LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 19th, 2017, 1:16 am
Who Is Online: No registered users .... 2 guests
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Goldwing Customizing » Single carb and other custom fuel delivery Mod's

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 2:20 am

Topic author

Total Posts: 115
Active Topics: 3

Local time: August 19th, 2017, 5:16 am
My Rides: 1977 cb550k, 1975 cb550k, 1982 GL1100, 2013 wr250r, 1968 z50

I have a solex clone from eBay, with a mid throttle stumble or bog. It was rideable but got terrible mileage and was aggravating. Second engine hasn't been ridden yet but my neutral tests reveals the same so far.

I find a lot of gas is pooling inside the manifold. Left side of engine (cylinders 2 and 4) seems richer than right.

My adjustments are as described in the paper that came with the setup, although I have played around a bit with minimal changes.

Post subject: Re: My SCC adventure
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 2:31 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14219
Active Topics: 145

Total Images: 112
My Rides: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Setting it as it should be for car use will not be enough to function correctly on the bike. Add another washer seal to the float valve assembly to lower the float a bit. Then adjust the air fuel mix screw to highest rpm and vacuum. Go to minimum throw on the accelerator pump and you should be very close to the settings you need.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 4:59 am

Topic author

slabghost wrote:
Setting it as it should be for car use will not be enough to function correctly on the bike. Add another washer seal to the float valve assembly to lower the float a bit. Then adjust the air fuel mix screw to highest rpm and vacuum. Go to minimum throw on the accelerator pump and you should be very close to the settings you need.

Can you explain the float valve more? I just rode it to work and it's still bogging bad. I need to goose the throttle to get it to accelerate after a certain rpm. Now that it's parked there is some fuel dripping from the body of the carb, maybe the float gasket. Again, for a brand new carb, what a piece of junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 5:40 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17021
Active Topics: 181

Total Images: 1552
My Rides: A bunch in the works

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Don't get discourage ...all of today's carbs are junk as mandated by the epa dimwits of IQ..after riding awhile check the plugs to see if it's running rich or lean ...things sound rich to me ...I'd take carb off and lower the float level till the bowl quits leaking ...bowl gasket can't leak unless gas is up at that level

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 6:05 am

Topic author

joedrum wrote:
Don't get discourage ...all of today's carbs are junk as mandated by the epa dimwits of IQ..after riding awhile check the plugs to see if it's running rich or lean ...things sound rich to me ...I'd take carb off and lower the float level till the bowl quits leaking ...bowl gasket can't leak unless gas is up at that level

Yeah I noticed it after it was on the side stand.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 6:47 am

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5437
Active Topics: 158

Total Images: 329
My Rides: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

slabghost wrote:

Can you explain the float valve more? I just rode it to work and it's still bogging bad. I need to goose the throttle to get it to accelerate after a certain rpm. Now that it's parked there is some fuel dripping from the body of the carb, maybe the float gasket. Again, for a brand new carb, what a piece of junk.

The float needle valve (#5) is what shuts off fuel coming into the carb. the distance between the needle valve and the float is adjusted by increasing/decreasing the thickness of the washer (#4) that goes between the needle valve and the upper carb housing (#3)

It's just a matter of adjusting the carb to the motor that it is being used on. Keep in mind that most VW engines do not tilt side to side as it goes into a turn like a bike motor does, so you cannot really expect the carb to function 100% right out of the box... adjustments are needed.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#7  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 9:42 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 2999
Active Topics: 290

Total Images: 19
Local time: August 19th, 2017, 2:16 am
My Rides: 1980 Interstate

Profile Personal album

I had heard years ago about a leaking idle solenoid in the clones,..The fellas here have some good ideas with the float check/adjustment, sometimes it helps to go to the place where the clones are used most..this samba post has some info if you scroll through it might find something.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... ?p=5615573

Jeff

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#8  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 10:38 am

Topic author

I wanted to add something in here that I noticed and may be a symptom of a float issue as well. I have two fuel filters on the bike. One right by the petcock and another right before the carb inlet. So basically one pre and one post pump. All of the hose that I am using is 3/16id fuel hose that fits snug to the fuel-pump fittings. While running at idle speed the bottom filter you can see fuel swirling around but the top one never fills. It gets up to midway until it can go into the carb.

My thought is that the float isn't working and so the required fuel volume is more than the pump and lines can flow thus causing the filter to never fill completely. Am I right for thinking this?

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#9  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 11:07 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 2999
Active Topics: 290

Total Images: 19
My Rides: 1980 Interstate

Profile Personal album

I would want to look at that float and valve , one thing mentioned in a post at the samba was that the float needles were cheap and when clones were purchased was best to replace needle and seat with a quality aftermarket. Also when I was researching filters I found there was a minimum fuel pressure required depending on the microns filtered, obviously the tighter the media the more pressure required but that`s just a thought, not saying it is your problem.

Jeff

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#10  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 11:11 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14219
Active Topics: 145

Total Images: 112
My Rides: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

I've never seen a see through fuel filter ever actually fill up. All of them maintained an air pocket in them.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#11  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 11:22 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17021
Active Topics: 181

Total Images: 1552
My Rides: A bunch in the works

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Good stuff in the samba forum link.....basically the the fuel shut off solenoid is a huge problem ..most carbs that have this ...the solenoid shut off don't actually do the job ...if you ever seen the first ones they made ...you see the newer ones are just junk and don't work and carb will leak down to idle feed level...if float is not shutting things down as in flow and you have full tank it can drain a lot of fuel in motor....

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#12  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 11:45 am

Topic author

Yeah well I just went to and from work on a little over 1/4 tank. That's about 18 miles. So yeah fuel is definitely getting grossly overused. I will say on the way home it seemed way more rideable than going to work.

I agree I have to pull the top of the carb off. Don't know when I'll be able to do that though.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#13  Unread postPosted: August 4th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5437
Active Topics: 158

Total Images: 329
My Rides: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

When I removed my carb from my 81, I found the float was actually semi filled with fuel too, so fuel was never completely shutting off. Something else to consider and another reason to think about opening up that carb sooner rather than later.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#14  Unread postPosted: August 5th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Topic author

Garbage. Absolute garbage. I am so angry at this point. I really can't understand. First and foremost, the mixture screw barely does anything. Seriously. All the way out vs all the way in is such a slight change something can't be right there. I checked the float height and fuel level and that seems to be fine. Adding an extra washer made it way too low. The idle air screw needs to be out fairly far in order for it to idle. Like past even with the carb body. It sounds like a vacuum at idle even with the shelter and air filter on. I pulled the carb off twice. The second time was to verify that the butterfly was closed the proper amount at idle. I'm about to order a different clone off of eBay for 65$ and see if bolting that right on doesn't work better. I'm beginning to think one of the circuits has a bad casting or some sort of restriction, or lack of restriction.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#15  Unread postPosted: August 5th, 2017, 4:34 pm

:)
:)
C5 Club
Single Carb Club
Site supporter
knocker

Total Posts: 20160
Active Topics: 802

Total Images: 4013
My Rides: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
The air noise you describe sounds a lot like the cold start enrichener circuit my solex has when it is pulled to ON. When that is on, it will run at fast idle and VERY sluggish to accelerate. I don't know if the carb you have has that circuit. Did you post a picture of the carb?

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently August 19th, 2017, 1:16 am