"Re-Purposing" a '78 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few shots taken when I "re-purposed" my '78 GL1000 a couple of years ago. At one time, it had Vetter everything. Fairing harness is still there. I had to get rid of the Vetter headlight since it didn't fit inside the Viper fairing. I sourced an earlier chrome bucket. Although you can't see the chrome, I know it's there - and like it better than the '78/79 black plastic.

Really only took about 6 months scrounging parts. With wise purchases and a friend who paints out of his garage, I am actually into it fairly cheaply. And it's a hoot to ride. I get more comments on this old motorcycle than just about anything I've ridden. I cheated and borrowed ideas from multiple sources - and a lot of photos from around the country of guys' bikes.

Attachments

• rackoffand-apart.JPG
    rackoffand-apart.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 300
  • valves_and_timing.JPG
    valves_and_timing.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 291
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 302
I've probably put 10,000 miles on it since completion. For a while, I rode it so much, that the Valkyrie contracted a stuck float! Served me right. One must exercise all animals and machines on an equal basis.

But, I've made some fun day trips on the beast. I have picked up an experimental set of bags that I might see about mounting, but may be having second thoughts about that. Nothing wrong with day trips:

Attachments

• IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    688.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2086.JPG
    IMG_2086.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Prescott.jpg
    Prescott.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 298
Would be a pleasure, Dan. Or if I were out that way...again.

I went right through your neighborhood last month on the 134 headed to Santa Barbara on the way to Monterey. Now that I recall, the Pasadena/Glendale corridor was some of the heaviest traffic of the trip...

Definitely some middle ground where the roads are not straight, traffic is light and the food is good!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179796#p179796:2stclfud said:
desertrefugee » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:18 am[/url]":2stclfud]
Would be a pleasure, Dan. Or if I were out that way...again.

I went right through your neighborhood last month on the 134 headed to Santa Barbara on the way to Monterey. Now that I recall, the Pasadena/Glendale corridor was some of the heaviest traffic of the trip...

Definitely some middle ground where the roads are not straight, traffic is light and the food is good!
Sounds like Julian to me.... :good: