side draft carb install possibilities

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
im considering installing a side draft carb along the lines of a mikuni or something of that nature on my gl1100.i know those of you using solex carbs like the 34mm carb.do ya'll think a 34mm side draft carb would be the way to go or perhaps another size would work better?thanks

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Unless of course it's positioned in a way that induced intake turbulence. Are you thinking old car or tractor side draft or big single bike side draft carb? Most of the bike side draft carbs are cv and will respond much the same as the stock carbs but with only one to deal with.

right now im thinking mikuni,its actuated by a cable much like conventional bike carbs are.turbulence is something ill have to consider that much is true.im just concerned with sizing before i buy a carb.thanks

Some have used a single off a big V twin on inline 4 cylinder bikes with success. You are not likely to get the crisp response that the purely mechanical carbs give though.

i have an s&s super e on my panhead which i believe is a 38mm carb.ive been tinkering with the idea of trying that on the 1100,but im sure its too big for the motor

Well some have used the two barrel carbs. Like Joe and a few others. Easily exceeding 60mm opening at full throttle. 38mm might work just fine.

My solex is 32 mm single barrel. It is for sure a bit too small at high rpm and full throttle, but being smaller seems to make it more manageable to adjust for lower rpm and get a good idle.

Two side drafts pointing inwards towards each other is about as close as the original design as you can get without just using the original 4 carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm duster I've seen this done on a wing before ....it seemed to be a bit off ..but ran ok ...the carb size being 38 ..is not something to go by much ...Harley are 1200cc making this pretty close in size I'd say ....the one I seen ..the manifold was no where near equal runner lengths ..and be the reason it ran a bit off ...

Joe,my thoughts are to use my vw plenum and mount a plate on top of it and weld a 90 degree elbow to the plate and mount the carb to the elbow and hope it works.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Right now its an idea,the execution will be later this year.unfortunately i have other things on my plate first.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk