LIGHTING & LED'S

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about going to led's. The only thing is I can't seem tp find out what the stock bulb # is. Now that I have it (between phone calls @ work) I now know what the number is. I would like to know what the (down @ your local Auto parts). Has anybody used Led's in there speedo and tack? Or the cluster down on the treeo? I don't want to buy the bulbs and have them to bright. Any help on this would be great.. Thanks..

I'm in the process of doing that right now....I just got a package of lights in the mail. I have an 83 and it takes a wedge base (194) lamp...not sure what the older wings use. I got a package of 10 for about 8 bucks on Ebay...

I'm mainly interested in the speedo, tach, and fuel/temp lights, as the others are bright enough to me but since I got a package of 10 I may replace them too.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142099#p142099:qignj3d5 said:
bib » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:47 pm[/url]":qignj3d5]
I'm in the process of doing that right now....I just got a package of lights in the mail. I have an 83 and it takes a wedge base (194) lamp...not sure what the older wings use. I got a package of 10 for about 8 bucks on Ebay...

I'm mainly interested in the speedo, tach, and fuel/temp lights, as the others are bright enough to me but since I got a package of 10 I may replace them too.
There twist lock. I ordered 10 , 5 blue, 5 cool white. extra bright on all from superbriteleds.com They have them all.. I will in time get them all except the tail light. Until I know for sure that it will be bright in the day time. The do make over size for more kelvin..

I got the cluster back together today....I ended up only replacing the bulbs for illuminating the speedo/tach/fuel/temp gauges. I didn't like the look of the idiot lights with the particular bulbs I got....if anyone else is doing this upgrade, plan on the single LED bulbs for the idiot lights and the taller, 360 degree ones for the instruments...

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 188
The ones I got were much taller than the stock 194 bulbs but had just enough room to fit. In the idiot lights they didn't really seem much brighter since some of the LEDs on the sides were hidden down in the rubber holder....when you looked at the lights when on, you could see the 2 LEDs on the top of the bulb....I didn't like the look.

Looking at parts on EBAY I noticed that the earlier 1100s had the push & turn bulbs...not sure when Honda made the switch.....I'd suggest that one should take the cluster apart and check before ordering bulbs.

They work fine. mine are the twist lock style. I'm ordering the 5 LED the old style sockets have blocking inside them from some metal. So I pulled them out some and they are just as bright as stock. I'm moving my Lm up to 96. This will fix it im sure. 360 5 LED cool white will do. The Blue looks nice too. The only thing is the old paint inside makes it harder to see. (to much stare time while driving) So this is what I'm going with. Also the guys over there said I could return the ones I bought and get what I needed. That's really cool. I thanked him and said I'm good, But thanks anyway..

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ower/2077/

I was just talking to Kevin @ superbriteled.com. I asked him about the Resistors in the leds etc. He told me that the LEDS he sells are set up for replacement bulbs. Also they carry the flashers. When I put the first set of LEDS in I did see that the light was constricted somewhat. Mine are the twist lock style. So I put the bulb in the hole an slowly moved it in. The light was pleanty bright for me they were warm white. Not the best choice in color but still bright. Now, after I put the LEDS blue light in the socket they were a nice look But being that the paint was old on the gauges they were harder to see. I reordered the Cool white bulbs https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ower/2077/
they offered me a full refund for the ones I purchased. I will be keeping them anyway. But it's nice to know this so you don't keep burning money trying to figure out what you need...

Okay after getting the new LEDs here is the cool white look. There just sitting on the table in the afternoon light no needing to close the windows to check them out. I'm going to look into the green and the blue now that I've found the right bulbs..

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 136
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142530#p142530:2owptvno said:
CRAFTMAN6001 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:57 pm[/url]":2owptvno]
I was just talking to Kevin @ superbriteled.com. I asked him about the Resistors in the leds etc. He told me that the LEDS he sells are set up for replacement bulbs. Also they carry the flashers. When I put the first set of LEDS in I did see that the light was constricted somewhat. Mine are the twist lock style. So I put the bulb in the hole an slowly moved it in. The light was pleanty bright for me they were warm white. Not the best choice in color but still bright. Now, after I put the LEDS blue light in the socket they were a nice look But being that the paint was old on the gauges they were harder to see. I reordered the Cool white bulbs https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ower/2077/
they offered me a full refund for the ones I purchased. I will be keeping them anyway. But it's nice to know this so you don't keep burning money trying to figure out what you need...
I want to add that the first set of LEDs were the shorter and NOT A 360 bulb. The new ones are a 360 5 LED bulb. and when you turn them off with a power supply they go out slowly. Also this is only 13 volts load there rated for more they dim down around 11 1/2. Little heads up..

They look good, I want to sort out the fuel and temp lights on the Rats Nest as they are white and dull where the Tacho and speedo are green and easy to read ( brighter)