a PVC one.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=180546#p180546:qyff6yfz said:
dkl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:58 pm[/url]":qyff6yfz]
Does the GL1000 have a vacuum advance ????

No, at least I'm pretty sure that it doesn't. If it does, then I have another problem that I never knew about! :mrgreen:

I've heard that the 34-3 works good with the 1100 & great with the 1200, but it's too much for the 1000. I'd be willing to trade a 34-3 for a 30-3 if anyone had one! :wave:

I think that I'll be in much better shape if I can get some heat to the plenum like Tom suggested.

Empi carb will need a lot of modifications to run right. I suggest you go back to the solex since you are already frustrated. Once you have one bike rideable you can work on the 75 with the empi. Heat is a bandage for crab design. Cold fuel charge has a great deal more power than a heated charge. Vapor although very flammable has far less power than atomized fuel.
1000 motors have mechanical ignition advance only. Which brings the question of what ignition is being used.

I'm just running the points ignition right now with GL1500 coils. I have a Dyna system, but I don't even want to bother putting it in until I get a carb working right.

I don't have a Solex, just the Empi 34 Pict 3 and Tom's progressive 2 barrel.

With no vacuum advance did you plug both vacuum ports on the 34-3 individually (not run a line and connect the ports together)? Did you hook up electric choke and adjust it by the book ?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180550#p180550:yyfi4q4c said:
Dirt Road Cowboy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:14 pm[/url]":yyfi4q4c]
I'm just running the points ignition right now with GL1500 coils. I have a Dyna system, but I don't even want to bother putting it in until I get a carb working right.

Okay I was dead wrong. Confused empi with the Stovebolt carb. Single will work. Read dkl's posts.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=180552#p180552:2fsa29iw said:
dkl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:24 pm[/url]":2fsa29iw]
With no vacuum advance did you plug both vacuum ports on the 34-3 individually (not run a line and connect the ports together)? Did you hook up electric choke and adjust it by the book ?

Yes, I capped both ports separately, hooked up the choke and adjusted it many times. I bought larger and smaller jets to try that route.
Nothing helped. :nea:

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=180553#p180553:2fgzxfkr said:
slabghost » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 pm[/url]":2fgzxfkr]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180550#p180550:2fgzxfkr said:
Dirt Road Cowboy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:14 pm[/url]":2fgzxfkr]

Okay I was dead wrong. Confused empi with the Stovebolt carb. Single will work. Read dkl's posts.

I read dkl's posts, and like the PVC idea. I may use the flex PVC with the VW plenum.

Either the 34-3 is just too much, or the Empi just sucks and needs replaced. :whip:

we jeard this from others ..that the empi is shody made .....be nice to figure it out on whats different with it ...or you have the dft ....i do on my modded 1200 motor ....i really like the dft and have it dial in good for me...bike very fast ...has the type 4 manifo;d set up with grab bar runners 1 1/2" big

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180558#p180558:3u4fn4w6 said:
joedrum » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:40 pm[/url]":3u4fn4w6]
we jeard this from others ..that the empi is shody made .....be nice to figure it out on whats different with it ...or you have the dft ....i do on my modded 1200 motor ....i really like the dft and have it dial in good for me...bike very fast ...has the type 4 manifo;d set up with grab bar runners 1 1/2" big

I like the dft, especially when the secondary barrels open. :shock: I just have to find a way around that bog. Maybe the VW plenum will be better than the 2-into-1 adapter going into Juan's manifold.

I like my new single runner pvc version better. DKL V2.0. Check out fivestring post on installing it on his 1100,,,,the videos on the manifold are also in my thread..... Got to be a 1000 single carb owner here that will chime in..........

I got some PVC pieces for the intake,

image.php

Measured the locations for the elbows, and screwed them down to a piece of plywood,

image.php

And started to roughly lay out the parts,

image.php

I'm using 1" PVC with 1 1/4" connectors. I have some 1 1/4" hose to connect the runners to the VW plenum. Hopefully, this carb/intake combination will finally give me a rideable Wing! :whip:

Now that I know how to post pictures . . .

This is the old intake that I bought several years ago from Juan Hernandez on ebay. It is supposed to work with the 34 Pict 3 on a GL1000, but I never could get that setup to stay idling right under 3000 RPM:

image.php

Later on, I heard from some others that this setup worked for the GL1100, but was too much for the 1000.

I ended up getting the 32/32 from Tom Langdon, and trying this adapter setup:

image.php

image.php

Here is the throttle cable bracket that I made from some scrap metal that I had:

image.php

That setup did work much better, but there was some bogging when I accelerated. The idle was around 1100 to 1500 RPM.
I am hoping that the VW plenum and PVC runner setup will be the solution for the GL1000.

hmmmmmm i think the set up will work ....have to be careful making sure it seals good at joints ....and theres not to much pressure on intake horns to mount at heads ....so it seals there good also.....but as things go with SCC....it the carb that needs the most work dialing in ...there is no reason SCC shouldnt work on 1000 motor ...in my opinion ...the dft or tom carb might take a bit of modding to dial in great ....mine did but it was worth it ......it is mounted to a type 4 plenum...and is finished off with grab bar runners to the head and no intake horns used ....works great and seals great ...seems either manifold you have should work to me and either carb also