Headlight Relay Circuit

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Here is the headlight relay circuit from the 92 CBR 1000f manual. I have tried to highlight the circuits using the penultimate app, fat finger and shaky
Blue is the battery supply
Red is the low beam control circuit
Yellow is the high beam control circuit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 208
As you can see Mr Honda has decided to improve the headlight circuit by taking all the power away from the headlight switch, flash switch and ignition switch by using relays with the power coming from a fused battery circuit. :Egyptian:

Seems all the new vehicles are chock full of the mini relays. I'm not so sure it's a good thing.

The main reason is that there is hardly any copper left in the wiring and it can't handle high current as well. Also the shorter the circuit without breaks ( switches, plugs etc) the less voltage drop.

Ansimp - stumbled onto your thread regarding headlight relay. Have read similar threads elsewhere and installing relays and powering the headlight with relays for better power delivery is now quite common but not back a while with our bikes. Have found a circuit as well on the net regarding this:
HeadlightRelayWiringDiagram.jpg
This schematic is for dual low/high installs. Easy to downsize for single high/low install.

Agree with the issue of lots of relays, but the benefit is there regarding the older electrical systems, and relays are very common place. Just have to be selective in relay placement, type and size of relay and how the circuits are fused - additional fuse block is a good consideration. Make sure that with any relay install try to keep relays the same - micro/mini - and have spares with you in case.

Cheers