MAKING A TRIKE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158071#p158071:1jq0qh2c said:
transitman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:13 pm[/url]":1jq0qh2c]
Hi Slabghost, I did say that I would add a tension spring...!!
I didn't miss that I simply suggested two. One on either side to assure it isn't trying to change gears on it's own.

Ok, point taken, my thinking is that the weight of the arm, to which will be added the clutch lever and a wooden handle, would be enough to not need a front spring. We shall see!
Btw, if you have any ideas on my water pump conundrum I would love to hear them.
And thanks again Joe for your support, means a lot

yes, thank you, I am sure you are right
i am still bothered by that large crush washer, and I have wrapped the job up for now until I get a definitive answer from somewhere. As I have about 40 other jobs waiting that is no hardship

Yes, it's the drain plug. Clever bloke on NGW just told me
I am so impressed that so many people who know so much can be bothered to tell the rest of us.
I think I am with you people for life, not just a trike build!

photo (5)-002.JPG

Another mistake, using Allen head screws for the pump.
Those in the picture are long ones I used to gently pull the water pump into place. Then I removed them, added the crush washers, and used new Allen screws to tighten them up. Little bit at a time, then, oops, the washers crumpled up around the screw head. Too little surface area for the washers.

No damage done, sent off for more washers and 3 new proper screws from David Silver, should be here next week.

photo (8).JPG

Leaving the water pump for now, got on with changing as many oil seals on the engine as I can find. Did the two front camshaft ones after loosening off the camshafts, but it looks as if there should be two in the back ends as well. From the parts diagrams saw that the left hand shaft has one but can't find one for the right hand side.
Also removed the timing belt pulley front bolt to look there, but I have to wait until my new puller arrives before I can remove the drive pulleys.
Found another in the gear shift shaft, expected to find one at the rear of the crankshaft but not got to one yet.

photo 1 (2)-001.JPG

Changed the special seal on the output drive shaft, that was an easy one.

Should anyone know where else to look please shout!

photo (6)-002.JPG

Next job, change the neutral start switch, and the new one wouldn't go in far enough. Had a shout on the NGW forum and up came the answer to put it in neutral. Should have thought of that. Did so, it slid in a treat.

photo (5).JPG

Last job for now, is to rebuild the back axle hubs. Got new bearings, seals, springs and brake shoes ready and this is the first hub with everything done but the brakes. Getting the new slave cylinder in is a pain, leaving that for the next time. It lives in that rectangular slot and had I remembered to put it in whilst the hub was down it would have saved me a lot of hassle!

BTW, after 3 years, I think I should finish sometime next Autumn. Hard to tell really, when I started I gave it 18 months.

photo 2 (1).JPG

Been working on the mudguard supports and finishing off the frame welding. Apart from fixing the tank I think I am nearly done. Each time I roll it out to get access to the other end I have to take a pic.

You might just make out the hydraulic left lever. That will be for the back brakes, the clutch lever will go on the jockey shifter.

Far as the engine goes, done all bar one of the oil seals and now know where the last one lives. Bought new timing belt tensioners but procrastinating on fitting the belts. Always easy to find something else to do.

photo 1 (1).JPG

This is the finished rear shock mount. quarter plate verticals and eighth plate platform. Rear frame now rigid. New tank: got a larger (5 UK galls) air receiver off a little home compressor. Going to have lots of fun getting that to work.

Trike now back in the shop and the rear left hand corner stripped for finishing the paintwork and the new brakes for that side, the other side done a while back. So busy with filler on the welds (can only go so far with the natural look) then prime and paint. Still rattle can work but that makes later mods so much easier.

Rear mudguards a labour intensive activity. Getting the side frame to stay in the right place and faffing around with the guards themselves one of the longest jobs tackled so far. Hopefully finished the machine shop work, show you the final prop shaft adaptors next time.

Cold weather looming, got a little gas heater but having to keep the door open means it's useless in a wind. Been still and cold so far this last week or so, perfect for sitting by the fire. Long may it stay that way!

I'm always impressed with this build. Have I forgotten or missed your plan to back up once it's built? A heavy mesh curtain like those used to keep out bugs will minimize wind and may give you more time to work. Should hold some of the heat in.

my my ..nice work detrimination is 1000% here ....slab made some good points ...i think your on the downhilll side now ...that not always good ...seems the last few steps in a build can take forever ...as always nice work and explained well......

i think slab was talking reverse drive is it going to have one .....great work :builder: :popcorn:

Now the light comes on!
Reverse gear; had a plan previously to use a starter motor and flywheel mounted on the diff nose. Done all the machining for it then after a long bout of sickness last year and early this year decided to forget everything but the essentials for getting the trike running.

The plan is to add things like reverse, windscreen, LEDs, and the small scooter hoist on the back platform if I'm still vertical then Up to itis number 6 now so gotta hurry!

Latest posts