Home made adapters for connecting vacuum gauge for carb sync.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbone63

Reaction score
I was unable to find a way to connect my vacuum gauges for syncing the carburetors so I purchased 1/4 inch brass hose connectors and an 5mm die. I use the die to put 5mm threads on the the brass hose connector. I was able to connect my vacuum gauges along with an aquarium valve and sync my carburetors. See attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 902
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 897
Now that's using your brain...I use taps and die's all the time... I think everyone should have a good set of them both, I got a cheap set from harbor freight, I would never buy another set from there, you will never guess why.... the freakin lettering and numbers comes off after using them several times and you can't read what size you have, not to mention they are kinda on the cheap side, but they have worked..I just wouldn't say they are outstanding...That's mostly the taps though..

wishbone63":1opkx94e said:
I was able to connect my vacuum gauges along with an aquarium valve and sync my carburetors.

What does the valve do? Sounds like a neat set-up!

AApple":7busi8ve said:
wishbone63":7busi8ve said:
I was able to connect my vacuum gauges along with an aquarium valve and sync my carburetors.

What does the valve do? Sounds like a neat set-up!

It smooths the pulses to the gauge needles.

So....iffin I wanted to go get one of these "valves", what would I tell them I needed? Would "I need an aquarium valve" do it? :thanks:

Thanks Gerry! Do I really need to use the suction cups....? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I poked around the house here looking for something, ANYTHING I could cut threads on, but couldn't come up with anything the right size for a 5x08mm die. So I went to the local outlaw shop to buy the adapters. Paid $10 to order and had to pick them up the next day. :doh:

scdmarx":2e71yst3 said:
I poked around the house here looking for something, ANYTHING I could cut threads on, but couldn't come up with anything the right size for a 5x08mm die. So I went to the local outlaw shop to buy the adapters. Paid $10 to order and had to pick them up the next day. :doh:

5mm brake line. Cut to length and add threads. :good:

89-300ce":z8pd4grn said:
5mm brake line. Cut to length and add threads. :good:
Didn't happen to have any 5mm brake like here. Had some 3'16" but it wouldn't work. I figured if I had to go out and buy something, why not just get the ready made for 2-3 dollars more? It's not like a carb sync is an emergency.

Tha aquarium valves I use are slightly tapered and screw right in making their own threads in tha soft plastic. I recon brass would last better but Im Ole and lazy & cheep plus I wont likely use em much longer no how :BigGrin:

Latest posts