New C5 Ignition fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice of you to join the conversation Paul. I've been trying my best to answer for you. Reading glasses? At this point I need a big magnifyer. :BigGrin:

C5Performance":nmahxra3 said:
I've missed a bunch of this conversation but here is the rotary switch I use. This military spec 4 position/2 pole switch has gold plated terminals and is the diameter of your index finger.
We have used other switches but this one is the most waterproof and highest quality I can find.

The wiring diagram shows how I solder the connections for our application. Bust out your reading glasses, those switches are small.
This is great info Paul! Where can I buy this preferred rotary switch? I checked your site just now and didn't find it, so what's the lowdown? [emoji16]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166882#p166882:311fdi02 said:
rob.lafady » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:43 pm[/url]":311fdi02]
C5Performance":311fdi02 said:
I've missed a bunch of this conversation but here is the rotary switch I use. This military spec 4 position/2 pole switch has gold plated terminals and is the diameter of your index finger.
We have used other switches but this one is the most waterproof and highest quality I can find.

The wiring diagram shows how I solder the connections for our application. Bust out your reading glasses, those switches are small.
This is great info Paul! Where can I buy this preferred rotary switch? I checked your site just now and didn't find it, so what's the lowdown? [emoji16]

I am updating our website as time allows and that is one product I never added. You can purchase the switches for $40 "naked" or $79 with wires soldered to the correct terminals, heat shrunk, rotary knob included....ready to install. I provide about 2 feet of wiring. Our tractor ignitions have the option when you order but I haven't gotten to the cycles. Email me [email protected] if you need one. I'm making five of them right now.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166880#p166880:60ub7o1a said:
C5Performance » Today, 5:26 pm[/url]":60ub7o1a]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166841#p166841:60ub7o1a said:
Fstsix » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:24 am[/url]":60ub7o1a]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166835#p166835:60ub7o1a said:
slabghost » 13 minutes ago[/url]":60ub7o1a]
You have I think four curves you can map separately on the C5 so yes you can set it to immediately drop to a more retarded curve. Switch turning the nitrous on can be used to drop back to a lower curve.
Awesome ! need to find more info , This is a nice setup ! the Dyna has gave me problems before . found to be in the main wire Harness plug fitting issue with stock ECU plug was loose pins not a very conductive fit got a needle and probed the female side to pinch more, problem solved, I will be looking into this C5, It must have also Rev limiter program also, stock is 7200 i run 8500

We can design a curve that reduces timing at the rpm which your boost comes in, our build a set of curves so in lower gears your timing doesn't retard (much) since you have no engine load.
You can trigger a map change using boost sensor or a variety of other methods. There are no external control boxes....all that technology is already inside the small module.

We can set rev limits in 50 rpm jumps and all four timing maps can be different. I'd love to help if you decide to change systems. I believe between optical precision and our ability to tune/change timing on the fly you'll never use anything else once we get it dialed in. You can run three dual tower coils or 6 individual coils. It won't matter to our new system.
Very Nice, so the C5 has more options by just grounding different wires, The Dyna works about the same has additional White ground wire only that when grounded will change to second Curve of of choice for me would be less advance curve #2 when grounded ..My street app can't go by rpm for boost, It wont boost at all even at 6000 rpm while cruising gently only when vacuum is dropped and Carb is opened up will it boost, Or never know what Rpm is at when Nitrous is applied just triggers when 3/4 throttle taps the Micro switch , could be @ 2500 rpm or 6000 rpm, Like to call the NOS the panic button lol,, Could use hotter coils i tend to run a bit rich, my coils are stock ,,Thank you for the reply and what a nice Deal ! I am putting this on my gotta have list ! now i am going to read up on your links so i don't have to ask too many questions. Greg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166891#p166891:sf93c7r1 said:
C5Performance » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:18 pm[/url]":sf93c7r1]
I'm never more than a day or two away from my computer. I encourage all questions regardless of how simple you think they are. We are here to learn :yes:
:good: :clapping:

My friend Mark and I are installing another C5 in one of his Wings. This time it is an 1100 model.
Here are pictures showing how I arranged our new MC-2 micro coils onto the stock brackets using factory hardware.

Since our coils are about 1 inch (cm) shorter, we mounted to the rear frame bracket only. An additional mounting extension can easily be fabricated if you insist on mounting with both frame screws. In our case, once the wiring and plug wires were installed we could not rotate the coil. I used a nylon zip tie to secure the rear mount just to be cautious.

I have a few customers who have done the same thing with the GL1200 models but as you know, I wanted to "do it myself" and see how it all fit.

Attachments

• 20160311_183732-1.jpg
    20160311_183732-1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 579
  • 4 TOWERS SHOWN.jpg
    4 TOWERS SHOWN.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 20160311_183742-1.jpg
    20160311_183742-1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 584
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169869#p169869:1s90xmto said:
dan filipi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:16 am[/url]":1s90xmto]
Stock brackets into existing frame holes, can't get much better than that.

I tried installing with the towers facing forward, but it was difficult to install with the plug wires on. Also I feel its best to keep the wiring toward the front by all the other wiring. Another method is to "hang" each coil directly to a stock frame hole. We ended up going this route because that is what Mark preferred on his bike.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172296#p172296:2hym2nsp said:
Mino » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:15 pm[/url]":2hym2nsp]
any new time frame for the GL1500 availability?

Not really. I have all the parts but since we've been almost two weeks behind on shipping it will have to wait for now.
Last year our sales jumped 400% (I'm not complaining) and it appears we could double that again in 2016.

Once things slow down a bit I hope to find a local owner so we can test fit the kit. If there is a problem with it, I want to have access to it personally.
If anyone wants to donate a crashed one with a working engine I'll gladly pay for shipping!

How much does this improve performance? Are we talking more power/torque, fuel economy, or just better response over factory? Seems like a hefty chunk of change so before I jump on the band wagon I need some specs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have been running the C5 for about a year now, I can't imagine going back to points again! More power, better fuel economy, adjustable spark curves on the fly, and I'm expecting even better things from it when I get my single carb hooked up! I know it's a big chunk of money, but you get new coils, replaceable wires, and the best darned ignition on the market (IMHO)! Plus it's darned easy to install, at least on my 1000 it was.

hmmmm ok what it provides is acruns liie a focketcutate timing to max...and a oldwinng motor neeeds that .....it has msde my bike with well diialed in and moodified 32-34 dft carb to handle the whole rpm range of my motor with flat spots at all...compared to before it like as good or better than fuel injection ...shows no need for anytting else...the c5 dial timing in just like a carb being programableadvance curve ...paul rom c5 custom programed mine ...and it such a perfect running motor ...dont jave power figures but it runs likr rocket...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175558#p175558:1lbzb5oz said:
nwhittemore07885 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:01 am[/url]":1lbzb5oz]
How much does this improve performance? Are we talking more power/torque, fuel economy, or just better response over factory? Seems like a hefty chunk of change so before I jump on the band wagon I need some specs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

After installing several dozen systems (including one two days ago) I will try to answer with science.
Since the coils spark three individual times each revolution, the starting is usually much better. Especially in cooler temps where fuel doesn't want to ignite.
The idle is smoother due to increased efficiency at an rpm where the carburetion is typically too lean (at least in the USA).
I have dyno'd quite a few and results vary greatly depending on carbs, the condition of your previous ignition, and operation variables. Short answer is yes, it does help performance.

Two Goldwing specific issues I see improvements with:

#1 - The popping back into the carbs is greatly reduced or eliminated. Our theory is with more fuel being burned on compression stroke, there is less chance of unburned fuel igniting on the exhaust stroke causing feedback into the intake plenum. I would say 75% of bikes are cured with the other 25% improved. I think that could be fixed with an hour of Air-Fuel meter readings and a good Goldwing carb guy.

#2 - When driving in town (around 20 mph) in second gear if you roll on the throttle hard, Goldwings tend to "hiccup" just a bit before taking off. All six of my Goldwings and most of our customer bikes have done this to some extent. I see the issue usually eliminated. It is probably recovering faster due to superior coils.

Please ask further questions but I have a difficult time explaining it to others. When you ride one with a C5 you can tell it's different. They even sound a bit different (or I am crazy?).

-Paul

I have found one thing is undeniable without making any claims that could be mis-taken as a persons own judgement, the idle speed increases doing nothing else but installing this ignition. That alone says it's improving something.
My own personal judgement is lower end takeoff is smoother, and what feels like more lower rpm torque which helps for the way I ride around town so I don't have to shift as often.

I have ridden on the Skyline drive before I installed the C5 and after. I did nothing else to the bike during the 2 years between the two trips except normal maintenance, so there was nothing else that could really explain the difference.

First trip, I was shifting all the time - up and down due to the hills. Second trip, I just twisted the throttle and the bike walked up the hill and rarely had to shift. If the motor started laboring too much, I just advanced the timing curve and kept on going without shifting.

Torque increase - yes. Horsepower - no idea. Fuel economy- I never cared about before or after installing the C5: I just add fuel when the needle points to E. Easier starting and smoother running - without a doubt.

Latest posts