KB's camper project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a new year, time to get started on a new project! a custom camper for the bike.
My first trailer build was a success, and armed with this new knowledge I'm eager to start on the camper trailer I wanted to build in the first place. Along the way my desires and goals have changed to accommodate what I don't like about tent camping off the bike...setting up and tearing down, especially in the rain. So this new trailer will be my twist on the really cool concept followed by the leisure-lite company of a tent that sets itself up as the trailer is folded open. Of course if that was all I wanted then just buy a leisure-lite...but no...I have to give it the teardrop twist for aerodynamics. The other reason to build my own is to keep weight to a minimum so my GL1100 will have a better chance of pulling ok and stopping safely.
I still have many questions to answer so I invite your opinions, suggestions, and maybe some snide remarks to keep it fun. Defending one's plan is often a good way to find a better answer to the question we think we have already figured out.
Pictures...we all want to see the pics or it didn't really happen, so here they are: The first prototype to see if I could actually build a usable trailer. Then there is the frame I'm starting with which I found on craigs list.

Attachments

• framesmall.jpg
    framesmall.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 304
  • teardropsmall.jpg
    teardropsmall.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 296
My craigslist trailer find came with a Dexter torsion spring axle. The seller told me the axle was good for 1500 lbs. After further consideration I figured this was so robust that my 300 lb load wouldn't be enough to take advantage of the springs, so my trailer would just bounce on its tires. This was not a good way to start so I got a pair of torsion spring axle stubs and proceeded to make a new carrier for them to fit the existing mounts on the frame. I didn't end up saving much weight over the original cast iron axle, but the new load capacity is now 500 lbs. max

Attachments

• newaxle3.jpg
    newaxle3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 297
  • newaxle2.jpg
    newaxle2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 295
  • stub axle.jpg
    stub axle.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 302
  • axlemounts.jpg
    axlemounts.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 278
Hey Kerry;

I'm thinking about building a teardrop to pull behind a GL1200 and was planning to base it on a Harbor Freight 4' X 8' trailer. Couldn't find one in the catalog and they have suspended selling them due to DOT rules on tires! Wahhhh!! Another good deal gone.

I guess I could build the body and then look for the trailer to put it on.

DIY has its place, but a wise man (Eastwood) once said - and somebody repeated it here recently:

...."A man's gotta know his limitations."

So, putting one together is one thing. But, having it turn out as well as that beautiful first "prototype" effort pictured above, is quite another. That puppy is a show stopper.

It’s nice I’ve seen it up close ...the deal here is have a frame then make it flex for the wheels ...it is a building zig zag deal that ends up weighty ...then there’s one wheel trailers ...I’ve got some ideas on that from time to time ...

I like camping from a tent. A few years ago, I added a cot to my inventory and that pretty much limits me to a trailer to carry everything, but as you pointed out Kerry, tents have their disadvantages. I have been kicking this idea around and also the possibility of camping from the back of a pick-up and trailering the bike to wherever I am going. I'm not sure that is the way I want to go though. I will be watching this one with interest!

I do the camping from the trailer via tent and I love it! But, you are correct in there are certain things (like setup or tear down in the rain) that have limits.

My 8 person instant tent only takes 2 minutes to setup and has a tremendous amount of room in it. But I was shocked when the sun came up and as soon as it hit the tent, it heated up real fast in there. Opening the windows and doors helped, but I really needed a tarp over the tent to cut back on the radiant heat.

I brought a double bed size inflatable mattress this time (full size and height) so that I did not have to get up off the ground after sleeping. It really made a difference for my knees and back. The Leisurelite and Roll-A-Homes have that same advantage.

Your first trailer is awesome! I am sure this one will be even better. :yes:

image.php

Brian,

I like camping from a tent. A few years ago, I added a cot to my inventory and that pretty much limits me to a trailer to carry everything, but as you pointed out Kerry, tents have their disadvantages. I have been kicking this idea around and also the possibility of camping from the back of a pick-up and trailering the bike to wherever I am going. I'm not sure that is the way I want to go though. I will be watching this one with interest!

as your bones get a bit more arthritis in them, you will appreciate that idea a lot more...
I am done with riding 1,000s of miles in the heat, just to get to where "the nice, cool rides are" and enjoy being with my friends.

By the time I made it to Meadows of the Dan 2 years ago, I was so worn out, and suffering from the heat so badly, that I stayed in the motel room a whole day before I had enough energy to go meet the guys at the campground.

Never again, I am now using my Suburban and will be towing either the m/c trailer and bike alone, or if my daughter and the dogs are going with me ( you have met them ) we will be towing the new Toy Hauler that she bought for us.

I am in love with that Toy Hauler, the bike goes in the garage at the rear....

and tired? Need to pee? Dogs need to run?
just pull into a Rest Area and set 'er up.... that means, putting the doggie ramp down, and let them have a prowl ( on the leash of course )

Here is a pix that I took down at my aunt's home in Kingston, Oklahoma over Thanksgiving week.....

Note the ramp I made for us old folks to walk up, instead of those "too high" steps that hurt my knees. Oh, we get to take along a little yeller wagon to let us pull stuff around here and there.... really helps out a lot, never thought much about taking a wagon along before, but my daughter wanted it to carry all of the food from the trailer to the camp kitchen at my aunt's home. she has a special building for Community Gatherings.... they have 10 acres...

Attachments

• Truck and Trailer 800 pixels.jpg
    Truck and Trailer 800 pixels.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 231
just noticed the neat feature on the left side, where you can click on all of the pictures in this one thread.

that is neat, very neat....

Ok, I'm feeling a little dense here...what feature ( button, picture, icon) do I select to see all the pictures in a thread?
I've this by accident in the past but can't seem to find it now.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200411#p200411:20czg9a6 said:
kerryb » 44 minutes ago[/url]":20czg9a6]
Ok, I'm feeling a little dense here...what feature ( button, picture, icon) do I select to see all the pictures in a thread?
Click on a prior attachment in the thread then all of them will show on the left.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200411#p200411:1278k9k1 said:
kerryb » Today, 12:46 pm[/url]":1278k9k1]

When I click on one of the attached post photos, I see a vertical panel on the left side of the screen that contains thumbnails of all the photos in this one thread.... just the thread....

a feature that I think is just really neat, I can click through all of them and compare current comments against one of the prior photos.
here is a screen snapshot showing what I see on my Linux Mint 18.3 laptop

Panels to the left.png

that's odd, it isn't working on that attachment, I placed it as an "inline picture".

Wonder if I had left it as just an attachment it would have worked differently?

Maybe it only works for the "current page" ?

this is page two, and I just went to page 1 and clicked on the first post image, the nice tear drop trailer, and the vertical panel popped up and became active... and I can click on any one of the thumbnails and it brings up that image.

Okay, I just added another image, a voltmeter on my bike....
and yup, now I can see the vertical panel but only the two images in THIS PAGE pop up to be clicked on.

Attachments

• Voltmeter Cropped.jpg
    Voltmeter Cropped.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 255
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200422#p200422:1gvq1v4o said:
brianinpa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:33 pm[/url]":1gvq1v4o]
Well shucks! :oops:

+1
And thanks to all those who commented nicely on my trailer. I hope to get back to this project soon as I want to use the new trailer this season.

Finally got a 4x8 utility trailer for $125, so the build is on! (after I get the 84 back together and the carbs rebuilt).

Step 1. Get a trailer.

Attachments

• Tear drop frame.jpg
    Tear drop frame.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 229