Gas Gauge Quit Working

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 83 1100's gas gauge just quit working. The temp gauge is working so I know it is not the 7 volt regulator.

I see a yellow wire and a green wire coming out of the gas tank -under the seat.
I have no idea where they end up.

Can any one advise me on this?

Chances are good that it's probably the sending unit itself. But try wiring first. Ground the yellow wire with power on. Gas gauge should read full. If not then that's the wire to follow. If it does be sure the green goes to ground. If it does you are back to the sending unit itself.

The fuel gauge on my '81 has stopped working a couple of times when the temp gauge still worked. On mine, just unplugging/reconnecting the connector on the tank fixed it. Corrosion, or just a loose enough terminal can cause it. Seems on mine it has always been the ground wire causing the issue. :good:

I would go directly to that same yellow at the gas gauge to check continuity. Also at the gauge you can jumper a ground wire to the gauge side which should make the gauge swing up. If not...and the other wire to the gauge (the hot wire battery +) is getting 12 volts, then the gauge is probably dead.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188772#p188772:2blr0dc2 said:
dan filipi » 5 minutes ago[/url]":2blr0dc2]
I would go directly to that same yellow at the gas gauge to check continuity. Also at the gauge you can jumper a ground wire to the gauge side which should make the gauge swing up. If not...and the other wire to the gauge (the hot wire battery +) is getting 12 volts, then the gauge is probably dead.

Edit....the gauge should be getting regulated voltage on the hot side not 12 volts.

Your sure the yellow was grounded? If it has power at the gauge and a good connection. You might want to try another gauge.

I did what Dan said to do. I ran a wire from the yellow plug, at the gas tank opening, and put it in the green plug. The gas gauge slowly went to full.
I have the gas sender in vinegar now.

How do I check to see if the sender is any good?

There is a contact that rides a coil of wire as the float swing arm moves up and down. If you hook up the wires and turn power on moving the swingarm should change the gauge reading when connection is good.

Could be a break somewhere along that coil it slides on like at full or empty position. You might find it reads on the gauge at full gauge or at the empty end of gauge. Or it could be there's some corrosion along that coil or the contact that slides across it.

Sender is soaking in vinegar now.

I read somewhere that I can take the plate off the sender and look at those coils of wire. They said if it is broke it can be unwound enough to solder it back together.

I do appreciate the help.

Sometimes you can clean the contact by slipping a sheet of paper between it and the wire coil and apply slight pressure moving the swing arm a few times.

Rinsed the vinegar off and then sprayed with rust buster.
Cleaned with carb cleaner. Put it back in the tank and turned the key on.

Thanks to all of you I now have my gas gauge back in working order.
I had no idea where to start on this pickle.

Best part of this is it did not cost me any $$$$.

Apples cut up put them in water stir every day for a month or so.About ten good sized apples for 1 us gallon. If the neighbor has an apple tree it's free.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188829#p188829:17ss10q9 said:
slabghost » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:43 pm[/url]":17ss10q9]
Apples cut up put them in water stir every day for a month or so.About ten good sized apples for 1 us gallon. If the neighbor has an apple tree it's free.
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:salute: