81 gl1100 single carb using the motorcraft/weber 740?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

81 Gwing

Reaction score
first off its NOT a outa the box bolt-on and go swap that some have said :rant: ,you need to take off idel fuel shut off solenoid(or hook it up) and plug the hole just ta get it to run. then its jetted WAYYY to lean on the primary side. my plugs were white(like new) and my temp gauge was at about 1/2 way(NO vacuum leaks)(it never ran that hot with the stock carbs),AND had a wicken BOG when the secondary opened. the stock jetting was #50/160 in the primary and #60/220 on the secondary.while riding at 50mph it was surging,i reached down a closed the choke a lil,it straightened right and ran great(telling me its lean). i read to swap air jets,so i did, BAD stumble on the primary side.so i put the 160 air jet back in the primary side and drilled out the #60 gas jet....way better. even some of the stumble going into the secondary is gone... i also read where someone went 135/220 on the primary side.. what size hole is a #135 jet? ....... can someone post there final jetting using the 740 on a stock 1100 where you are sastisfied with the way it runs

No more often than not it surely is NOT an out of the box bolt on and go. Type of manifold has a bit to do with how these are jetted as well as which motor and exhaust. Describe the manifold you are using and I'm sure some will be along with jet advice soon.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124064#p124064:2phaacyp said:
81 Gwing » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:13 am[/url]":2phaacyp]
stock 1100 VW intake, stock exh with no baffles

? :headscratch: Do you have any photos?

im asking about jetting..... the vw intake looks like the rest of them.... the baffels are gone

Do you have the 2-1 barrel adaptor on top of the VW manifold? If so then I would be concerned about possible air leaks as that will lean out the mixture. You can use carby cleaner etc to spray around while the bike is running to find air leaks as the bike will increase in revs when it sucks in a combustible spray.

I wouldn't change any jetting until you have the adapter installed. :yes:

I'm at:

Primary,
Idle 50, main 115, air 175

Secondary,
Idle 60, main 95, air 160

My air jets are very different from others because I've experimented the effects it has.

On skiri's bike we increased primary main to 1.10 and secondary main to 100. All others were left as they came.

Both are running great with decent mpg.

135 jet is actually 1.35, meaning 1.35 mm.

I think it's mostly Westgl and captain midnight that insist it's bolt and go. Some others seem to feel the same while others do not.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124073#p124073:5bxa7l73 said:
dan filipi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:50 pm[/url]

135 jet is actually 1.35, meaning 1.35 mm.

thanks

I searched quite a bit for something that would fit the dft.
Coming up empty I order one from Tom.

This is my completed assembly:
image.php

In his 'kit' Tom sent me:
1. An aluminum plate which he makes up himself.
2. A 32/36 filter housing. This comes with a low profile filter but he also offers a taller one.
3. A plastic 90 degree air tube fitting.
4. A large thick O ring to seal the aluminum adaptor to the carb top.

What I had to do was trim the 32/36 chrome base to fit the aluminum adaptor.
I siliconed those 2 pieces together.
image.php

I also had to locate and drill a hole in the top cover for the hold down stud.

I used a air tool quick disconnect male fitting and 1/2" clear hose to the crankcase vent.
image.php

The plastic 90 degree screw cap he includes fits perfect to hold the 1/4" npt thread air fitting to the base:
image.php

ive been lookin. like ta find sumpin thats a bolt on.and my carb is missing the hold down bracket

file.php

Attachments

• DSC07170.JPG
    DSC07170.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 448
I have read of others using the stock air filter housing but I have never seen any pictures how they did it. I'm sure it's possible to mod it on but I think maybe the shelter lid wouldn't close if using the 2 to 1 adaptor along with the stock filter element.
Fyi, Tom's parts cost me about $40 shipped and he was able to dig me up the center cross piece with the pin and a threaded stud.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124243#p124243:2sbdrfic said:
81 Gwing » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:34 pm[/url]":2sbdrfic]
32/36 Weber DFEV DFAV Series carbs

would the air filter from this fit?
The 32/36 filter housing is what I pictured above.