'83 Interstate Radio Installation

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I patiently await the final parts for my engine build, I decided to install a decent audio system. I wanted to use a gauge pod I picked up on ebay, and the original speaker enclosures. I also wanted the head unit to play MP3 and WMA music files, since I have about 60 hours worth stored on a single USB flash drive. I did not want a CD or tape player.

I found exactly what I was looking for at Amazon.com, and really cheap! A Pyle PLR34M mechless receiver and a pair of Pioneer TS-A1072R 4-Inch 3-Way 150-Watt speakers - all for about $70.

The head unit's chassis is fairly shallow- around 4", and when I got it and opened it up, I realized it could be even less. The main circuit board is mounted flat on the back of the faceplate. The amp/input/output board is mounted to the rear heat sink. There is about 2 inches of empty space between them, with a ribbon cable connecting them together.

With a small cut-off disk, I cut the case exactly in half. With a little bending, I gat the 2 halves to slide into each other, making the depth a little over 2".

I then cut out the 2 plastic areas between the left 3 gauge holes in the pod, and trimmed it up for the mounting bracket to slide in. It's almost as though the pod was designed for a single DIN radio chassis.

I tested the original volt meter and it works fine, so I replaced the bulb and installed the meter in the right pod hole.

image.php

The speakers have a ring around the front mounting surface, so they won't go flush in the enclosures. I used some small springs I salvaged from an old pipe organ as spacers to install the speakers.

image.php

I removed the wiring harness from the original radio (it's dead!) and attached it to the new unit. Final installation was plug-n-play as far as wiring was concerned. I did have to cut a 2" square hole in the fairing for the radio connector and fuse to clear.

It has decent sound, and I like the way it looks. What's next - who knows? Maybe a subwoofer in the trunk??

image.php

Great effort on the install Steve. A truly professional job and I was really impressed that you pulled the unit apart and realised that you could eliminate all the empty space. I have done many tricky installs and never considered shortening the actual unit, definitely one for the future. Cudos...
:good: :good: :good:

Nice job. I have a vetter cycle sound and that package looks like it would fit. Please let us know If the unit delivers good sound at 60-70mph.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110873#p110873:3dza2tzv said:
tuna » February 24th, 2014, 8:38 am[/url]":3dza2tzv]
Nice job. I have a vetter cycle sound and that package looks like it would fit. Please let us know If the unit delivers good sound at 60-70mph.

Very nice. Let us know how it sounds cause I'm a 60-70 mph guy. After that I probably ought to be paying attention.

Latest posts