HELP no power

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman38

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please help I seem to have turned my new to me 86 aspy into a boat anchor. Was replacing my crash bars had one bolt in and was pivot bar accidently came into contact with positive side of batt. A few sparks but didn't pay attention to anything being wrong. Went to start bike nothing. No power anywhere no clock blinks will not set. I checked the dog bone it has continuity. I know will replace have been listening. No power to fuse block.ignition,horn.lights I mean nothing. Some one wrote that one system is dependent on all other systems. But this is nuts. Anybody got any Idea where to start this future boat anchor ever heard of this problem I have searched all the forums I can find and nothing I am desperate any suggestions will be helpful. Thank-you in advance of any suggestions

Tinman

Start at the battery and be sure the cables are clean and tight. The arc may have compromised one of them. Then the start solenoid and dogbone connections. Fuse panel connections and fuses. continue until you find the problem.

My first thought was the high current load compromised the ground or positive connection at the engine case or at the battery posts or at the solenoid. Take a piece of wire length, touch to negative battery post and clean engine ground and see if anything lights up with the key on. Try the same with positive battery post to the solenoid post.
Should also test the battery itself for power. I have had a battery short out internally after a high load.

Give me a few minutes to review my wiring notes. I have an '86 SEi fuse/relay panel going into my '82. I had to learn the whole '86 wiring system to find out the best way to rewire for the relays to connect to my '82 harness. There are 2 battery sources to the rely/fuse panel. The normal dog bone fuse and then another 30 amp inline fuse that goes to the fuse/relay panel (white wire - see the top of page 25 below in the pictures).

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Here is a PDF file for the Aspencade - slightly different than the SE-i fuel injected model.

Cheers

Attachments

• GL1200 84-85 Power Distribution Int-Aspy circuit.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 100
I have battery power but nothing else no power to fuses horn lights radio nothing but the clock flashes but cant set the time.It is at this point a boat anchor with a flashy clock.

Power distribution to the bike goes through the solenoid connections. I'd recommend making sure they're solid. Your troubles are probably independent of the arcing and just coincidence. Confirm battery integrity, battery connections, frame ground, connections at the solenoid hot terminal, dogbone fuse and jiggle the ignition keyswitch for good measure. If it's none of the above, I'm tapping out.

could I have fried the solenoid when the voltage spiked? On a car the car would still have power just wouldn't turn over. This is frying what little brain cells available these days.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=196354#p196354:9c2ye1s2 said:
tinman38 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 pm[/url]":9c2ye1s2]
could I have fried the solenoid when the voltage spiked? On a car the car would still have power just wouldn't turn over. This is frying what little brain cells available these days.

No. And even if the solenoid were fried, it would not result in a "no power" condition. "No start" - yes, but not "no power".

As noted, I'd be willing to bet that your trouble is by the solenoid, though. Snoop around.

Put a 12volt accessory onto the battery that draws a reasonable amount of current such as a 55w headlight bulb, an air compressor etc as this will tell you if your battery has any internal capacity ( not collapsed ).

cant find problem so I ordered a new solenoid if it is not it will have spare also will order a new battery. I thought it was in the plug to solenoid but checked continuity up through the computer. no such luck I think I collapsed the cheap battery you get what you pay for. So thank-you all it has been interesting hate electrics.

Try removing the battery and use jumpers from your car battery. It might just wake right up with the defective battery out of the circuit.

Hooking up to a car battery should not hurt the bike. The bike will only draw what it needs from the battery. The max draw through the system will only be 30 amps (plus a little extra), then the fuse blows.