MAKING A TRIKE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg

Just to cheer me up here is a recent pic with the rear mudguards half fixed on. If you look closely you might make out the redesigned handbrake. The fuel tank is off to sort out the piping and paintwork but everything is on hold until I've found the gears again.

Problems with the gearbox continue, the clutch plates are not stuck together, I pulled the springs and the prop shaft no longer turned the engine. Lifted the front cover and can find neutral, second and third by hand twisting the selector, but the others can't be got to. Yet.

I have been having an interesting week or so. Had some long Skype calls with Old Fogey on NGW. He of Wingovations if you don't know him. He suggested lifting the front cover and trying to find the gears directly with the selectors, which I did, finally, and got them all, so it was only the engine not turning that was jamming things. Good news.

He also enlightened me on some work that I should have done whilst the engine was out. As the engine is only just in, still dry and only connected to the prop shaft and radiator, I took it out to do them.
First job, clutch.

photo 2 (2).JPG

So here's a pic of where the clutch and alternator rotor used to be.

the plates were as new, but I still had the dodgy B plate so am replacing that with 2 plain plates.

photo 4-001.JPG

Then took the scavenge oil pump out to check the gasket, mine was fine but I cleaned it up, smoothed the surface a little with 1000 paper on a mirror. The chain is OK, it runs in an oil bath.

Alternator

photo 1 (1)-002.JPG

Stator has 3 burned coils. New one ordered. Starter clutch very dirty and signs of wear on the 3 roller bearings. Chain looked ok but ordered a new one with the starter clutch repair kit and polished the phosphor bronze surfaces with 1000 paper. Roller bearing still good and well oiled.

photo 1 (4).JPG

New back cover gasket ordered. Almost ready to put it all back again. Glad I tackled it, bought quite a bit of piece of mind for only about $250.

Funny isn't it, you think 'oh no, engine out' but when you grit your teeth and get on with it its just another good thing to do with what is fast becoming to me, a fantastic obsession. Even my lovely wife is happy to see me working on it as it gives me such a lift. Nice to know there's a load of fun out there however old you are!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180520#p180520:2hubnp5z said:
transitman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:11 am[/url]":2hubnp5z]
Funny isn't it, you think 'oh no, engine out' but when you grit your teeth and get on with it its just another good thing to do with what is fast becoming to me, a fantastic obsession. Even my lovely wife is happy to see me working on it as it gives me such a lift. Nice to know there's a load of fun out there however old you are!
:good:

Things are not looking up

photo (3)-001.JPG

I have had two pressure plate failures and finally, after fitting the third one, all nearly buttoned up and then the above bit snaps off the lifting plate.

Searching online finds only one second hand lifting plate anywhere, and by the time it gets to me it would cost around $160.
Cue serious rethink, then go see my metal supplier, a big time fabricator for all sorts of heavy stuff who being a good guy, sells me the bits and pieces I need. Get from him a 4.5 inch diameter, 4 inch long lump of billet aluminium.
My plan is to make a new one, using lathe and mill, then get it hard anodised later.

Probably be a week or so before I report back.

Can't say I'm much impressed by Honda clutch build quality.

Ouch! That usually happens if it binds somehow. Do you have one triple strength spring in there? If the machined part fails also I'd go steel.

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

Managed 3 of the 4 pics into the right orientation, started using the ipad rather than the phone to take pics.

first 2 show the thing being attacked in the lathe, last 2 show finished article and you can see where I have beefed it up. It is still accurate in all the critical dimensions and i have done a trial fit and it went in nicely.
Took it to an anodising company today, no problem, left it for a day, cost only about $15.

Whilst it is fresh in my mind I will try and make a second out of the offcut as it is already drilled. First one took 17 hours but 4 hours just to part off. Hobby lathes are brilliant but a bit slow for some operations. next one should be a lot quicker, although I suspect a professional turner would turn it out in about 4 hours, on an industrial lathe. Not complaining at all, delighted to have the opportunity to borrow a lathe and mill anytime i need them. Just trying to put it into perspective.

Looks a lot stronger. I'm wondering though about the cut outs on the original. Could they be to allow better oil movement or prevent some sort of hydraulic binding? Might need some holes in the same area of the new plate.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182940#p182940:3k7von4d said:
slabghost » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:10 am[/url]":3k7von4d]
Looks a lot stronger. I'm wondering though about the cut outs on the original. Could they be to allow better oil movement or prevent some sort of hydraulic binding? Might need some holes in the same area of the new plate.

Good point. Short answer, don't know.
But so fed up with failures I'm willing to take a chance.
Pick it up from anodisers today, plan to put it straight in and put the motor back and worry about it later!

I certainly hope it works as planned. Plate shouldn't move so much as to pump oil from the clutch is my thoughts now.