Just goes click

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll assume the battery is good and connections are good...? Is this a bike you've run or did you just get it?

as lew says is it new to you if it is iwould take the plugs out .....take the stator cap plug off ....and turn the motor by hand with i 12 mm socket or offset wrench....i would spray pb blaster in the plug holes too and only turn the sator bolt clockwise ...turn slowly and easy it might be stuck and it might be off timed you dont know if you dont know .......

Hi Rando,
welcome to the site. :yahoo:

also you should be able to turn the engine (with the plugs out and the bike on the center stand, in 5th gear) by turning the back tire.
the key here is to be careful. you dont want to bend a valve if thats the reason your bike wount turn over....
also the starter wire at the starter can be loose. the starter itself could be loose and not getting a good ground.
or the starter could be fried as this happens sometimes to our style bikes.
a bit more investigation, will yield a better prognosis.

Thanks alot guys. I will go through these procedures and repost. Yes the bike was running but it sounded like the starter was having a real hard time. Just had to keep trying and then it would finally start. Maybe fried started like mentioned. That doesn't sound easy to fix.

Randoo":3blmsa4y said:
Thanks alot guys. I will go through these procedures and repost. Yes the bike was running but it sounded like the starter was having a real hard time. Just had to keep trying and then it would finally start. Maybe fried started like mentioned. That doesn't sound easy to fix.

the starter isnt too bad to rebuild, the kits for the starter is around 35$ and theres a couple good tutorials on rebuilding.
take a look around, you'll find them.

jdegase":247x9nqi said:
Randoo":247x9nqi said:

the starter isnt too bad to rebuild, the kits for the starter is around 35$ and theres a couple good tutorials on rebuilding.
take a look around, you'll find them.
As long as the armature is still good. They are pretty easy to test:
1. Using a ohmeter, test for continuity between pairs of armature bars (the long ones). There should be continuity between the pairs around the entire circumference.

2. Check for continuity between pairs of commutator bars (the short ones) there should be continuity between the pairs of bars and also check between the commutator bars and the armature shaft, there should be no continuity there.

And by the way, where in central Illinois are you. If you don't mind me asking...we might be neighbors.

I'm in Bloomington. Hopefully I'll have time to try these fixes. I want to ride this baby soon. This is the second time I've owned it. Love the GL 1000's.......

Randoo":2kqrltz4 said:
I'm in Bloomington. Hopefully I'll have time to try these fixes. I want to ride this baby soon. This is the second time I've owned it. Love the GL 1000's.......
Not too far from me...I'm near Quincy. Get that bad boy running right and maybe we can get together and give them both a work out. :salute:

Yeah. Mines real similar to yours. I have the samsonite luggage instead. Good roads over your way. Would love to take the wing over there....

Randoo":3vzollql said:
Trying to get the wing started. It just goes click. I've replaces the starter solenoid. Any other idea's? Thank you.

Sometimes mine just goes click so i have to thump my starter solenoid next to the battery every 4th time i start the bike it seems
How much did it cost you to replace yours? Im getting real tired of having to thump mine and it gets embarrassing when people are around me when i try to start my bike and i have to do that

BigAndrew":33ymzp7a said:
Randoo":33ymzp7a said:
Trying to get the wing started. It just goes click. I've replaces the starter solenoid. Any other idea's? Thank you.

Sometimes mine just goes click so i have to thump my starter solenoid next to the battery every 4th time i start the bike it seems
How much did it cost you to replace yours? Im getting real tired of having to thump mine and it gets embarrassing when people are around me when i try to start my bike and i have to do that
Needed one when I first got my 1000...got it on ebay for around $25 if I remember right. I believe the all use the same solenoid, someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Got mine off Ebay. $14. It's off an old bike so not new but did say it would operate as it's supposed to. Anyway to check if those are good or bad?

I just had to replace my solenoid- I fixed it the first time by smacking it with a hammer but I didn't want to carry a hammer around with me so I ordered a new one. I got mine from Street Bike Warehouse new for $25. Couple of days after I got it I pushed the start button and the old solenoid went click and nothing happened so the new one went on. It wasn't the same but it had the rubber boot and that fit on the stock metal tabs exactly. The 4-pin connector from the ignition plugged right in but I did have to cut off the little plastic retainer tab. It uses regular auto blade fuses and has a spare fuse tucked into the boot. Works great so far.

Sometimes that click can be caused by the contacts in the starter switch... the contacts inside get corroded and have to be scraped to make good contact...if there is corrosion in the contacts the starter will not cet enough current through the switch to turn the starter....this has happened to me on several diferent bikes....It is a cheap fix and fast
Bob

Yes take the starter button off the handle bar open it up you will fins metal contacts under the button clean them up.... this has worked for me many times on dirt dikes as well as street. this on only one option ans the other suggestions have also been very good....But hay simple is good....Bob