Trying to make sense of this rat's nest...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobtownMatt

Reaction score
Ok, so today I started tearing into the electrical part of my 1978 GL1000. I plan on eventually stripping this system out and going with a bare bones racing style electrical system, but for now I just want to get this one sorted out.

With that being said, I removed my top shelter so as to have better access to my coils, and I found the fuse box just sitting in there as shown in the first pic. Does anyone know where this would have originally been mounted, and is this even the original to the bike? Several things have been done to the bike electronically, with cutting and splicing being very obvious, which makes it harder for me to figure out what is what. Please help!!

ab08f4feefb7cd2857f3e806d8ee899c.jpg

433e67cc422c21eaecbd46f420d226c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Now for the next question. Where should it be mounted?

The inside compartment is not there. I have a single carb setup with a Weber 32/36, and the air filter sits to hi for the box to stay. It had to go. On the left side of the top shelter frame, behind the left side false tank, all of the other electronics are mounted, but I see no place where THIS ONE could possibly be mounted ted. Also, this fuse box has nothing on the outside that could be used to secure it to anything. It's just a flat sided fuse box.

joedrum":2jwr9k2d said:
yep it the way it came.....honda couldnt figure out where to put it either LOL
Seriously, Joe?? You're obviously kidding me, right?? Haha.

It looks like 75 through 77 had ears on the sides of the fuse box to bolt it to the shelter housing. I had to look at the parts fiche to make sure, but it appears yours is a 78 fuse box.

Well, yeah. Lol. It should be, being as my scooter is a 78 model, as previously stated.

Just giving you a hard time, Brian. Haha.

So, there are no mounting points on it, and no place for it on the top shelter framework. Lol. I guess I'll just leave it flopping around in there until I get ready to do the racing style wiring.

What I meant was that the earlier 1000's had a different type of fuse box that would have made it more obvious where it mounts at. It looks like the 78/79 changed a little and I am not finding any pictures on Google that show the shelter frame with the fuse box installed.

When I had my 78 parts bike, I know it was mounted on the shelter frame, but I cannot remember where.

Hmmmm. I think I'm gonna Google some images and see what I can figure out. It'll be easier for me to strip down the system if I get it a little more organized.

Well, I just tried to Google images of its location, and all it is showing me is fuse boxes from the 75-77 models, even though I specifically searched for 1978 GL1000s. I'm hoping cruiserlover can help me out, being as he just purchased a 78 as a project. I commented on his thread to ask him.

Awesome!! Thank you UT!! That would be a huge help.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181096#p181096:3jiv4exx said:
UTgl1000 » Yesterday, 6:30 pm[/url]":3jiv4exx]
I have a 78, I wont get home for another 2 hours and I can take a pic of mine and post it

We had a huge storm roll in last night and I didn't want to take the cover off her. But I did find this:

The fuse box for 78 and 79 is located under the tank flap, up under the gauges and it is held in by a rubber strap

Attachments

• 78-79 electrical.PNG
    78-79 electrical.PNG
    164.7 KB · Views: 255
Ah. That explains what the broken rubber strap is there for.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181081#p181081:2vren8ib said:
brianinpa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:09 pm[/url]":2vren8ib]
Was the shelter inner housing there? All the electrical components should be mounted to the left side... Or at least that's what I thought.

where did you get the weber and manifold setup.How does it run like that.Was it real expensive, and was it easy to install?

I actually salvage do it from a 77 GL1000 that is in my buddy's salvage yard. Had been sitting for about 6 years. Traded him all 4 of my good stock carbs. Paid $40 for a rebuild kit. And it installed easier than the 4 carbs setup. Simply install the manifold, attach the carb, and run your push and pull cables directly to the carb. No linkage system to worry about, and syncing is no longer a worry.

Latest posts