backlander/V decide to end joedrum wire nut tech LOL

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics
image.php

open the box and was shocked at all the stuff ...WOW......

image.php

in the bag is three different relays ...seems like at least 10 to 20 connectors ..also many bullet connectors and spades and stuff ...im sure he has it all maped out what i needed....

the harness itself had many wires replaced by backlander that he thought were not up to par ...all of this was done and rewrap it looks ...many brand new connectors ....every thing is labeled

it also has instuctions i havnt looked at yet ....im sure you couldnt buy this kind of prep on a product anywhere really .....

image.php

this is a wire nut and his daughter in a recent pic taken in the north where i just came home from LOL

on a serious note this thread i want to be guided by backlander ...he the one that took the time to listen to what i had butchered in the wiring the added lights and all ..the off yrs stuff i added and striped the reserve lighting crap out ...maped it all out ...knows where the best deals are on connectors wires and plastic and could provide cost of such stuff ...it is most certainly the way to go ..on such old bikes as mine witch was in horrible shape as in wiring harness ..all from sitting in a cover building ...non controled enviroment with concrete floor with no moisture bearier ....it trashed the wires connectors and all ...from what i know when i bought the bike ...it had sat there 20yrs without being move i will try and do his work justice on my part :thanks:

Hooch wiring couldn't be "that" bad. Heck, it got you up the east coast and back without a hitch.

...oh yeah, the heater wasn't working.

Seriously from me, too, it'll be good to see this improvement on the ole girl. She deserves a little love now.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184510#p184510:ztjzvfa9 said:
desertrefugee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:56 pm[/url]":ztjzvfa9]
Hooch wiring couldn't be "that" bad. Heck, it got you up the east coast and back without a hitch.

...oh yeah, the heater wasn't working.

Seriously from me, too, it'll be good to see this improvement on the ole girl. She deserves a little love now.

it wasnt bad ... but it was patched and wire nutted together big time ..actually wire nut are great connectors ...the spiral clamps ...if sealed after that ..corrosion is not a problem at all ..hooch has been going a long time like that ...as you said it been on some long trips ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184519#p184519:18scv4jo said:
Ansimp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm[/url]":18scv4jo]
+1 :good:

plus one is right ..after opening the instructions and reading them i just had to post them ..i just got done installing led lights that came with nothing on how to do it ...it seems backlander knows how to tell it like he did it :shock:

Hellow Joe,

Just a few notes about the wire harness and what i did to it

1I replaced all the multi wire connectors ( white plastic ) with new ones. I cleaned or replaced all all the wire terminal sends as I was switching them over

2 I included in a separate bag the matching half for you to connect to your wiring along with the correct number on terminal ends for your wires plus some extra. The bullets also have a clear insulator that goes on wire before you crimp the end on

3 It would be easier if you can locate, borrowor use what is called an open barrel crimping tool with the crimping die for 14 to 16 gauge wire

4 I did not want to open the wire harness so the the few few mods i did where done by making and installing jumper wires.

5 regulator/rectifier: Since the 77 used two plugs and the 80uses one plug, I made and installed a black jumper wire to accomadate the 80 model reg/rect . This wire /area would e a good canidate for installation of the 5 pin sense wire relay.

6. Reserve Wiring Unit: I found a mod by Randakks to bypass the Reserve Lighting Unit with the use of three jumper wires. This was done using three red jumpers.

7. I installed inline 3 prong headlight (soldered wires in)

8.i color matched the wire and installed inline one extra turn signal light set for each side on the front.(soldered wires in)

9. I have included in the package, three 5 pin relays with plugs and wire harness. One is for the low beam headlight. I did not install the relays because I had no idea whereyou might have to mount or hide them. I knew you said you did not have a headlight bucket witch is where most hide the headlamp relays and with other mods you have done, I felt it was safer to let you decide and take care of that. If you dont want to use the relays for the headlamps, you can always use them elsewhere, like to feed the coils.

10. I included extra bullets for you to use to connect the points hot wires to the C5 ignition.

11. I marked with masking tape, all the connectors and wires that i could so you would have an easier time of matching everything up with your wiring. You will need some dielectric grease, I did not apply any to the connectors.

Hope this works well for my friend. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best reguards,

backlander

WOW DOSE IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!!!

ther is much more detailed instructions sent ..i just wanted everyone to see how great this work blacklander did ..... :thanks:

The idea was to end the electrical gremlins that have resided on Hooch since day one. With backlander's expertise applied I'm sure the infestation will finally be eradicated.

yes .... i agree ..i am floored by the work done on the wiring harness and all the perfect easy to follow way it was done ...so second person can come in and do things without a hitch to complete ...every word he sent meant something ...just like the work he did ...i can only dream about rising to that level ..trying to make someone else understand what ive done with my hands ...for them to have no hitches when batting behind me on a job .....plain and simple i dont have that skill :shock:

I love all of Mike's advice and workmanship, especially introducing me to Shinko A230s.
:thanks:

I appreciate all the kudos but I am just one of at least one other involved in the Hooch wiring project. Slabghost, better known to some as "V" is the instigator and whom I intend to blame if it all goes wrong. :shock: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I've never met V or joe in person but from years of being on this forum, I know they are good friends and great old school bikers, they go by the code. If I have to explain the code to you, you wouldn't understand it. :smilie_happy: All I know is the code is being lost and needs to be brought back, some of these "sons of anarchy" bikers leave me shaking my head at times, but that's a different subject for another time. Here I am wondering around with my thoughts and need to get back on subject. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Anyways, V contacted me and the project was launched. The materials were supplied by V and I supplied the labor. The problem was, V is in Pennsylvania, I'm in Arkansas and joe is in Connecticut with the bike and will be returning to Florida. You know how cross eyed you get looking at wiring when the bike is right in front of you, imagine with it being 2000 miles away. :shock: :Awe: :Awe: Talk about logistics. We burned the private messages area of the forum up relaying information, but I must say it has been fun, with great communication between all of us.
Hooch, if you haven't followed the story, since it's beginning has been a journey, It has to be one of the most heavily backyard modified bikes that I've heard of with just the right mixture of modern technology thrown in for good measure. I'm proud to be able to contribute my part to Hooch's continuous build, joe and others will always have an idea to incorporate on this "work in progress" bike. I'm sure as joe assembles the wiring onto Hooch, there will be things to work out or change but that's not a problem, we will get through them. :rtfm: :Doh2: :smilie_happy: Thanks for involving me with this project. :hi:
One other thing, Thanks Dan for this forum. This is just another example of what this forum is all about.

well one of the first things to do in this wiring rehab is to rebuild the key switch ....hooch has been hot wired for quite some time ...any help here will be great .... :builder: hmmm might not be the right tool to use

image.php