New C5 Ignition fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How hard to install on a 91, 1500 aspencade? :headscratch: The coils on that rascal take some time, & work getting to, :roll: the ignition box is a lot easier task, :hihihi: but not like on the four's. :nea: What about the cam, does it need to come out? :heat:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175614#p175614:vo6xiz3w said:
Denver » Yesterday, 10:13 pm[/url]":vo6xiz3w]
How hard to install on a 91, 1500 aspencade? :headscratch: The coils on that rascal take some time, & work getting to, :roll: the ignition box is a lot easier task, :hihihi: but not like on the four's. :nea: What about the cam, does it need to come out? :heat:

last time I contacted him, the kit for the GL1500 is still not ready.
I know I'm ready to buy.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175638#p175638:2sqops36 said:
Mino » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:19 am[/url]":2sqops36]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175614#p175614:2sqops36 said:
Denver » Yesterday, 10:13 pm[/url]":2sqops36]

I know I'm ready to buy.
My understanding is that it's "not ready" because it has not yet been determined where best to place the new coils so their mounting brackets are yet to be designed. He still needs a GL1500 to adapt the system to. If you are close enough to him to spend some time with him. You will probably ride home a happy guy. Call him and see.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175640#p175640:qs2uf1pt said:
slabghost » Today, 7:53 am[/url]":qs2uf1pt]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175638#p175638:qs2uf1pt said:
Mino » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:19 am[/url]":qs2uf1pt]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175614#p175614:qs2uf1pt said:
Denver » Yesterday, 10:13 pm[/url]":qs2uf1pt]

I know I'm ready to buy.
My understanding is that it's "not ready" because it has not yet been determined where best to place the new coils so their mounting brackets are yet to be designed. He still needs a GL1500 to adapt the system to. If you are close enough to him to spend some time with him. You will probably ride home a happy guy. Call him and see.

wish I was close by, but I am not.

Here is where the project sits right now...

We manufactured a part that must be pressed into the camshaft end. Once it is installed there will be no easy way to remove it.
Since last year when the prototype part was designed and machined, our ignition was updated and the part is not the correct height any longer. Minor detail perhaps? I have not looked at the box of parts to see if we can shim it taller.

Once the standoff is pressed in and lock-tited, we can go ride it for a long time and see if it comes loose with time, heat, and vibration.

I am not concerned about coils since our new MC-2 coils are tiny. I'm planning on leaving the stock ones buried inside and mounting ours in a new location. Before Louie (GLWrench) passed away we put a set inside the air duct of his fairing but that was before the new coils existed.

Now you all know where this project stalled. I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 1500 engine so I can do the installation and run it for a few months here at the shop under various loads and temperatures. There is one person who recently agreed to purchase a kit and be our "experiment" so we might end up going that direction.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175735#p175735:20ccnm6j said:
C5Performance » Today, 10:34 pm[/url]":20ccnm6j]

We manufactured a part that must be pressed into the camshaft end. Once it is installed there will be no easy way to remove it.
Since last year when the prototype part was designed and machined, our ignition was updated and the part is not the correct height any longer. Minor detail perhaps? I have not looked at the box of parts to see if we can shim it taller.

Once the standoff is pressed in and lock-tited, we can go ride it for a long time and see if it comes loose with time, heat, and vibration.

I am not concerned about coils since our new MC-2 coils are tiny. I'm planning on leaving the stock ones buried inside and mounting ours in a new location. Before Louie (GLWrench) passed away we put a set inside the air duct of his fairing but that was before the new coils existed.

Now you all know where this project stalled. I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 1500 engine so I can do the installation and run it for a few months here at the shop under various loads and temperatures. There is one person who recently agreed to purchase a kit and be our "experiment" so we might end up going that direction.

Thanks for update.
The Valkyrie coils are located in completely different locations than the GL1500 Goldwing. One is installed horizontal above the left carb bank under the fuel tank attached to the frame. the other two are installed behind the left upper engine mount under the tank. If your coils are smaller than OEM, all three probably will fit behind the engine mount. I actually installed two of the larger Blackbird coils in that location at one time.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175738#p175738:2qimuac8 said:
Mino » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:01 pm[/url]":2qimuac8]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175735#p175735:2qimuac8 said:
C5Performance » Today, 10:34 pm[/url]":2qimuac8]

Thanks for update.
The Valkyrie coils are located in completely different locations than the GL1500 Goldwing. One is installed horizontal above the left carb bank under the fuel tank attached to the frame. the other two are installed behind the left upper engine mount under the tank. If your coils are smaller than OEM, all three probably will fit behind the engine mount. I actually installed two of the larger Blackbird coils in that location at one time.

I was aware the Valkyrie is different (and perhaps easier?). All our testing was done using a Goldwing and it will pose the biggest hurdles due to the complexity of the vehicle. The only C5 ignition on a Honda flat 6 is actually in Louie's vintage Cushman Truckster which made it very easy to work on.

Was wondering all along if the cam would need to come out for my 1500. :headscratch: As that would be the first and most likely the only one for a while, :roll: it's the only one held back by the factory, :sensored: from reaching the 7 to 8 grand like the earlier models. :rant: at this time it appears as if it does. :thank_you:

well id say as i dont know for sure ...that that the 1500 cams are quite mild ...there is also the fact that a 6 cylinder boxer is rather unbalanced as compared to a four cylinder boxer motor ...both these facts limit rpm ...even the valkery has really small carbs compared to any yr oldwing 4s .....so im sure a lot of the rpm in 1500s is low and needs to be ...a better look at things is to compare 1800 rpm figures ...as there is more common traits to these motors ...than to the 4s.....

in my work i found all kinds of power and reliability in the oldwing 4s ....same may go for thee 6s ...seems people like fstsix have some rather powerful 1500s and is the guy to talk to on rpm hes getting ....as he there and owns the goods to talk about .....im sure the c5 will be great addition to 1500s plain and simple ...it so much better timing many times over anything honda made .....and a great start ...seems like the 1500 is full of interdependent baloney tech ..that could be made many times more reliable....making a 1500 better than its already super reputation for super reliability......

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175922#p175922:3r5txswy said:
joedrum » Today, 8:05 am[/url]":3r5txswy]
well id say as i dont .there is also the fact that a 6 cylinder boxer is rather unbalanced as compared to a four cylinder boxer motor ..

that is completely untrue, a flat-six is much smoother and in perfect balance than a flat four. documented fact as also a four is better than a flat two.
GW GL1500 cam has zero overlap for low pulling power. only one camshaft was ever avail.
Valkyrie redlines 62-6500 rpm approx 1000 more than GW 1500. valk came with either the org as designed cam or an emissions cam which drops HP and TQ approx 10 points.
valkyrie carbs are in the perfect size range needed for the area of the smaller piston size.

its an opinion ...ive a life time dealing with motors ....6 cylinder motors are no rev machine....i actually like them ...strait six sneezles are unbeatable in low end torque and power ..the 6 has a huge place in big power and long lasting like no other ....

Seem's i've read that the ignition mod has been done in the past, by someone to 8'000 with amazing improvement's in performance. :read: The trigger wheel makes a nice improvement over stock, :roll: but not NEAR ENOUGH, :sensored: only advances the timing 4 or 6 degree's, depending on which wheel you select. :rant:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175991#p175991:1cha16jw said:
Denver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:48 pm[/url]":1cha16jw]
Seem's i've read that the ignition mod has been done in the past, by someone to 8'000 with amazing improvement's in performance. :read: The trigger wheel makes a nice improvement over stock, :roll: but not NEAR ENOUGH, :sensored: only advances the timing 4 or 6 degree's, depending on which wheel you select. :rant:

We have one GL1500 with a crank mounted C5 but it will never be tested unfortunately. It starts and runs awesome but there will be no tire smoking test runs unfortunately.

I'm determined to have this kit finished by year end, but would still prefer to purchase an engine so I can be there for every step of the installation and testing that follows.

With a precise timing map and a bit of carb work I would expect to see 10-20% increase on the dyno. With six carbs the Valkyrie has the best chance to hit that goal. Just as with the CBX1000, there are huge improvements to be made but airflow and carb tuning are critical (so is fuel choice) and many "tuners" get it wrong.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176000#p176000:1bosx3us said:
C5Performance » Today, 1:26 am[/url]":1bosx3us]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175991#p175991:1bosx3us said:
Denver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:48 pm[/url]":1bosx3us]

We have one GL1500 with a crank mounted C5 but it will never be tested unfortunately. It starts and runs awesome but there will be no tire smoking test runs unfortunately.

I'm determined to have this kit finished by year end, but would still prefer to purchase an engine so I can be there for every step of the installation and testing that follows.

With a precise timing map and a bit of carb work I would expect to see 10-20% increase on the dyno. With six carbs the Valkyrie has the best chance to hit that goal. Just as with the CBX1000, there are huge improvements to be made but airflow and carb tuning are critical (so is fuel choice) and many "tuners" get it wrong.

just did a dyno run on a factory-pro dyno. with my mods and exhaust, and she is too rich on the top end, 106HP and 116 Ftlbs. for a dynojet dyno add 10hp to that number. once I rejet should see an 8-10HP increase.
don't know how to post pics on this site so all can see the chart.

Set up your gallery album and upload the pics from your computer. Then posting is easy. Just copy the address under the pic and paste it in the post.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197279#p197279:5kbh4c7m said:
Mino » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:34 pm[/url]":5kbh4c7m]
any updates for the GL1500 c5 ignition? Its been over one yr and haven't seen/ heard anything.
thanks.
Latest C5 I think is ready. Check on the C5 site.