Re start of an old project.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171046#p171046:20xwarn1 said:
JohnB1953 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:36 am[/url]":20xwarn1]
Thanks mcgovern61 by the way I see your first bike was a 81 GN 400 I have one of those in the shed also was taken apart owner to build a bobber and he lost interest so I got it cheep. I have a soft spot in my heart for singles. I hope to get that on the road someday too.
That GN sure was a lot of fun!! BTW, they are a dime a dozen in Mexico.

Well got busy today and put the exhaust and driveshaft on the trike today. Only have front brake and no front or rear suspension of any kind to speak of, but couldn't resist a quick trip down the alley. Seems to run good should be a fun ride when it is finished.

Attachments

• PICT2450.JPG
    PICT2450.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 605
  • PICT2451.JPG
    PICT2451.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 608
That's a very different trike build. I like the look. 81 is a spry model of the wings. Should be a very nice daily rider.

Thanks slabghost It is going to look a little different when done. I don't have much info on the trike. It seems to be a Triwing kit. The tires and wheels on the kit have date stamps saying 2000 so I am thinking that may be when the kit was installed or at least built. It was a lite roll over when I got it so the rear fenders were gone. I have some flat rear steel ones that I plan to use in the build. I think that when the body is on the trike it has a look kind of like the rear of a 32 Ford roadster so I think that is the theme I am going to try to follow. I am lucky in that I am an old body man and have about 30 years in the upholstery trade so I should be able to do it all myself. Well it's like they say "It's all about the build" that's where the fun is. I added a pic of the VW trike I built in 2008 and still drive it today, it is going to get a new motor this spring sometime but that is another project.

Attachments

• trike 3.jpg
    trike 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 586
  • trike2.jpg
    trike2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 588
What is that tank for? Gas, water, fertilizer? Beer? Looks like you're going to plow a field with that. Just install a PTO and discs and you are set. How freakin cool.

Well it looks like I am going to get a little garage time again this week. I have taken the forks and radiator and other small parts off the bike as it is getting new belts and radiator hoses. I broke the choke cable (old plastic) so I have a new one to install. Also replacing the fuel filter and lines . Forks getting new seals and brakes new fluid. The belts didn't look bad but don't want to take a chance. Tomorrow I am going to try adjusting the valves. Later John

Attachments

• PICT2455.JPG
    PICT2455.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 453
  • PICT2456.JPG
    PICT2456.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 452
Well wasn't a bad day I got the forks apart and cleaned. I decided that I would paint the bottom part as it looks a little worn and I am waiting on some valve cover gaskets and fuel filter and I guess I have the extra time. I will take a b/4 and after pic of the lower forks. I have done this b/4 and they turn out looking like new. John

Well only got one day to work on the trike. I got the lower fork legs painted but when I went to assemble them I found a bent up washer so I had to order a new one so it will be in Weds. So in order to make a little progress I finished up on the engine. I got the valve covers and front belt cover cleaned and installed after new belts and valve adjustment. I then moved on to new fuel filter , fuel lines and Vac hose. Found a bad wire up front so I fixed that too. Have the air filter back on . I hope to install the radiator with new hoses tomorrow. Oh and installed a new choke cable. So I think all in all was a good day.

Attachments

• PICT2459.JPG
    PICT2459.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 384
  • PICT2460.JPG
    PICT2460.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 384
Ok is time to get back to this trike project. I have been riding this trike around when I can and have discovered a few things. It rides rough and can surprise you with one heck of a head shake. I took the body off today and have discovered the following. I had replaced the air shocks that were on it with new ones. But I am now having second thoughts . Even at 30# (lowest recommended) it rides hard as there is no give. In looking at the suspension I think they are not what should be on there. I would think some type of coil/shock would work better. When you jack up the rear the shocks drop a little maybe an inch our two. As you let it down the wheels touch and shocks compress. Then I noticed today as it drops the last inch or so the front end raised up a little. So wouldn't that maybe make it a little lighter up front that it should be? I was told when building my VW trike that you want at least 175 # or more for them to steer well. And that was with out the rear body and fenders . Later this week a race driver friend is going to put the trike on scales so I can see how much weight is on each wheel. I also ordered new tires and alum wheels to lighten it up more. I am then going to try to line up new shocks with that info. If it is still bad I will look into front bearings and possibly steering stabilizer. I know this thing should handle better than it does. I am going to try TriWing one more time for help but they don't seem too interested in helping.

Attachments

• PICT2539.JPG
    PICT2539.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 345
  • PICT2540.JPG
    PICT2540.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 347
  • PICT2542.JPG
    PICT2542.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 351
  • PICT2547.JPG
    PICT2547.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 344
Those look like regular car shocks. If so I can understand why it rides so rough. They are bottomed out. They have no springs. cars have shocks and springs separate except with McPherson struts. They used to sell helper springs that clamped on to the car shocks. Maybe You can find a pair? Extend the shocks before installing the springs. It might be easier to just use bike shocks.

Good eyes Slabghost, Those are some old VW shocks I tried yesterday to see if they made any difference. And you are correct they seem to bottom out just like the air shocks I had on, then with the air they were too stiff, rock hard no give at all. After I get it weighed I am going to look into some bike ones with a spring on it. I am hoping that will give me a little spring in the rear so the shocks can do there job. I did email Triwing but I don't hold out much hope in getting any info from them. They either don't know or don't want to offer input on something that old even though it is there product.

Keep in mind the shocks are to hold you and the bike above the rear axle. You want the bike to float above it. Do not use the actual weight of the entire vehicle as base to choose shocks. All they really need to hold up is you and about half of the bikes weight minus the weight of the rear axle. Adjustable spring shocks like on the GL 1000 should be about right is my guess.

well Slabghost I think you are right. I got on ebay and found this item # 251272653099 and ordered them. They are 1/2 " over stock but I think that will be better as I have a lot of adjustment. I found a little more info on the TriWing site and according to them they use stock Honda shocks. I am still going to have it weighed just to know. I did a total weight on scale at dump grounds with a 1/4 tank of gas and came up with 960#. So I guess I will go from there. Thanks for input

Well the shocks showed up and I got a little garage time in today. I got the shock brackets fitting correctly on the rear end and painted so that can go together tomorrow. I also found out that when they modified the stock Honda exhaust they cut the tip and just bent it down under the rear end . It was too close for my liking and would make contact when I jacked up the trike. So I got 2 new down turn ends from parts store, cut off the tips .I will mount pipes tomorrow and fit the tips where they need to be. I hope it doesn't get too loud with out that baffle in the small tip on the end. Oh well is done now will just have to live with it. I will let you know how the weekend goes. John

Had a good day in the shop got the brackets back on and new shocks installed. Set the 5 way adjustment to second notch from bottom to start with. Cut the new tips to fit and welded them on, painted weld area and installed on trike. Got the body back on and took it for a ride. First of all the exhaust is louder, a little not bad but much deeper I think it is good. And second the ride is soooooooooooo much smoother. It is a firm ride but not the bone jarring shake your teeth it use to be. I think it is livable. Not sure it is going to need a front stabilizer or not. I may get one and make brackets this winter so it would be easy on and off next riding season. John

Attachments

• PICT2557.JPG
    PICT2557.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 260
  • PICT2553.JPG
    PICT2553.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 261
  • PICT2552.JPG
    PICT2552.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PICT2558.JPG
    PICT2558.JPG