Tinkin aboot a trailer fer the 1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Mama might be up for longer trips iffin I had a trailer, so......I started lookin locally. Found these two. I like the green one cuz the 1500 is green, but the other one is cheaper, and looks like I would have less problems hooking it to a hitch. Not in any hurry...just doin some exploratory research. Thoughts? :moped:

green trailer

other one

Green one... you will need to also get the means to connect it to the bike. The large diameter wheels/tires will make that thing tow easily and it appears to be light weight so the 1500 shouldn't even struggle to stop it.

Other one... tried and true harbor freight with a roof top carrier. You will be able to carry more on that trailer than the green one but...
https://www.harborfreight.com/600-l...e-capacity-78-in-tag-along-trailer-62644.html
With the right sales/coupons you could buy a brand new one for the same price that would look a lot better... oh, and this is the one that Gerry uses.

Me likes the green one more better, but the arbor frait one me likes more the price.

Comes down to how much kitty cash ya got layin around burning holes in pockets.
Bike hitch slash wiring and other misc trailer doodads will cost some money.

Make an offer on the green one. As stated large wheels, light weight and I would think it would tow like a dream.

I like the green trailer except for the wheels and tire, not a big fan on those on a trailer, just seem a little light weight for potholes and high speed Interstate running.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192438#p192438:21draopm said:
backlander » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:51 am[/url]":21draopm]
I like the green trailer except for the wheels and tire, not a big fan on those on a trailer, just seem a little light weight for potholes and high speed Interstate running.
Heaps less revolutions on the highway for the wheel bearings Mike and much easier to push or ramp over obstructions. In the photo the hitch looks like it was designed to go behind a bicycle so maybe the wheels in real life might be that style.

Green one hands down! I'd offer the guy $500. If the color is even close to the bike color you'll never regret it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192443#p192443:1vbxbi1x said:
dan filipi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:00 pm[/url]":1vbxbi1x]
Those big tires on the green one look pretty wimpy, more like fat bicycle tires. Makes me wonder if they're highway rated.
Yep, it is an MC trailer. That is a Smitty trailer and they are popular over at MotoCampers:

image.php

I was all about the green one till someone pointed out the tongue and tires. Be sure this is rated for highway use, then consider it has been up for thirty days, and then make an offer that would make you happy. In perspective, I've been pulling a modified HF trailer packed with camping gear. Mods include narrowed a foot, extended aluminum tongue, lightened springs and homemade box, and 12" wheels. I'm very pleased with how it performs, have to keep checking to be sure it's still back there. Unintentional speed test up to 95 ( speedo read 100) with no problem. High speed twisties in Tennessee didn't phase it, and bearings were just warm to the touch after an hour of interstate running. You can't go wrong with the HF trailer, but heed the advice to watch the ads and get yourself a new one.

Edit: took me so long to write this...the green one is in a new light! Go for the green one.

You know, I notice the safety chains on the green trailer, I imagine they all have them. My wondering is this. If the trailer come unhinged do you want the thing dragging around back there on a chain? Seems to me that a trailer flying around on a chain is sure to bring you down. I understand that if it did come loose that it would wind up crashing into something, or someone. But isn't better to sacrifice the trailer than have it bring you down? Maybe you could stop fast enough, maybe not.

BTW, I love the spoke wheels.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192463#p192463:1zd5rue3 said:
wedoo2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:24 am[/url]":1zd5rue3]
You know, I notice the safety chains on the green trailer, I imagine they all have them. My wondering is this. If the trailer come unhinged do you want the thing dragging around back there on a chain? Seems to me that a trailer flying around on a chain is sure to bring you down. I understand that if it did come loose that it would wind up crashing into something, or someone. But isn't better to sacrifice the trailer than have it bring you down? Maybe you could stop fast enough, maybe not.

BTW, I love the spoke wheels.

Depending on the state that you ride into/through, if you do NOT have those chains, you will receive an unfriendly visit from the boys in blue.

I like the green one because of the color, and the larger diameter wheels. I do, however, have reservations about those skinny tire being able to haul a load at 75-80mph for any distance. They look like bicycle rims/tires in the pic. The one that mcgovern posted looks more like motorcycle tires. Also had questions aboot the hitch, but again, the one Gerry posted shows how that works out. All that being said, I don't think it would be big enough for all Mama's crap on an extended stay.... :blush: :hihihi:
The car carrier ones would be large enough, no doubt. Harbor Freight also has the trailers in aluminuminum instead of steel, which saves aboot 20 pounds, according to the specs....but they are also more 'spensive.
Definitely do NOT want one with 8" rims.....gotta go with at least a 12-13 inch rim size. What I have read here is that those that install larger diameter rims/tires have issues with the angle of the trailer while hitched up, so then tongue/receiver mods are needed. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it eventually.
As I said, I ain't in a hurry to do this deal just yet....just doin a little research on what is out there, and pricing.

:thanks:

I would go for the $300 one, put the color you want to on it and enjoy. Seems to be allright for tons of unneeded things :), low center of gravity, normal car tires that should last more than bicycle or bike ones, normal hitch most bikes can already have, like my 1200 and not a special hitch for +300$. Simple builded, easy to repair. My point of view.
Greez
Joebarteam

The only thing I can add is that I am currently out on a trip with my HF Tag Long trailer with the 8" wheels loaded up with16 cubic feet of stuff (I am estimating running 300 + pounds) and it tows fantastic at 75 MPH! I have already towd it to Florida and back and now running around New.
York. For my $300 invested, it was well worth it!

Plus, I built my directly as delivered. No extending the tounge, but added the trailer stand at the front for $18. Now, don't hold it against HF that I successfully shorted out the wiring by backing into my fence. :shock: :doh: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192479#p192479:2ug8xa51 said:
zman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 am[/url]":2ug8xa51]
Kinda up there but lots of room for 1200 or trade for sumthin.
https://texoma.craigslist.org/mcy/6169854527.html

That one wouldn't work!

"... Ice Chest in Front with Harley Leather Cover..."

:smilie_happy:

Honestly, I like the aluminum box trailers better than a roof-top carrier type.