backlander/V decide to end joedrum wire nut tech LOL

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pic of the bottom and what needs to come off

image.php

there is also a tab in the back ..disassembly is carefully push tab in one at a time and ouch it out slowly till all three tabs are unlocked ..i went slow here as im good at instant distruction LOL

further apart ....

image.php

plastic wore some and burnt some

image.php

the plastic burner terminal and the other one sheesh night and day difference...two prongs also loose beyound good contact by far also

i will have to look things over good to see if i want to rebuild this one or replace with new china stuff

Replace as once the terminals sink in the plastic it will always be a problem unless you use a relay to drive the ignition circuit etc so that current is no longer a problem. I like the idea of replacing your 40year old switch with a new one even if it is not the same quality ( could always use a relay also :yes: ) as the original. :builder:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184631#p184631:20zheb8g said:
mcgovern61 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":20zheb8g]
Don't forget that the main 12volt feed to the fuse box, regulator and power for the harness runs through that switch.
Yes, fuse panel really should be on a relay.

I'll agree with Backlander, imagine that? It seemed to be loose rivers on the one I pulled apart. I used a punch to tighten them up-- I think-- it's been five-six years. It is still functioning. I can't recall for sure, but I think I devised something to shim the plastic cover tighter.

ok ...hmmmmm...relay on iggy switch is what ive had on my mind also .....and of course this could also be where the sense wire hooks up too ....

that would bring in 4 relays in total with hi-lo lights relays in ...iggy switch relay in ...and also starter relay ....the whole system seems set up to have hi wattage off the switches ....

the relays i have are 5 pin relays ...this opens up to have relay bypsses wired up so if a relay goes fails ...seems it could bypassed by just switching a wire already there with connections on it

seems like it would just work like stock till you replaced the relay ....hmmmmm

i will try and clean up the switch right now and see how it goes ...this is really the only holding up getting the harness changed ...and maybe the proper crimping tool :builder:

ok ...its back together ..ill probably get a new one as some of the old plastic didnt make it without cracking up some ...it looks like it will still work as is but good reason for new ..plus i can use this no problem for awhile ..will see ...project a go to next step now

image.php

there are may changes ive made to the bike ...headlights twin bulbs ...twin turn signals...running lights in rear turn signals ....combo reg/rect ....c5 ignition....there also no horn wiring in the bars ..button and all is gone ....glad to get switch better ...will order new piece replacement :builder:

well im ready to start the wiring job on hooch now ...while bike is apart for head gaskets today...be nice to get things working good here for sure ..the wiring is just garbage on this bike where actual wires are bad ...time to dive in

pic
image.php

hopefully these crimpers will work ....opinions welcome ...the tool says nothing on it ..but it seems to be of high quality ...might be something cable people use to make connections

image.php

hoping the very end crimper will do the job

Latest posts