carburetor, manifold & air cleaner for sale on EBay $50

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Will it fit on a 1200?" Maybe

The distance between cyls 1 & 3 (or 2 & 4) intake ports on the 1000 is the same as the 1100 and the 1200. The 1200 has a longer stroke, so the distance between the outer intake manifold bolts on cyls 1 & 2 (or 3 & 4) is 1/2" greater on the 1200. The distance between the runners on the gl1000 single carburetor manifold seems the same as the 1200, but the runners are probably 1/2" short. I have ordered a set of Gl1000 intake manifolds to see if they will make up the difference.

Another issue is the Gl1000 intake manifolds do not have a tab to hold down the Secondary Air System air feed pipes, so you would need to devise something to keep those pipes (or plugs) in place if you try to use the GL1000 intake manifolds and a Gl1000 single carburetor manifold on a Gl1200.

More to come on this.

Tom

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197919#p197919:1ne60puv said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:36 pm[/url]":1ne60puv]
"Will it fit on a 1200?" Maybe

The distance between cyls 1 & 3 (or 2 & 4) intake ports on the 1000 is the same as the 1100 and the 1200. The 1200 has a longer stroke, so the distance between the outer intake manifold bolts on cyls 1 & 2 (or 3 & 4) is 1/2" greater on the 1200. The distance between the runners on the gl1000 single carburetor manifold seems the same as the 1200, but the runners are probably 1/2" short. I have ordered a set of Gl1000 intake manifolds to see if they will make up the difference.

Another issue is the Gl1000 intake manifolds do not have a tab to hold down the Secondary Air System air feed pipes, so you would need to devise something to keep those pipes (or plugs) in place if you try to use the GL1000 intake manifolds and a Gl1000 single carburetor manifold on a Gl1200.

More to come on this.

Tom

Some of what I learned and did with the shorter manifold can be found starting here. The short version is that I use 1100 horns: https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170727#p170727

As far as the secondary air system holes, I plugged them with these: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ZMUEj0lQekmbSWeA0hRoCeK0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, using the GL1000/1100 intake manifolds allows you to use a GL1000 single carburetor manifold on a Gl1200. I'm using sealing tape where the carburetor manifold enters the intake manifolds to eliminate the chance of vacuum leaks.

Tom

:builder: Using heat shrink didn't enter my mind - no room for new thoughts in this old brain. Actually, I have sealing tape and I don't have large heat shrink so what's on hand won out. When you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. :builder:

well I don’t like manifolds like this ...that use Stock intake horns ....there thick really absorb the heat into them from the heads ....then there rubber ...on a boxer motor there’s a 180 degree turn till the gas charge gets to the clylinder ...I’m of the opinion this is where everything goes wrong ...this highly heated up 1/2 circle reeks havoc on the cooler gas charge ...turning it back to raw gas ...of course I don’t believe that SCC set ups need to be heated at all ...my set up is totally insulated from the hot heads and I want my runners cold as can be right to the head...then it’s just a 90 degree turn through the hot head only to the cylinder ...I’ve never have icing problems with this set up ...you would think fla. Would not be a problem with icing but the reality is the high moisture content makes icing happen there a lot ...I’ve had more icing problems with stock carbs than with with the shovelking grab bar set up he came up with and I also went with ...just adding a few mods to it ...turning it into the cool gas Charge system I use on hooch .....that’s my opinion...

I'm sure with some help, you'll get it sorted out. I have a few pictures from when I had this installed on the 1200 motor in my 1100 and I am getting ready to install my new carb on my 87, so I will be taking pictures again. The tricky part is getting the jets correct so that there are no stumbles.