Trinity MT-3 Fold Up Trailer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made2care

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2003 bmw r1200c
84 gl1200
My very first motorcycle trailer. It's the trinity mT-3 fold up trailer with torsion axle, no leaf springs.
Pulling it home with no bike on it was very bouncy and shook my truck quite a bit, especially on the rough roads.
Any ideas to fix this. Will it have less bounce when loaded?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 375
It's common for a empty trailer to tug and push around the tow vehicle like that.
How much depends on the weight ratio. My hf trailer pushes around the bike but I don't feel it at all on the burb.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180432#p180432:ie9ui7a9 said:
slabghost » Today, 8:39 am[/url]":ie9ui7a9]
Was it sitting level when hitched? As stated tires are the only adjustable suspension components.

yes. i guess i will load the bike and hopefully see a difference.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180425#p180425:2xdw4dtl said:
brianinpa » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:34 am[/url]":2xdw4dtl]
That would be to distribute the weight from the trailer to the truck, so it wouldn't help.

Actually, weight distributing hitch moves weight from the hitch ball (rear of the truck) forward to the steer axle of the tow vehicle and backward to the trailer axles, it lightens the drive axle. Without weight distribution a heavy trailer with a lot of tongue weight will make the rear of the tow vehicle squat and raise the front, making (in extreme cases) the steering very light. The weight distributing bars are, in essence, trying to fold the truck and trailer like a jackknife pivoting on the hitch ball in the direction where the trailer tires would touch the steer tires if it was to actually go all the way "closed" when thinking of a folding knife.

That being said, as light and as short as that trailer is most of the weight moved off of the back of the tow vehicle would transfer to the trailer axle so it MAY add enough weight to help but that seems like a lot to invest in a possible but not certain solution unless you are going to tow it unloaded a lot.

Nice looking trailer, :good: for a trailer. :roll: Hate to pull them, :sensored: have NEVER LIKED them, :nea: BUT they are handy to pull a bike home, when needed!!! :smilie_happy: