rebuilding

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
For those that have read any of my posts you know that this is my first time at building a bike from ground uo, literally! I bought a 1980 GL 1100 from an old friend who was the only owner and he took very good care of it. When I bought it almost $yrs ago it had only just over 49,000kms on it (that is about 30,000 miles for Americans), he changed the fluids every year and ran it at least twice each summer. When I bought it he had put a 79 Vetter touring package on it, which had seen better days and I just didn't like it, so I gave away what was wanted and scrapped the rest. I tore the bike down completely and had all the metal parts, even the handle bars powder coated black, all the frame, fork lowers, all mounts, etc. I bought all new chrome engine covers, belts, rebuilt the carbs, oh and I also powder coated the wheels gloss black and put a set of bridgestones on. Now here is where my question begins. I still wanted a touring bagger and thought about the batwing fairing and harley bags but -nah! So I recently found a guy that lives just down the street from me and he has a 1982 GL 1100 but it has the Interstate package on it plus every bell and whistle that he could fit on there. Well after talking and finding out he cannot ride anynore because he lost the use of his arm in a work accident, I ended up buying the bike from him for $1000, it runs great, has only 78,000kms (thats about just under 50,000 miles for Americans), it has the look I like and every upgrade and wextra I could find in 20 years of swap meets. So my question is this-since I have my frame all coated and back togethjer and just about to put the engine in, should I keep going with my build and just take the parts off of his bike to make mine into an interstate since my engine has less kms and is fresh or should I just keep his bike the way it is, give it a tune up and some new rubber and keep mine as a naked wing? I really am confused about this. Even if I kept his bike to ride as the bagger I still would want it painted so all those parts will be coming off eventually, I could really use your help on this one guys. By the way, he is the only owner of his bike as well, so I am the 2nd owner of both bikes. I got the first one for only $500 as well because he has been a life long friend. So between both bikes I have $1500 in the purchase price but I probably have about $3000 mor more into the restoration of the 1980 GL 1100. Suggestions PLEASE!!!

Hi Ryan, I will speak just on my account, i think i would keep the 82 as is, and ride it while you are building your naked 80 goldwing. Get it complete, so at least you would have something to ride while you work on the 82. Then you can work on the 82 in a special time frame that you might can set aside for that project..maybe in the winter of next year or when ever is best for you....at least you got lucky being the second owner of both bikes, that is sweet...good luck....and enjoy.... :moped:

Keep the '82 as a dresser and the '80 naked. You will greatly appreciate having both for different reasons and different riding! The '82 is a monster highway bike! The '80 engine revs much higher on the highway because of different gearing.

You can always get bags and a windshield for the '80. I took my Vetter fairing off and went back to Standard but keep my Hondaline bags and trunk to get the best of both worlds!

image.php

My two cents keep the 82 as is and ride. Finish the 80 as a naked bike. You'll love the look and the ride of both. I do prefer at least a windshield for longer rides but under a few hours ride time just a good helmet is fine. Repaint the 82 when you feel like it. It's nice to have both options for riding and great to have one to ride while you work on the other.

Keep the 82 as an interstate and build the 80 to be your naked bike. No need to disassemble something just for the sake of putting it on another frame. Having a second bike in the stable is nice: gives you chices to ride depending on the weather.

You can't have too many bikes! Variety is the spice of life, and when you need to go get a part for one, you can ride the other...I could go on but that's enough for now.
p.s. try to take only one apart at a time.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135943#p135943:20zmihq6 said:
kerryb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 pm[/url]":20zmihq6]
You can't have too many bikes! Variety is the spice of life, and when you need to go get a part for one, you can ride the other...I could go on but that's enough for now.
p.s. try to take only one apart at a time.

Those are words to live by!

Well I think the answer is unanimous (?), I will keep the 82 as a dresser, ride it this season and work on the 80 as a naked gl. You are all right, why should I limit myself to one bike when I can have a touring bike and a city , county carver. I never thought about it that way, I think I was thinking too much. Thank you for all having the same answer, that speaks volumes! Very much appreciated. They say that HOG members are a real brotherhood, I don't care what anyone says-I have had Harley's, triumph's, and My very first street bike when I was 16 was a 1973 Honda 750four. As far as I am concerned, Honda people are the niocest peole you will ever meet on a motorcycle! Hey, I should coin that phrase, it is kind of catchy, maybe it will spread! seriously though I appreciate the input, thank-you!

Latest posts