How to pick up a GoldWing...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a different version of this on a Goldwing a while back but they said in that vid to put it in gear if you can first.
I know this is an old thread but I am new here so I am browsing and adding my 2 cents :mischief:

But I think this is classic "I always park it like that...and walk away" Love it.

Last night my son's bike went over twice in a matter of 60 seconds :roll: The first time my daughter got off the back and it went over(she was off the bike), the second was just after I helped him get it back up and he didn't have it on the side stand right. The amazing thing...no damage at all. :Doh2:

~O~

I have picked mine up several times in practice but have never gone over inadvertently, but I have came close a couple times. Hint: Don't wear worn out sneakers on a rainy day and when you stop for fuel, watch where you stop because many times there are areas next to the pumps where cars have dripped oil.
Also, living in the very hot climate that you do, I would recommend the wide foot sidestand if you don't have it already. In Phoenix they called it a "desert foot" and it's almost a necessity because of all the sand. I parked in a blacktop lot down there once with the regular sidestand on a 100+ degree day and came back a half hour later and it had sunk into the blacktop about an inch and was very close to going over. Sidestand weight on a 1500 is about 75-80 pounds.

Attachments

• 100_5730.JPG
    100_5730.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,110
I had a bike go over on blacktop in Wisconsin when I lived out there makes it twice as difficult when the side stand is stuck in that junk.
Especially since the blacktop then cools down and hardens after the bike covers it, so its like pulling the side stand out of rock.
Since then I have carried a rather wide wooden drink coaster in the glove box :)

if your lucky you can pick one up with a couple hundred $ and a trailor and get it to run in a couple hrs ...is my preferred way to pic up an oldwing ... :hihihi: :yahoo: :hihihi: :mrgreen:

Two nights ago coming home around the last corner of the "dreaded driveway" on Red in 2nd gear I slid into a wheel rut and stalled. Got my left leg out but that was about all, cornering uphill with a stalled engine it was only milliseconds before we were horizontal. What made it worse as how it landed the tires were in the air. Had to drag it around so Red was facing up the hill so that I could attempt to pick it up. Too low to the ground to do a reverse pickup, had to remove helmet and gloves and many failed attempts before we were both upright. This time Red received some battle scars and recracked the fairing where I had previously repaired it. Again no video. That's twice in two weeks that Red has had a rest, I knew I shouldn't of washed and polished it! :doh: :head bang:

Ansimp, have you considered copter air lift to the highway and back. :smilie_happy: It doesn't sound like you broke any bones, so glad you weren't seriously hurt. I got pinned under mine one time and could not get it off me, sure was glad I had my cell phone, called some friends to come help me but I still laid there for twenty minutes. It felt like Hulk Hogan body slammed me. :heat: The moral of this story is sometimes it just can't be done without help.

Just broken pride, every time you think you have the hang of something reality sets in and gives you another life lesson. :yes:

Gee. I've seen that video before. Oh, I shot it! At the Wingstock gathering in Woodstock, GA back in 2008, I believe. That is Paul Crowder ("Trialsman") doing the demonstration. Quite a guy, and one heck of a 'Wing rider. With the GL1800, you can lay the big girl on her side to rub her belly and change the rear wheel in about ten minutes.

A couple of months ago a friend dropped her 2012 wing at a stop. I was riding the naked wing and went to pick the bike up. I was surprised by another rider who grabbed the top box to assist. They are really pretty easy to upright alone...Ive had to pick her bike up on more than 1 occasion. Caught on video for all to remember,LOL
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEdsAWGPWvQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUa5nV2VOnSSyPVjUdRIRZdQ[/video]

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93721#p93721:2pwqno6y said:
pidjones » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:18 pm[/url]":2pwqno6y]
Gee. I've seen that video before. Oh, I shot it! At the Wingstock gathering in Woodstock, GA back in 2008

:shock: I'm amazed at how small this world of our can be. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93728#p93728:2pwqno6y said:
Wildwing » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:34 pm[/url]":2pwqno6y]
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEdsAWGPWvQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUa5nV2VOnSSyPVjUdRIRZdQ[/video]
Looks like she braked the front wheel while it was turned but still moving a little. BTW "Issue 1 Mary Kate goes down?" are there more issues :hihihi:

~O~

When I seen the guy grab the back box I thought this video was going to have a different ending..!!

I just dropped my 89 Venture Royale a half hour ago on wet saturated gravel, tried that method but it still took two people,
Gonna make a welded bigger pad on kickstand.

There is some video where the 2 guys are deciding whether to follow her and get some more video footage. They then decide that she is too dangerous to keep following and not worth the risk so they head off with the rest of their group. :yes:

She was having a really bad day. that combined with a lead who didn't know where he was going made it confusing. we had stopped and started so many times including a few false starts. She can ride the crap out of that wing and I ride with her a lot. But she does have a bad front brake issue...that's when she drops it.p

Wildwing":345egwh9 said:
She was having a really bad day. that combined with a lead who didn't know where he was going made it confusing. we had stopped and started so many times including a few false starts. She can ride the crap out of that wing and I ride with her a lot. But she does have a bad front brake issue...that's when she drops it.p
I've had the same issue in about the MOST embarrassing place to drop a 'wing - when a guys walked in front of me as I pulled up to the GAS PUMPS AT DEAL'S GAP!! I stepped off, asked if they got the video, said I'm not gonna do it again, then turned around and popped her up. Someone on the side said "he's done it before, he knows how to pick it up." Thank God I'd had the wife get off first! Front brake has a powerful attraction in panic situations - you have to fight the impulse at low speed, but better be all over for a high-speed quick-stop!

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Slow speed rear brake, high speed front and rear. The main reason I don't like linked brakes is the change in low speed handling on poor surfaces. That said I managed on the last day of our trip to park the Rats Nest across the North bound lane of the PCH :doh: . It was hard to pickup as the road was sloping downhill and I held it up just enough to get the side stand down. Luckily it was only South bound traffic while I was performing my sleeping Goldwing trick. :yes: