Multimeter tutorial needed...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there was thread about how to use a multimeter but I couldn't find it. We need a proper tutorial listing the various uses of the meter for our bikes, how to do these tests and what he results mean in layman's terms. The tutorial will be stickied in this section. Thanks guys!

~O~

One neat function is if there are two wires and you don't know which color is ground and which is hot you can hook up either lead to either wire and if the hot is on a ground (black probe wire on the hot 12v) it will have a negative bar to the left of the 12v reading, if the polarity is right(hot probe on the hot wire) it will show 12v but no bar to the left.

I have a "beginner's" intro to multimeters in a PDF file, if Dan can convert it somehow for use here.... :read:

Or...this feller has several vids(multi-part) that are pretty good...but he's kinda long winded. :hihihi:

[video]https://youtu.be/ZBbgiBU96mM[/video]

:whistling: Maybe..... :whistling:

"You've got MAIL!" :hihihi: :BigGrin:

relay is tested the same way a solenoid. You have a coil side with two contacts to test for resistance and the contacts side to test for continuity once coil is activated. Relays and solenoids are electromagnetic operated switches of varying amperage.