1975 GL1000 UK version headlight issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgy80

Reaction score
Can anybody save my sanity, this sucker is fighting me every step of the way to getting her back on the road. Have got her up and running sweetly now and sorted out both ignition issues and temp gauge, now I seem to have lost Main Beam ?? Side/parkinglight no problems, Dipped headlight no problem but as soon as I flick to main beam the light goes out?? Checked the bulb and that is fine stuck a multi meter on the blue incoming feed for main beam and 0 volts, dipped scoring a full 12 volts. All other electrics working spot on by the way. Had the left hand switch assembly apart and thats fine and contacts clean. Have tried to follow the online wiring diagram but that is a US version with reserve lighting etc and it bears no resemblance to what I have.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Cheers. Paul

well no US reserve lighting unit is all good LOL what a piece of crap stupidy if i ever seen any

though you said switch looks good it sounding like the hi low switch to me ...could be the bulb socket also

0 volts to high beam is likely a broken wire or the contacts are just not touching. Try ohm test from headlight switch to the headlight plug. Power off when you do. If no reading the wire is broken somewhere. Possibly inside the insulation.

Use a high current test light rather than a multimeter or led test light.

Many thanks for responses will give them a bash tomorrow after work will keep you advised

Cheers

Paul

I found both my Hondas lost their running headlight within a year of each other. Both turned out to be a gunked up STARTER BUTTON. The headlight wires thru there so that when you run the starter the headlight goes out. Took the switch apart, cleaned & reassembled and good as new.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186294#p186294:xite6mlj said:
D-50Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:28 pm[/url]":xite6mlj]
I found both my Hondas lost their running headlight within a year of each other. Both turned out to be a gunked up STARTER BUTTON. The headlight wires thru there so that when you run the starter the headlight goes out. Took the switch apart, cleaned & reassembled and good as new.
thats a good tip for the US models. on the AU/Euro models the headlight doesn't run through the start switch.

on the non US models it runs as so.
from ignition switch to headlight on/off switch a black wire.
from on/off switch to fuse block a black/red wire :Egyptian:
from fuse block to headlight HI/LO switch a blue/white wire
from HI/LO switch a blue wire to high beam and a white wire to low beam.

sounds like the hi/lo switch is dodgy. i have meddled with the switch gear before and it has always taken me at least two goes
to get them going..... :blush:

i have a colour wiring diagram some where, if i find it i can email it to you if you like. M.

ps
i wired a relay in to supply power to my headlight. it is wired so the headlight on/off switch turns the relay on.
i did this to try to prolong the life of the switch block as those ones are made out of unobtainium... :smilie_happy:

here's a link to a thread on NGW that i took some time to try to help a fellow in South Africa. ( same switches as ours )
he wanted to add a relay for his starter, and we got off the track a bit. but some good info there.
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=relay

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186320#p186320:2xn5eody said:
aussiegold » Today, 5:33 am[/url]":2xn5eody]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186294#p186294:2xn5eody said:
D-50Dave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:28 pm[/url]":2xn5eody]
thats a good tip for the US models. on the AU/Euro models the headlight doesn't run through the start switch.

on the non US models it runs as so.
from ignition switch to headlight on/off switch a black wire.
from on/off switch to fuse block a black/red wire :Egyptian:
from fuse block to headlight HI/LO switch a blue/white wire
from HI/LO switch a blue wire to high beam and a white wire to low beam.

sounds like the hi/lo switch is dodgy. i have meddled with the switch gear before and it has always taken me at least two goes
to get them going..... :blush:

i have a colour wiring diagram some where, if i find it i can email it to you if you like. M.

ps
i wired a relay in to supply power to my headlight. it is wired so the headlight on/off switch turns the relay on.
i did this to try to prolong the life of the switch block as those ones are made out of unobtainium... :smilie_happy:

here's a link to a thread on NGW that i took some time to try to help a fellow in South Africa. ( same switches as ours )
he wanted to add a relay for his starter, and we got off the track a bit. but some good info there.
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=relay

Many thanks to everybody for all the info, I finally got to the problem in the early hours this morning, it was the blue wire bullet connection in that rubber boot thing that shrouds a load of connections and tucks into the frame void in the front left dummy tank casing. I hadlooked at and checked (i thought) all the connections but under a spy glass there was minute corrosion on the blue wire female connector such that the bullet lost continuity.

Interestingly the connection worked a couple of weeks ago when I did a full lighting teast but for some reason decided to bug me now.....

Once again appreciate all the input, and yes is you do have a colour wiring diagram for non US models it would be appreciated

Cheers

Paul

seems i am unable to send a pm , i have found the wiring diagram for non US model GL1000 in colour. i can email it to you
if you post your email address or i can find out how to post it here. M.

all sorted now... :Egyptian: Dan has a copy and will post it in the gallery.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186362#p186362:273ojj75 said:
aussiegold » Yesterday, 11:22 pm[/url]":273ojj75]
seems i am unable to send a pm , i have found the wiring diagram for non US model GL1000 in colour. i can email it to you
if you post your email address or i can find out how to post it here. M.

all sorted now... :Egyptian: Dan has a copy and will post it in the gallery.

Hi there, many thanks for taking the trouble, I did try to PM you with my e mail address but I gues I mat have screwed that up. Oneself again many thanks

Paul