Trailer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129174#p129174:38mbfxhs said:
ekvh » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:38 pm[/url]":38mbfxhs]
Jorg, I just did some creeping through your album. Looks cool, very do-able. Do you have it mounted high, as above? Or on a standard trailer hitch?

Great question as I was trying to figure out if your hitch point was high or that was just the continuation of your storage frame/ bed :yes:

I moved the hitch point down to the standard location at the bumper. I was getting a wobble on really tight turns at low speeds. After I moved the hitch point to the bumper I realized the problem came from.my home made u-joint binding, not the hitch location. Anyway, I think it looks better mounted low. I've had it on a couple of extended road trips and some day trips with no issues. Doesn't seem to affect fuel millage or handling at all. I'll take some pictures when I get home.

The high mount makes me wonder too, unless it is an attempt to keep the weight more on the trailer wheel than the bike. Think wheel barrow? How is it backing up?

Can't wait for some follow up pictures and your new hitch mounting Jorge!! :popcorn: :popcorn:

Here's some mount pics.
20140824_142425.jpg
20140824_142401.jpg
20140824_142335.jpg

I think your right about the high mount putting more weight on the trailer wheel but I don't carry anything heavy. At most I'm guessing 50 lbs with the heaviest items located at the back wheel. When we go on multi-week road trips we carry a lot more volume but it's all fairly light (sleeping bags, air mattresses, etc.). The lower mount probably helps in crosswinds and braking. I was worried about not having the trailer sprung but haven't noticed any problems and we've done lots of bad gravel roads.

Backing up is just like any other trailer. Avoid having to back uphill. Reverse would really help or in my case a willing passenger.

:thanks: for the pics. If I ever need more space yours is the only trailer style that I would consider :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129288#p129288:d99rhcof said:
joedrum » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:54 am[/url]":d99rhcof]
hmmm my kind of trailer ... pulls inline tires all inline ... to me its perfect
+1 :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129273#p129273:2c2brzbv said:
dan filipi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:24 pm[/url]":2c2brzbv]
Is the trailer held from leaning left or right by the hitch?

The hitch holds the trailer at the same angle as the bike. As the bike leans so does the trailer.

About 40 yrs ago we where touring to the west coast with another couple who where trailering with a ball hitch. We where coming down the going to the sun pass at a good pace when he suddenly went wide and almost into the opposite side ditch. He brought it back to our side of the road and stopped. He was white as a sheet. I guess the hitch ran out of clearance, wouldn't allow the bike to lean further, and forced him wide. That stuck with me all these years.

I just re read this thread. Love both trailer builds. Intrigued though with the single wheel. Might try making a version of it myself. So far I've never felt need for a trailer on the bike though. How's it working out?

I built one of these for a bicycle and it worked well. I didn't feel the trailer behind the bicycle until I hit an upgrade.

The closer the load is to the trailer tire, the less weight you have on the hitch. I haven't seen any guidelines on max hitch weight, so I went for no more than 15% of the trailer weight being on the hitch.

The U-joint tongue keeps the trailer at the same angle as the bike, so the trailer center of mass should be as low as possible to avoid affecting the center of mass of the bike.

If you use the U-Joint hitch on a 2-wheeled cart behind a bicycle, you don't need a kickstand to keep the bicycle upright when you're stopped. However, it did make cornering interesting because I couldn't lean the bike.

We were driving through Yellowstone one summer and passed a camper that had his gear on the bicycle and a single wheel trailer. Don't ask me how he got that load up into the mountains, but he could fly on a downgrade.

As far as I know, a license plate is not required for a single wheel trailer.

The trailer has worked out good for us. We've used it on about 5 major trips and haven't had any issues.

Things I would change;

- I'd build it lighter. I went way overboard on gauge of metal and a lighter wheel/tire would also be good. I suspect it's strong enough to hold 800+ lbs but I only carry about 60 lbs.. There is no noticeable problem with being overbuilt but can't help but feel that it could have been built lighter. The wheel/tire/hub alone are probably 30 lbs.

- I'm going to mount retractable handlebars on the hitch end to make it easier to manually roll into motel rooms, etc.

- I'm going to add a fold out stand on the hitch end so that the trailer sits upright and level when it's off the bike for loading and unloading.

Neither the handlebars or the stand are a big deal to not have but would be simple improvements.

Jorg

Attachments

• IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 179
+1 :good:
One of the best builds with real world testing on CGW! :yes:
:thanks: Jorg :salute:

Cooler is right over the wheel or in the case of the trailer in the video it would be over the axle with the rest of the gear distributed between the axle and the hitch. In the video, if you press sideways at the end of the trailer you would create a sideways force in the opposite direction at the trailer hitch with the wheels being the pivot. If you press sideways where the wheels are there is no force generated at the hitch.

Jorg

Latest posts