Therostatic Switch Wiring. Green to Right or Left?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence954

Reaction score
I'm having trouble interpreting the wiring diagram in the 1975 GL1000 manual. When facing the switch from the operators right hand side (brake pedal side) should the green wire be on the right or left post of the switch? Or does it matter? Fan works on bench but doesn't come on on the bike. I don't want to pull/test the switch until I know the answer. I know the wiring socket has been off the switch in the past and I want to be sure it was reinstalled correctly.

two wire is the temp sensor for the gauge. Single wire is the fan switch. Ground the black wire from the switch to the motor with the key on and the fan should run.

I need to know if the green wire of the socket goes to the right or left post. The manual and videos showing how to test the switch indicate a two post switch. I know the fan will run when I jump it to the battery.

Switch simply makes contact to ground. It fits either way. It works either way if it's functional.

Thanks! It's time to pull the switch and test it but I suspect I'll need to get a new one. At least the old one will be out either way.