Best SCC setup thus far??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmyoch

Reaction score
I'm giving my 4 carb rack one more cleaning but during this entire time, I'm not enjoying it and I have a feeling deep down that I'm just wasting my valuable time when I should just move forward with a single carb. I've read posts on here that date back 5 years or better regarding the conversion. So I have two questions for you.

1. Which setup did you end up with that you are the happiest?

2. What is the longevity of your conversion? Are you still running the same setup with no issues years later?

The last post, besides mine, was in December 2016. Either everyone is happy and out riding or who knows what? So far, I have an Empi Type 4 manifold in my cart and either a Solex or 2 barrel bookmarked to decide what to go with. I'm figuring out intake runners right now.

I really want to lean away from the PVC setup. I do not doubt it works but I really want a metal intake, not PVC.

Care to share your thoughts?

I've seen that. I'm not ruling that out but will want to use my existing downtubes for now. I like the thought of restricting the flow a bit by reducing the runner diameter before flowing downward into the head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191754#p191754:2pxqr717 said:
cmyoch » 12 minutes ago[/url]":2pxqr717]
I've seen that. I'm not ruling that out but will want to use my existing downtubes for now. I like the thought of restricting the flow a bit by reducing the runner diameter before flowing downward into the head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Why restrict flow at all?

I believe I read in joedrums thread how he reduced the runner diameter a tad and had good results. Maybe I misunderstand the concept still. This is why I'm reaching out for what setups are still in action over time and what you are happy with.

The single Solex carbs seem easiest to set up and intake manifolds seem to all work. From 1" to 1 1/2". The restrictor you mention was an experiment used to trick the carb. Joe has spent years adjusting his carb to his satisfaction and is now running his with the grab rail runners.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191765#p191765:hkx1mva9 said:
slabghost » 32 minutes ago[/url]":hkx1mva9]
The single Solex carbs seem easiest to set up and intake manifolds seem to all work. From 1" to 1 1/2". The restrictor you mention was an experiment used to trick the carb. Joe has spent years adjusting his carb to his satisfaction and is now running his with the grab rail runners.

I consider the grab rail runner also. My father is a retired welder and can weld up flanges is necessary. I have been looking details on how it attaches to the head and also what bends are necessary in the rails to make it all fit.

Once I get my carb rack put together, before installing, I plan on tracing out the pattern on a sheet of plywood to map out a pattern for the new intake setup.

Grab rails already have flanges for mounting. Stainless steel can be tough to drill and shape. No one has bent grab bars to fit. They are just angled to the type 4 manifold and joined there with rubber tubing and clamps.

True, but there's not pipe bending or welding involved so it can't be too terribly bad, right? I assume the toughest fabrication will be a bracket or brackets for cables?

There's a guy that lives close to where I work that has several VW's. I plan on stopping by one day this week to see if he has any spare carbs or manifolds. I'm not sure what carb I will end up with as of yet but worst case scenario, I have a Solex bookmarked on ebay.

Help me understand what to avoid. Are there certain brands?

There's a VW collector locally that I plan on paying a visit this week to see what manifolds he has.

I have no firsthand experience but I have read many of threads about manifold builds..But I like my stock 4 barrel Honda, the easiest one I read was a feller over on ngw forum that used the empi plenum with corrugated radiator hose(wire reinforced) but later in the thread he switched to another hose type that worked better.
Cant say I have been reading single carb threads in the last couple few years so maybe there is a better way...the guy I am talking about uses a center mount GM alternator that sits under the tank above the engine, had a in depth thread going on it some 5 years ago.
Think the easiest plug and play may be the single withe the pre fab manifold but you need to watch what single Solex you buy, not all Solex or Solex style single barrel carbs are equal, some bolt on and go with little adjustment then some have to dick around with jetting(think what you want is the 1200-1300 CC VW carb) ...you lose top end with the single(airflow) but if you just want to cruise around while your building a 2 barrel that may be the easiest.
Hope I am steering you right..others can jump in if I am wrong.

A real Solex carb you will probably not have a problem with them and they can be rebuilt over and over again as long as the body isn't broken. But there are several after market makers that make a "solex" look alike and, well, the quality isn't the same. I have been monkeying around with some idle issues on mine for the last several weeks and I am pretty sure that my problems stem from the fact that I have one of these less the spec generic types.

What I have found with this set-up, idle was/is the hardest thing to get correct. Anything after idle, the carb is adjusted perfectly and the motor just pulls like a train. I took the easy way out and bought a used setup with a pre-manufactured manifold. I will probably be buying another carb sometime in the future because I intend to put this on my 87 when I have the 84 back on the road again.

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191789#p191789:2yovfwo6 said:
brianinpa » Today, 11:08 am[/url]":2yovfwo6]
A real Solex carb you will probably not have a problem with them and they can be rebuilt over and over again as long as the body isn't broken. But there are several after market makers that make a "solex" look alike and, well, the quality isn't the same. I have been monkeying around with some idle issues on mine for the last several weeks and I am pretty sure that my problems stem from the fact that I have one of these less the spec generic types.

What I have found with this set-up, idle was/is the hardest thing to get correct. Anything after idle, the carb is adjusted perfectly and the motor just pulls like a train. I took the easy way out and bought a used setup with a pre-manufactured manifold. I will probably be buying another carb sometime in the future because I intend to put this on my 87 when I have the 84 back on the road again.

image.php

Your setup is what I was initially after. I made friends with a local VW guru today. He has a Type 4 plenum and a progressive carb that needs rebuilding for $100. He's leaving town tonight and won't be back until Friday. I have 4 days to decide if I want this or not.

Here is one picture of what he's offering. There's no identifying info in the photo as to what carb it is. According to the seller, it was a running carb, he switched to a dual setup and set this on the shelf upside down so no fuel would sit in it. I assume it will need a rebuild kit at minimum.

Is the $100 price tag worth it? I plan on offering $80 and go from there.

Attachments

• Type 4 Carb.jpg
    Type 4 Carb.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 125