GL1100 Front Engine Renewal Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a block of pine between the cover and hammer. Don't get too aggressive. A lot of lighter blows is better than a few hard blows.

Any tips on getting the dowel pins removed? I think those were what was giving me a hard time getting my cover off. Looks like they're corroded or something. I put some kroil on them to try to loosen them up. I can get new ones I just don't want to mess up the covers removing the old ones.

If the dowels are hollow fill them with a nail or something that fits pretty snug. Then using vise grips to twist and pull they should come out. If they arent too bad I'd just clean them up and leave them.

Does the water pump seal just pull out for replacement or does the housing need to be removed to drive it out from the rear? I tried to wiggle it out but it wasn't cooperating. Just checking to see how I need to persuade the bugger it needs to come out!

You have to remove the front trans cover, remove the three bolts on the back side of the water pump, then bump the pump out the front of the trans cover. You will need a trans cover gasket /oring set, oil pump shaft seal which comes with some but not all trans gasket set (just check to make sure the one you order contains it), and the water pump rebuild kit. The water pump rebuild kit should contain a mechanical seal, two sealed bearings, two o-rings and three crush washers for the water pump bolts

Okay just as a refresher I tried the build with no success. I have the full gasket set. I have a new oem water pump. Just curious how to get the water seal out. Thanks

Latest posts