Gen 5 Goldwing ignition from C5 Performance

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5Performance

Supporting Member
Reaction score
*NEWS FLASH*

C5 Performance is back in the Goldwing game!

As some may already know, we ran out of the Gen 4 Goldwing kits recently. Since the new CDL2 ignition fits inside the stock GL1000 points housing we've decided to shake things up a bit and save everyone some money.

The new Gen 5 Goldwing kit is reduced in price by $75 USD!!

We invented a conversion plate that fits the GL1000 points housing. Since the electronic reader was a bit too tall for the stock Honda cover, we also made a spacer/gasket that was thick enough to clear the electronics. This can be used on GL1000 and GL1100 heads.

The ignition ground lead is now hidden in the main wire harness for better protection. We improved the electronics and ditched all the old coils for the powerful VS and MC series coils. All C5 ignitions above serial number #11000 must be paired with the newer coils. The ignition continues to have four (4) timing maps and remains fully programmable.

As GL1000 owners might recall, the QT coil (barely) fit where the stock GL1000 coils once sat. The upgraded VS4 coil is rated for higher power, has auto overheat shut down, and has a large aluminum finned heat sink to keep things cool... but they are slightly larger. I haven't verified but don't believe the VS4 coil will clear the stock airbox inlet... so for those running a single carb, it might fit just fine using a flat plate for mounting. If you are using a stock airbox or have a GL1100, I highly recommend the pair of MC2 coils. These thin coils fit the GL1100 frame bracket nicely.

Our parts should be ready later this week (fingers crossed) and we'll test fit the day after. Since our email in box exploded when people found out we discontinued the old kit, I just updated our website including the Goldwing page. We will fill back orders in the same order they were received.

Thank you for your patience as we try to support the Goldwing community with affordable and reliable parts.

(Side note: My wife and I met BrianinPA this summer at a tractor pull. It was great to see an old friend who was one of our first customers, and talk bikes for awhile.)

Attachments

• GL1000-3.jpg
    GL1000-3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 141
  • GL1000-4.jpg
    GL1000-4.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 141
  • VS an MC.jpg
    VS an MC.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 139
  • GL1000-1.jpg
    GL1000-1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 138
Nice..great hearing from you Paul ..I also seen your post on Oliver tractor pullers Facebook page...and commented.....I've have got a white 4-150 fram tractor now as a project to work on now ..it has a 3208 cat motor ...doesn't need a c5....seems the cat powered white and Oliver tractors are tearing it up at the tractor pulls...hope to get with some day sooner than later ...I enjoy tractor pulls also...

I'm actually in Indiana right now building a house for my son ...hooch is really running strong but has a knock right now ...I will be wintering over here this year it's looking like....I was just on your Facebook page ...s

This is really great news! Saving for goodies has gotten a lot harder since my income is now 1/4 of what it used to be per hour. Was working 60 hours last job . Now lucky to get over 30 hours. Oh well much happier and feel much better too.

By using the Honda housing and converting it to C5 that allowed us to drop the price.
The CDL ignition has a bunch of small improvements and the VS coils are insanely high tech.

We are also coming out with a new coil that can be used with stock points (ditch the condenser).
A pair of them for a Goldwing will be $338 and you will never burn up a set of points again.
It's called the C5 Alive coil because it's got a microprocessor and thinks on its own. All voltage is carried by the coil itself and it has auto shut off.

Heck, it even multiple sparks during engine start up!

I am determined to expand our motorcycle offerings as time allows. This year was another record year for us so it's difficult to sneak in shop time for design work. Slabghost you need to find me a super cheap 1500cc engine so we can finish that project as well.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196698#p196698:3jed3i14 said:
C5Performance » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm[/url]":3jed3i14]
By using the Honda housing and converting it to C5 that allowed us to drop the price.
The CDL ignition has a bunch of small improvements and the VS coils are insanely high tech.

We are also coming out with a new coil that can be used with stock points (ditch the condenser).
A pair of them for a Goldwing will be $338 and you will never burn up a set of points again.
It's called the C5 Alive coil because it's got a microprocessor and thinks on its own. All voltage is carried by the coil itself and it has auto shut off.

Heck, it even multiple sparks during engine start up!

I am determined to expand our motorcycle offerings as time allows. This year was another record year for us so it's difficult to sneak in shop time for design work. Slabghost you need to find me a super cheap 1500cc engine so we can finish that project as well.
I will happily get off my Valkyrie and let you do whatever. I trust you completely and have a few 1200's as back up. Big issue is location. I'm here and you aren't. I can't afford transportation either way. If you can both ways come get it.