MAKING A TRIKE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photo (1)-003.JPG

photo 2-007.JPG

Hung the exhaust, originally they were going straight under the axle and out the back but as that looked as if they were dragging on the ground and did nothing for the look of the trike I bent them up. Put a bracket in but on thinking it over decided I really wanted the cans to be as far back as legally possible. I also found that the right hand can sits too close to the prop shaft. Extending the pipes would sort both ideas out and I shall get over to the exhaust people as soon as I can. Also found the prop shaft 2 inches too short as I am leaving the reverse gear flywheel off until later. Shall have to get a slice of steel bar and get machining. Not a big job.

Done very little else since the last posting, weather still ok so no problems with the cold and wet yet. Organising some jobs to do in the house garage as that has heating, for when winter arrives.

Thanks again for your support. The build is feeling good now, although there are a huge list of jobs to do yet.
Opening the door each day and seeing a real trike is just great.

As usual, life keeps getting in the way, just spent best part of 2 days sorting the lights on my wife's car. Thing is 10 years old now but we need it for fetching grandchildren whilst mum gets on with her degree. Only a year or so left now and the kids can't get enough of climbing over the trike

VERY NICE Work . I have a 1980 GL1100 Goldwing trike I built a few years ago , but , i rode it a few hundred miles , but it was really hard to turn , I have thought on it quiet a bit , asked a lot of questions , and asked a lot of different people and got a lot of different answers . BUT I really think my problem is , I made mine too wide . if you ever noticed a Harley Trike they are almost Half as wide as a Goldwing Trike ...... and they all say they turn like nothing at all . so i may regroup on mine sometime . :popcorn:

Wider is more stable. I think more rake is key to making a trike steer. I won't really know for sure I guess until I make one.

Transitman, You have a GREAT looking project going on!!! I did a dry fit on my homemade trike before paint and drove it up the road, Around 10 to 30 mph it had a deathly wobble, After all the work that I put in and not being able to drive it, I ordered the rake kit from Custom Tripple Trees, If you need one he can make you one But as Slab said they are very pricey, and about 8 weeks out..... Charlie

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164293#p164293:1r1c2nwu said:
slabghost » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:34 pm[/url]":1r1c2nwu]
Wider is more stable. I think more rake is key to making a trike steer. I won't really know for sure I guess until I make one.

Why not, then?
My trike build (even if it never gets finished) is one of the best things I've attempted in years. I'm no spring chicken so it's been keeping my brain sharp and my tools at work. Even my lovely long suffering wife sees the benefit I get from it, so go ahead, make one!

Sorry, Charles, I missed your post on trike wobble.
Do you think it could be related to wheelbase? Mine looks a deal longer than your trike.
I have not heard of the kit you refer to, can you post some info for me?
Oh, and scare me to death on the price too!
Problem is with duty and carriage stuff from USA seems to come out double the price.
Hey ho, better than no trike eh?

you nailed it transitman ....wheelbase is the biggest factor ...not rake ...rake gets you different wheelbase and the reason that works ...if wheelbase is long enough in comparision to wide there is no problem ....in my opinion