Rescue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146822#p146822:2r1l33oe said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:51 pm[/url]":2r1l33oe]
I does look like a real comfortable rig! Throw my little tag a long trailer behind it and you could go anywhere! :yes:
Move house with a family member :good:

OK. Today I finally got around to looking at the bike. Pulled the plugs, they look brand new like they never fired. They even had anti-seize on the threads so no diagnosis by looking at the sparkplugs. I poured marvel mystery oil in each cylinder. Waited a bit then tried to turn the crank bolt up front. Turned nicely more than 360 degrees with no hang up. Looking under the bike now I see a couple puddles of mystery oil. I don't think I filled the cylinders that full for it to push out and run down the drain holes by the plugs.

Haven't checked to see if there's water in the radiator or oil in the pan yet but will later today. Also will do a compression check on all cylinders. My main concern was the motor being seized which it isn't. Remember this bike sat for more than 7 years.

Could have oil run out through plug drain hole from pouring the oil in the plug holes. Or possibly out through exhaust valve and manifold.

Here's where I'm at so far with the 1500.

Oil is full needs to be changed along with filter. Radiators were dry so filled them with water to see if they leak. So far so good.

Throttle won't budge. Pulled air filters and shined a light down inside, slides look like they have 4 coats of lacquer on them. So gotta pull the carbs.

Just about filled the shop vac with dead bugs. Every time I remove something I gotta vacuum.

Still need a battery to check compression. Probably get one this week.

One question, I've got to get rid of a half tank of really aged gas. Is there a way to drain it or must I pull the tank?

Not positive but drain plug on gas tank was an early feature that went away & don't think ever returned, sorry for the bad news, maybe im wrong. Still a great deal. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148531#p148531:l99hgsqk said:
Denver » Sun May 10, 2015 7:26 pm[/url]":l99hgsqk]
Not positive but drain plug on gas tank was an early feature that went away & don't think ever returned, sorry for the bad news, maybe im wrong. Still a great deal. :good:

Guess the tank comes out. Probably best anyway so I can check it thoroughly.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148543#p148543:39awzodi said:
tom foreman » Sun May 10, 2015 7:56 pm[/url]":39awzodi]
wow,great find... :music: :salute:

Thanks Tom. I'm hoping there's not too much to do to get it on the road.

OK Compression check cyl. 1,3 and 5 - 145 psi.... Cyl. 2 and 4 - 155 psi.... Cyl. 6 - 162 psi.

The center stand was removed when the PO added the sidecar. I noticed the cyl.s on the kick stand side have a higher psi so I'm assuming that's because more oil on that side with it leaning. I also believe once I get it running the psi should improve all around.

So not leaking water or oil and have good compression. And weighs about 10 lbs. less after removing 10,000 dead stink bugs.

Next - clean carbs, new fuel filter, flush gas lines, dump old gas and clean tank.

why is cyl 6 so high in comparison, surly it should roughly match the other 5? or is that one good and the other 5 in various stages or degradation? Looks a winner for the price though. I must admit I thought the side car was a brit thing, so something else that we have in common with our American cuzzes. :hi: :music2: :fiddle:

it was probably the only cylinder with valves both close during the long sit ...and the other cylinders were in variious stages of open ...to degrade the sealing to a point ...is my guess .....what a nice find ...it seems to me that the motor is in rather good shape as i read the thread posts.....best buy... on a 1500 ive seen :BigGrin:

Finally got the gas tank emptied and pulled maybe 4 good handfuls of rust off the bottom. Let the tank dry out and shop vacuum the inside. Replaced fuel pump and filled the tank with 6 1/2 gal. of cider vinegar. Let it stew for 3 days. Drained vinegar, filtered 2 gal. into a hand pump weed sprayer and used that to rinse the tank and flush debris to the deep end. That took away all the rust. Vacuum that out. Dried the tank with a hair drier and put in 2 gal. of gas.

Oh and I managed during this little project to break the fuel sending unit so bought one on ebay and replaced it. Now on to rebuilding the carbs as soon as I get the 20" philips screw driver and 11" needle nose pliers I ordered 2 days ago. Every post on pulling the carbs says you need a 13" inch screw driver to reach the clamps holding the carbs so I figured get a 20" and I'll be able to sit across the shop and still work on the bike. :yes:

I'll keep you posted.

I have discovered a great way to get rid of rust about which I was told on one of my forums. Use Brick acid cleaner there is a proper name for it muraic acid or something like that, don't use it for long and dont forget to wash off, out with distilled water afterwards.

Used muratic acid on my gas tanks several years ago, works great & still spotless inside, keep full of gas & treat gas in winter.

Pulled the carbs, stripped and cleaned them. Everything is working now and ready to put them back on but noticed one "T" is open on one side. Doesn't look like it's broken. Looks like something is missing. I have no extra parts left over. Here are pics.

Attachments

• 1806-161957.jpg
    1806-161957.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 567
  • 1806-162102.jpg
    1806-162102.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 565