Please welcome in our newest forum for the SilverWing called Mini-Wings!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
As a sub category of the Shop Talk and Tech references forum we've added the 'Mini-Wings' forum for the GL 650's and GL 500 Silverwings because these are such cool bikes (I especially like the look of the engine!) and we seem to be getting more members with them.

As has been the case with the 1000 through 1500 models, if you have scanned in repair manuals or Owners manuals, let me know so we can upload them to the gallery so we might help out the next lucky dog to pick up one of these great bikes!

I'll even post the first pics!! Not my bike, but too cool to not post!!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Yer such a tease, Gerry! :smilie_happy:
I would LOVE to find a good one that I could afford. I've always liked them, too, from waaay back. :clapping:

I had a 76 but it was a cx500d, not a silver wing but pre mini wing, loved it and smooth.. stupid dog on interstate caused me to no longer have it... back in 79...

Here's some photos of mine (soon to be).

Attachments

• IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 890
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 889
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 894
I want one too!
Wanna build poor man's Moto Guzzi out of it.

But the same line goes here..

Wish I had more garage space and no wife.. :fiddle:

.. wait, maybe if I sell my XS750..

Wow! this brings back some memories.

I bought a 83' CX500B, I was 21 years old at the time.

This was my 4th Motorcycle, at that time. first bike i had, i was in 6th grade a it was a CT70 red.

The CX500 was a nice bike, i remember, I had water pump trouble with it, but Honda took care of it for me.

It was a very nice and for what it was moved out pretty well.

My brother in law, had a Suzuki triple, I remember it had a larger than 500 cc's he wanted to race me really bad and kept going on about how fast his bike was, and that his bike was so much faster than mine was. I just let him go on.

Then we came to a light and he said lets race when the light turns green, I said OK.

Light turned Green, and I walked away from him like he was in reverse, we get to the next light he says, I was ready, then he says lets go when the light turns green, again i say OK!!

This time, I really launched as hard as I could from the light, and again left him far behind.

But i also had a Suzuki 400 that did the same to me on my CX500, so brother in laws bike may have been running like crap and did not know how to tune it.

One thing I did not like about the CX500 was the side exhaust, i went down going around some switchbacks, and gravel all over the road, and Me wearing shorts, exhaust header laid down on my leg providing me with a nice 3rd degree burn on the leg.

Bike was fine other than that I was fine

That's another nice thing about GWs, no hot exhaust nearby to accidentally rest on :good:

Well, well, well......Due to some leg issues, I started looking around for a lighter alternative for my GL-1100i as my daily rider. I happened on a low mileage '81 GL-500i on Ebay not too far from me that needed some love. Bike hadn't been on the road for 4 years, brakes were shot, tires were shot and had started to be used as a donor bike, but luckily only plastic parts. The bike had no fairing, front turn signals but had the wiring harness for the fairing. Long story short $280 later and a tank of gas for the truck, I had bike number six to join its brothers and sisters. Picked it up on a Saturday and had her purring on Sunday. I picked up most of the parts to put her back into shape. After an oil change and a carb rebuild, I bought new tires but I still have to mount them. I have had her ot on some short shakedown rides and fixing little things as I find them. I must say that she seems quite nimble and very smooth. I'll post some decent pictures once I get it the rest of the way together.
81 GL500i - 4.jpg
81 GL500i - 1.jpg
81 - GL500i - 3.jpg