Trailer bounce

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papalode

Reaction score
I have a home built trailer that I plan on using with my '83 however I noticed it does get into a bounce mode. I pulled it with the Honda (car) this last summer and figured I must attend to that problem. It is a former old Harbor Freight that I have had for 15 years that I shortened up and added a Sears carrier surrounded by 8" of diamond plate for looks. Two leaf springs under the axle and running about 20psi. I read somewhere that someone was running 5-6psi and now I am thinking a harder tire is working against me. Any thoughts? I'll attach a pic if I can figure out how to do that also. 2nd post only. Help on that possibly?

Attachments

• P9260198-new.jpg
    P9260198-new.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 911
First, yes, drop your tire pressure to 10 to 15 psi. Second, consider removing the second leaf spring, it may be giving you too much stiffness. Third, check your tongue length (should be a distance of 1.5 times the distance between the wheels from the axle to the hitch ball). Too little distance from the axle to the hitch will make it bounce quite a bit.

Last, check the hitch weight against the total trailer weight, should be around 10 to 15 percent on the tongue or about 30 pounds.

Thanks for the input everyone. After checking the trailer over this morning I discovered I am under the 1.5 times tongue length. Fortunately I can extend it with little effort. I'll bring the tire pressure down and remove one of the two springs on each side. My tongue weight was rather heavy this past summer with camp gear so I think shifting the axle forward should help there. Found out my ship date on the Aspencade I am waiting on has been moved up to arriving here before New Years. Yaaaaaa! My old '97SE pulled the trailer ok a few years ago but that bounce was irritating. I always thought the load just had to be shifted. Live and learn. Thanks again.

I had trailer bounce once a long time ago. Found out the wife had been collecting rocks for the garden. She had 300 lbs shuved in every nook and crany. Of course that was in a 28 foot camp trailer..... Anyone ever seen the LONG-LONG TRAILER with Lucy and Dezie :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Question I always wondered is if you are pulling a home made or modified trailer and had an accident would your insurance cover it? UL and DOT listings become invalid as soon as you modify them in most cases.
Thats not to mention that most of the tires guys mount on these trailers are not rated for hiway speeds

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

1060dsl":1bxqp1c7 said:
Question I always wondered is if you are pulling a home made or modified trailer and had an accident would your insurance cover it? UL and DOT listings become invalid as soon as you modify them in most cases.
Thats not to mention that most of the tires guys mount on these trailers are not rated for hiway speeds

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
I suppose that would depend on local laws. I'm pretty sure they'd be covered here as the state requires registration. Cars and other vehicles are all covered even though modified.

Good point on modified cars, trucks etc. still insured even with mods. It stands to reason a modified motorcycle trailer should be insured also. When I register this new (to me) '83 Asp. and insure it I will ask my agent the question. Anyone know the proper prep on the cargo container I would like to paint to color match? I've seen enough of them painted to match the bikes towing them and it looks way better. As this is a plastic or possibly an ABS product I am a little concerned about the paint sticking properly.

^^^^^^What he said! I'd like to paint mine as well. Any rattle can paints that will work on the semi-flexible surface? Any rattle can paints available to match old Gold Wing colors?

Most car toppers are not abs or regular toe plastic.. they are a poly plastic like the 5 gal paint buckets and the home depot homer buckets... can they be painted yes but it is not an easy task and is labor intensive.. I used lemon plastic paint and it has become like powder and rubs off... a couple off friends I know have same issue.paint chips or flakes off... looks good when painted.. but will need to be frequently touched up to keep it looking good..

I'm thinkin there isn't much can be done about the bounce because the whole trailer is so light.
Weight is needed to spring the springs before shocks would help any.
The bounce is the whole thing bouncing up in the air leaving the ground.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106259#p106259:12y5glut said:
dan filipi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:19 am[/url]":12y5glut]
I'm thinkin there isn't much can be done about the bounce because the whole trailer is so light.
Weight is needed to spring the springs before shocks would help any.
The bounce is the whole thing bouncing up in the air leaving the ground.
+1 My box trailer is horrible to tow empty, but put a load in and it is the greatest thing out. Maybe your springs are still too stiff, that is where my empty bounce comes from.

I know this is an old thread but I figured the info can be used by someone who has the same problem.
The pull bar cannot be shorter than 1.5 times the axle width. That is, if the axle width is 32", the pull bar cannot be shorter than 48". Otherwise, you will have trailer bounce. This is a common oversight.

To keep trailer sway down to a minimum, weight needs to be as far forward as possible.