shock treatment to cooling

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gee wizz ..i worked all in the blind when there was great pics and info right here in the copperwing build ...nice work bug ...what a great help and conferming post this is ....i looked at bug build thread again ...sheesh i know i had to have seen that ...gee my memory sucks ....hmmm i will look for the bolts your talking about ...seems i was figuring 1 1/2" length ..but 1 1/4 might do just fine thanks bug on that...the little fans are neat ....but i think i want a pusher fan for the outside radiator mount but you never know it comes out in the end ....im also dont have heat shield in use ....i like the open space there...

seems you and i do things a lot alike .....reading your thread you seem to have no problem in the charging issue once pulleys were set up in the end ....i can see ill have no problem there ......very nice work ....it gives me few ideas to ponder :yes: :thanks:

If you can hold up on the electric fan I have one in storage, its a small aftermarket for a car but may fit a GL better, yours for the shipping cost.

The 1.25 was the thread pitch. The common M10 bolt in the hardware stores has a 1.0 pitch. I'm not sure about the length, but one of those worked for me.

I like my little fans too but they're not quite enough. My bike still runs hot. I will probably go for a pusher as well. And I'm also running without the heat shield now, same reasons as you!

Here`s some pics, as I read some fans are protected so they cant move in the opposite direction, when spinning the fan in the normal direction it is smooth, when spinning opposite it makes a slight rubbing sound. I`ll hook it up to a battery and see what it does, maybe has spun in one direction so long it just isnt used to the other.

Update..It is settled, reversing does nothing, fan spins in the same direction either way. should make sure you get a fan that is either a pusher or can reverse direction.
001_zps3jvvl0qe.jpg

003_zpsfunssxjs.jpg

hmmmm looks great to me ..im sure spining the other way is new territory its never been to ....size and all look great ...Z my front wheel is a 16" 1200 wheel so im hoping this is a good thing for wheel clearence ...radiator dose not stick out past stock ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157775#p157775:2dfzvygc said:
joedrum » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:27 am[/url]":2dfzvygc]
hmmmm looks great to me ..im sure spining the other way is new territory its never been to ....size and all look great ...Z my front wheel is a 16" 1200 wheel so im hoping this is a good thing for wheel clearence ...radiator dose not stick out past stock ...
Size is good but it pulls air regardless of polarity(no push), unless you can find room on the engine side of the radiator this wouldn't work.
But your still welcome to it.

ok sheesh ...i guess a lot of car ones wont work for this reason ...unless fan prop could be turn over and mounted upside down on motor so it would push then ..id have no use for it Z

Think the ones that are reversible have a magnetic resistance when turned, sort of like the old cox model engines when turned, might get lucky at a wrecking yard, seen some aftermarket ones mounted foreign jobs, domestic too but by then when you figure time/gas and cost might as well buy one from the internet, ebay probably has a good price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-For-Chevrole ... 36&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-BLACK-SLIM-EL ... c6&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-12V-VOLT-ELEC ... 2d&vxp=mtr

I forgot to add my fan is a 10" and uses the same frame you see on aftermarket 10" fans so if those measurements are good for your bike then other 10" ones should fit the same, some 9" and 7" ones out there too if they will move enough air.
Many do not list the physical measurements on their listing but if you have a part/model number google it and you will probably find the measurements on another site like amazon.

I would go larger diameter Joe. Also a lot of these cheap fans don't have much blade pitch and therefore don't push/pull enough air :(

looks like a good deal to me.

Maximum Fan CFM: 1730 cfm
Fan Diameter (in): 7.0"
Thickness (in): 2.500"
Number of Blades: 10 blades
Maximum Fan RPM: 2,250 rpm
Blade Material: Plastic
Amp Draw: 12.70 amps
Include hardware for easy zip tie mounting

Pretty sure that is just start amperage. A lot more blades spinning there. Maybe through relay the initial draw from battery alone will not affect the rest of the system?

Normally motors are rated at run amps and don't indicate start up amps, that I've ever seen.
I think that's a lot for a 7" fan but the price is right. I do agree it may be too small but pulling that amps with that many blades it may move a lot of air.

The one thing I don't care for with aftermarket electric fans is to run those zip ties through the radiator fins, think I would see if some conduit clamps could be attached to the frame or some other way of mounting.
After reading the ad it says the whole blade assembly is removed to change directions, looking at mine it looks like the same could be done but still shipping would be 15-17 bucks and those are new and only 5-7 bucks more with free shipping.

The sticker on it says 12v 80w. That works out to 6.66 amps. 12.7 must be startup or them trying to make it sound more powerful.

:doh: you cant go by numbers game anymore .....today the world runs on lies ...to have expectation above lies .. will ruin anybody day...if those numbers were real ..you could power the bike down the road on the fan motor ... :hihihi: