Gearing ?? / Trike build !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
I have downloaded the complete Manual , and have done quite a bit of reading on this before asking you guys. I think I have already said I'm planning on converting my Goldwing into a Trike . well , I went yesterday and found the doner car for the rear... a 1977 or 78 Subaru 4X4 wagon .
HERE is my question , in the manual it says a 1980 GL1100 , the Final Drive Gear Ratio is 3.091 , and 5th. Gear Ratio is 0.909 ... sooooo I am thinking the Final Drive is the Gearing Inside the Rear Wheel ... Is That Right ??? and the 0.909 is at the output shaft from the Trans ....Right ??? the Subaru rear gear ratio is 3.70 : 1 soooo..... if the rear wheel on the Goldwing is 3.09 then the Subaru rear should be just a little slower , but , also a little quicker , and with the extra weight should about all even out . . . . . anybody know if this is right or not ???

Yes 309:1 is the final drive ratio
I don't know how a 370 would work out, seems like a big jump because 1980 in 5th is already pretty tall.
I think a rear axle closer to 310 would be better suited but I'm just guessing really.

Thanks Dan , well , the 370 will be a little slower on the road , But , I have rode my Goldwing well past the last numbers on the speedometer , I know mine at 65 mph is turning about 4,500 on the tach . and I'm thinking with a Trike 65 might be about as fast as I would want to go anyway . so....... maybe that will work out , the reason I'm gonna use an Old Subaru rear , is because it's like an Old Jag. or Vette . Independent sys. and should ride a lot better , and the way they bolt under the older modle Subaru . would be easy to build the frame work to bolt it all to... and put it back just like it was under the car . these cars had Torsion Bar sys.....that you can unbolt and adjust the ride hight and all that . ... I built a little trailer years ago , out of an old Subaru 2 wheel drive rear . thanks again for the help. :music:

yes the 1980-81 oldwings are the lowest geared 4cylinder wings....but im thinking with you the wife and the subaru rear end will make a nicely geared trike ....that will show some zip through the gears and the load will be down on the drivetrane....the only other thing to consider is rear wheel size difference and that effect ......i think it will be a little high on the rpm at 70mph but i think its in a doable zone and the roll on power will be good in fourth and fifth gears ..... :mrgreen: great project

yeah I have been doin' some figuring on tire size , ( around the Outside ) and I think you guys are right . with the right size Tires and considering the extra weight of the Rear and the Extra Frame work .... it should be ok I think . and I can come out with something kinda close, I'll be ok .........AND , I'm glad it's like it is ......instead of the otherway .

I really think with 370 ratio and smaller (15") tires than stock its going to be screaming at 65 mpg and trans ratios will be so close you'll be shifting alot but that may be what's needed given the engines power with the extra weight.
If you find you do want better to tweak it some there's always the option of putting in 83 trans gears.
I ran 81 gears with a 16 inch wheel and hated it.

Ohhhhhhhh will all the gears switch in the 1100's ??? that would be a lot of work , but.....thats always something to think about , so there was a lot of difference in just the difference in a 17" and a 16" rear wheel ????

Work switching gears would be nothing compared to building on the trike.

I'd have to look but I thinks it's 80-81 are the same ratios or very close then there was a change in 82 and 83.
I have 83 gears running in an 81 block so I know that will work, probably the same for all the other years.

we just got back from a Camping trip up in W.Va..... well , I never really thought about the Direction of the Drive Shaft , but... I sure need to find out about that , and yes I had to think about it a little , but I guess it really would be right if it was Upside down. I need to look into that, thanks for that guys.

allllllrighty then , the Subaru turns same direction as the Goldwing ........... and I'm sure glad too......I plan on going to take the Rear out tomorrow .
and start cleaning it up and all that stuff.... and planning .

i just seen the pics of the rear end i think the independent suspension rear end is a great choice and sould do better than most trikes sledge ....just a guess but that what we all go on .....i like it :mrgreen:

here are some Pictures.

Attachments

• Rear  IN  Subaru 7.JPG
    Rear IN Subaru 7.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 192
and here , all the older Subaru's had Tortion Bar Sus. . . . no Springs , and you can change the ride hight , by just moving the ends of the Bars.

Attachments

• Rear OUT & Cleaned 5.JPG
    Rear OUT & Cleaned 5.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 192
Looks perfect for the job. I wonder how much trouble it might be to use 18" wing wheels and tires? Do keep us updated on this most attractive build. Seems a bit of planning and geometry it could lean into corners as easily as a two wheeler. Is that planned?