Gl 1200 Adventure bike, with sidecar

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember someone starting a Gold wing adventure bike build on here, maybe Paul from C5 ? Also considering an adventure style sidecar to go with it. Anyone have any info on these two things ? Looking into the near future of having to give up two wheels and I think I would enjoy this combo to continue riding. Thanks !!

Pretty sure you are right. It was Paul but I have no idea how far his build has gone. He's been really busy with the C5 stuff.

Thanks V, I may try to message him. Still doing all the research now. Seems to be a problem finding dual sport tires in the proper stock size but I haven't given up looking. lol

Bought this cargo sidecar today that was being run on a GL 1000. I got it mainly for the mounts and axle as it has a 500 # rated rubber torsion arm axle with 12 in tire. This will be the start for my sidecar build. Due to the combination of the PO and my doctor appointments I'm suppose to pick it up in two weeks. I am one happy camper now.

Cargo Sidecar-Cecillia, La -Kenneth.jpg

Congratulations! Looks great! My wife would have me cut open the top and install a seat right away. That should keep you out in the wind as long as you like.

That's suppose to be a water tight plywood box that's on it now, I will most likely build an adventure style tub and mount on the frame. I know of a couple of mods I want do on the frame already but it's a start. The mounts are whats so dang expensive so I came out ahead buying the whole thing even if I only use it for the mounts.

Since this will be an adventure build. Why not make the pod a removable mini boat? With all the rain we've had this year you might need it?

Made the round trip to Cecillia, La yesterday to pick up my cargo side car, the basis for the adventure sidecar build. 556 miles in 8.5 hours driving time, wasn't much grass growing uder that Nissan Xterra. Here's a few "before " pictures after I got back and unloaded, pay no attention to dirt, spider webs and dirt dauber nests, it will clean up. The wooden box and fender will not be used, I was after the mounts, frame, axle since it was built for a GL 1000, should be a near plug and play on the GL 1200.

WP_20150703_012.jpg

WP_20150703_014.jpg

WP_20150703_011.jpg

Stripped the bike and started installing the sidecar mounts. Although the mounts swivel on the sidecar end giving you some leeway in where you mount the stationary mounts on the bike you still have limits to stay within to position the sidecar properly to the bike. The sidecar has to be level when set up and the sidecar wheel needs to be forward of the 1200 bike's rear axle approx. 9.75 inches or 15 % of the bikes total wheelbase.

WP_20150709_001.jpg

WP_20150709_002.jpg

WP_20150709_003.jpg

WP_20150709_004.jpg

WP_20150709_005.jpg