Sidecar Plan,Diagramm,shematic of the frame and fixture??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gervais

Reaction score
hi all
i want to built my own sidecar,
i need a shematic,plan,diagramm to gave me guidance from where to work on.
Anyone have a plan,a picture of a frame from an actual sidecar??
anyhelp will be appreciated

thanks
merci
Gef

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200683#p200683:8f3jbbcs said:
slabghost » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm[/url]":8f3jbbcs]
Read here. Maybe you'll get some ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1142

That was my Unison Leaner sidecar thread.
It is completely different from regular rigidly mounted sidecar.
The sidecar leans with the tug (motorcycle) so the rig handles like regular motorcycle.
If that's what you want to go, I can send you photos and drawings (in old AutoCAD dxf format.)

back-side.jpg

down.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/dDFxL-ye1qI[/video]

If you want to build a regular sidecar rig, maybe sidecar.com forum will be the place to go.

well
2 years ago i was the owner of an Ural 2WD,,it was special to say the least.
i loved her in the ATV trail but on the road,under power,,it was scary in big traffic like in Quebec city or Montreal.
Suspension was "NOT AVAILABLE" ,,,,

now i want to built my own for my GW,

this tilt sidecar,,,humm i am not sure i like that.

but videos are not like driving the real thing just like i learn with the Ural.

gervais

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200755#p200755:3k50684s said:
gervais » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:41 pm[/url]":3k50684s]
well
2 years ago i was the owner of an Ural 2WD,,it was special to say the least.
i loved her in the ATV trail but on the road,under power,,it was scary in big traffic like in Quebec city or Montreal.
Suspension was "NOT AVAILABLE" ,,,,

now i want to built my own for my GW,

this tilt sidecar,,,humm i am not sure i like that.

but videos are not like driving the real thing just like i learn with the Ural.

gervais

I once had Velorex rigidly mounted to my BSA so I know how you feel with underpowerd Ural. LOL
With rigid setup you can "fly the chair" and that was fun.

My motivation was to carry my (then small) son safely and not to loose motorcycle feel.
Now he grew up and no problem with two up riding plus that modified Velorex body is too small.
Soon he can get his driver's license too.

Well
on our main roads here the Ural could be dangerous because she was not able to follow the traffic but in rural road that was her best places and gravel roads too.she gave me so much back pain anyway that i sold her so i dont regret her much but my xyl loved the sidecar so i have the idea of building my on but shematic,diagramm are are .
By what i have found everyone is doing this by everybody design,,

i must have an hydraulic brake on the side connected at the Goldwing or an electric brake,,i will see when i am there.

those long rods used to adjust the sidecar distance from the bike may become a problem to find them,,i will check with Ural parts maybe i could find 3 of them.

the BSA reminds me of XS650 1971 that i add,,,years ago,,bad frame,bad brakes but what an engine this XS

gervais

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200774#p200774:2pei99vx said:
gervais » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:04 am[/url]":2pei99vx]
Well
on our main roads here the Ural could be dangerous because she was not able to follow the traffic but in rural road that was her best places and gravel roads too.she gave me so much back pain anyway that i sold her so i dont regret her much but my xyl loved the sidecar so i have the idea of building my on but shematic,diagramm are are .
By what i have found everyone is doing this by everybody design,,

i must have an hydraulic brake on the side connected at the Goldwing or an electric brake,,i will see when i am there.

those long rods used to adjust the sidecar distance from the bike may become a problem to find them,,i will check with Ural parts maybe i could find 3 of them.

the BSA reminds me of XS650 1971 that i add,,,years ago,,bad frame,bad brakes but what an engine this XS

gervais

I am not sure any rigidly mounted sidecar rigs are good for your back pain...
They need stiffer suspension (both motorcycle and sidecar) for less attitude change in corners.

For Goldwing rig, you may need to rake front forks too. Otherwise steering will become really heavy.
Electric lean adjustment may be convenient too to handle different road crowns.

A few years ago I drove rigid GSX1100L rig (forgot the sidecar brand) my friend just bought. All of a sudden, that tipsy feeling in right turns came back to me.

If you don't mind leaning your Goldwing, you can also try "hybrid" or "Armec" style leaner rig. The sidecar remains level while only motorcycle leans. I had XS750 hybrid leaner rig before GL1100 unison leaner.

DSCN2093.JPG

[video]https://youtu.be/4OX-eSGO0Rg[/video]

With this setup, you don't have to do anything for the motorcycle and also can soften sidecar suspension.
The downside is to make overall rig width wider to keep enough right side lean angle. Also designing the outrigger arm which doesn't interfere with motorcycle exhaust may be a challenge.

And of course you need to remember putting your foot down at traffic lights. Otherwise the motorcycle falls down. LOL

well
i never seen that kind of sidecar before,looking at the motorcycle lean like this,,i would find it scary a bit but i add experiences with my Ex:Ural but it was rigid.i remember the first semi i met on the road,,,,,,man i was affraid because the vacuum in the back of the van.

the Velorex would be a good starting point,now i will try to find a video of this one and show details:how it is fixed,built,,

thanks again
very interesting discussion.

gervais
riviere-bleue
quebec

You can google "Armec sidewinder" to get the info.
Here's YouTube video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a9QOnFUKgE[/video]

Armec is a German company and their mounting kits seem to be exclusively for BMW. (Edit: the video lists MotoGuzzi too.)
Their sidecar frame sits very low. That is good for reducing motorcycle/sidecar interference (both body-to-body and outrigger-to-exhaust) but I wonder it may hit the ground when you go over speed bumps etc.

I designed my mounting subframe for XS750 myself. I first made mockup with pieces of wood.

DSCN2028.JPG

DSCN2021.JPG

Rear attaches to center stand (removed) brackets, for the front I attached generic Velorex U-clamps to motorcycle frame then attached the subframe to them.

DSCN2059.JPG

It has two mounting points where outrigger arms are attached with heim joints.
Mounting points should be on motorcycle centerline. People say front point should be higher than rear point.
This way when motorcycle leans sidecar tire is steered toward turning direction.

I ended up moving rear mount point closer to sidecar from the centerline to avoid outrigger arm hitting exhaust when motorcycle leans.

DSCN2065.JPG

DSCN2064.JPG

I also made sidecar-motorcycle distance adjustable.

DSCN2082.JPG

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200821#p200821:3okfch9i said:
gervais » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:28 pm[/url]":3okfch9i]
the Velorex would be a good starting point,now i will try to find a video of this one and show details:how it is fixed,built,,

If you are thinking Velorex as rigidly mounted sidecar for Goldwing, that's not a good idea.
Velorex was designed for lighter motorcycles (originally Jawa 350cc or something.)

It's too light and frame is not stiff enough for Goldwing.
You need to put ton of ballast otherwise sidecar lifts up so easily in right turns.

excellent video and your pictures of you bracket.

since the GW is a flat four,i would have too move the support away from the chassis,the frame (i am using a traductor sometime)
i must check how space between the sidecar and the GW i need when the GW comes leaning.

gets me idea,i just finish my outside alternator now,just continuing too modify the body work because of the position of the radiator that gets 1.25 inch further in front.

thanks 101%

gervais

i am thinking about 1.5 inch x1.5 inch x.250 inch thick metal .
the Ural frame was round and ,,,,,,,ordinary welded but it gave me some ideas.

i must check the long treaded rod now for the alignement of the sidecar vs the GW,

gef

Well
looking again at your pictures,
the stress point is the 2 long tube that united the 2 vehicules and their Fixture U shape in the middle of these tube,there are the stress point.there are metal today that can support that easy.

you seems to have been using Metal versus aluminium,,,any reasons? if this is not just because of the weight factor of the Sideccar.

gervais

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200829#p200829:67ucidxz said:
gervais » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 pm[/url]":67ucidxz]
i am thinking about 1.5 inch x1.5 inch x.250 inch thick metal .
the Ural frame was round and ,,,,,,,ordinary welded but it gave me some ideas.

i must check the long treaded rod now for the alignement of the sidecar vs the GW,

gef

I don't remember right now but I used 1.5x1.5 steel square tubing with thinner than 0.25 wall.
So 0.25 should be really strong.

I didn't use any aluminum. Everything was made of steel. I am not sure which part you are talking about..

I found some drawings I drew.

all.jpg

drawing.jpg

drawing2.jpg

drawing3.jpg

Latest posts