1156 and 1157 led bulbs?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
What have we found for replacements led for turn signal and tail light with no modding. Any out there at least as bright or brighter than stock?
Only known and tried bulbs please, not interested in buying based on claims.

:thanks:

I tried 1157's from Pep Boys in the past for tail/brake light. It was not enough light and there was no white light on the license plate (which is required in New Jersey).

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187240#p187240:3fpdvbva said:
Denver » 12 minutes ago[/url]":3fpdvbva]
Have used both for years with good luck. :yes:
As bright or brighter than incandescent? Have a source?

Probably not, misread your post, did not realise you were talking L E D's, sorry. :roll: Should read more carefully :blush:

I like the ones that I used on the Rats Nest. Didn't worry about red illumination for the license plate. Still using incandescents in the flashers due to ambers not bright enough in LEDs 3 years ago and can't be bothered changing them as they don't get left on continuously and would have to change the flasher can as well.

I picked up a 2 pack of 1157 for tailight from auto zone. They look real good, at least as bright as stock incandescent. $24.99 for 2. Not cheap but not too bad.

These are .4/1.5 watt.

image.php

They were out of 1156 amber for turn signals. May hit up a couple other stores today.

Pricy, but I have used both 1156-1157 replacements from these guys and was really pleased. The ambers worked just as well. Also got white license plate bolt LED's for the plate. Also got the mini LED spot lights for the front and was impressed.
And what I consider just as important, customer service for a defective part was outstanding.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle/

I've also found that standard incandescent 2357 and 2397 bulbs are both brighter than the 1157's. They run a little hotter (and have maybe shorter lives), but I ran a standard 2397 in the Valkyrie where an 1157 normally resides for over a year. No issues. I recently went with an LED unit (forget exactly which one at the moment). It's not terribly brighter than the 2397 and my danged wig-wag quit working with it. I'm seriously thinking about going back with the 2397.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195870#p195870:1avqlm70 said:
wedoo2 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:21 pm[/url]":1avqlm70]
Do the turn lights need a load resister?
Yes if you do not upgrade to the correct electronic flasher, No load resistor required if you get a good electronic flasher unit. EF-32RLNP is a nice electronic two prong flasher with a separate ground wire.

One thing to remember is the factory voltage regulator is a SHUNT to ground so any amparage the Stator is putting out that is not used will be shunted to ground so saving power for gas mileage WILL NOT HAPPEN. ;) But if you do the alternator mod and get rid of the stator, good to go. Doing this so you can add more accessories or lights then it too is a good thing to do.

A few years ago I bought two RED 1157 LED's and two 1156 Amber LED's from SuperBrightLED.com

The RED are MUCH brighter. They have like 48 LED chip and about 1/3 are taillight and 2/3's are brake lights. I can see road signs light up behind me in the dark real well.

The Ambers also have 48 chips and will flash real fast without an LED rated flasher unit like Slabghost said above. But I mounted them in my scooters front turnsignals in the mirror housings that are normally DARK when riding and wired in a SPDT 5 pin relay to cycle them OFF when the wire has voltage for the blink. So they are off faze with the rear turnsignals. For the rear turnsignals I replaced the 5W21's (1157) with 2357's as they are not on all the time.

I can post the wiring diagram for the SPDT relays if someone wants to make their front turnsignals into running lights. You will need two of the 5 pin type (87a)