Dyna S or Hondaman Transistorized Ignition?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akolleth

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So- I have a 77 Goldwing with the points system. In my quest to find the cause of the ignition issues I replaced both points with new ones, spark plug caps, condenser, and spark plugs. Well I finally figured out thanks to the helpful guys on this board that my coils have gone out and I am at the point to where I can try and deal with it. I am going to go withe the Dyna coil as a starting point to whichever route I go.

**I know you all highly recommend the C5 but truthfully its out of my price range right now. If I save up enough for it I will have to wait until next spring. As I don't want to miss a whole season of riding, I am looking at the lower priced alternatives, Dyna S and the Hondaman Transistorized ignition, then picking up the C5 next tax season.

I am looking at two options--

1- New Dyna coils, and a Dyna S ignition. I am worried about the declining quality I have been reading about.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNA-S-ELE...979-/380377017390?hash=item58903cac2e&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyna-Ignit...000-/380693575839?hash=item58a31af89f&vxp=mtr

2- New Dyna coils, the Hondaman transistorized Igntion, and the required resistor he sells as well. Seems like it could be a good fit with the brand new points that are on there.
https://sohc4shop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32
https://sohc4shop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=44

Both options run about the same amount. So does anyone have an opinion about Hondaman transistorized Ignition versus the Dyna S?

Or even:

3- Keep the points, New Dyna coils and the hondaman resistor. I am not sure if that has any advantage over #2 honestly besides saving me $77

You have new points. New coils, plugs, caps, condensor, I think in a previous post you said you used the stock ballast. If it were me trying to ride and save money I'd be setting the points and timing as close to right as I can get them and ride the daylights out of it. You already have a new ignition system just set everything and run it as is. Hondaman stuff may extend the life of the points but if you plan to go C5 this winter I doubt the points will trouble you before. If so a light clean and readjustment should set them right again.

to answer the ? ...id go with hondaman stuff......it is more flexable and going back to stock ignition can be done on side of road easy ...by just replugging wires and condensers up ... hondaman +1

I have a hondaman set-up w/ GL1500 coils on my gl1000.You can email the hondaman, and see if you need the resistor pack. Been ok for 5k miles. The 1500 coils are more affordable than the dyna. If you decide dyna, go with their coils. I've drifted away from this forum because of the c5 and single carb emphasis. Just wasn't the direction I wanted to go. Bike runs fine, is comfy, able to easily pass on the interstate.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153147#p153147:10q0wgcx said:
NCScooter » 41 minutes ago[/url]":10q0wgcx]
I have a hondaman set-up w/ GL1500 coils on my gl1000.You can email the hondaman, and see if you need the resistor pack. Been ok for 5k miles. The 1500 coils are more affordable than the dyna. If you decide dyna, go with their coils. I've drifted away from this forum because of the c5 and single carb emphasis. Just wasn't the direction I wanted to go. Bike runs fine, is comfy, able to easily pass on the interstate.
Having options is what it's all about.
Some don't like that it seems.

I like options, I still lurk over here a bit, I fit in better elsewhere. Kinda like choosing a church. Or a bar. This is a very helpful and knowledgeable forum. Lot of good stuff on here.

a good upgrade is just the Dyna coils. retain the stock ballast with the points . that will work well and the dyna coils are good units.
i have no faith in the dyna points replacement modules, having had 3 fail.

(I've drifted away from this forum because of the c5 and single carb emphasis )

i've drifted toward this forum because of the c5 and single carb emphasis. and the emphasis on facts. and no sponsors to
pander to.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153249#p153249:3r9fshbc said:
ekvh » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:39 am[/url]":3r9fshbc]
Pandering to sponsors? Kind of a subjective statement.
:BigGrin: The only sponsors here are the members who donate. Tell me you haven't noted sponsors upset over posts about them or their products and I will say you prevaricate.

BTW we are :0fftopic:

this is home to me ....and fits me ....same a ncscooter fits better elsewhere most of the time ....thats fine ..he likes coming here also at times that fine .....me i had to quit the other forums as it got personal ......we dont do that here ....its fine if you like another forum better ...this forum was started not to be the same as others .... :0fftopic: now

Sponsors have a right to object, just like members have a right to opine. Where does the pandering come in? Sponsors don't stop the opinions, they just voice their defense. When threads deteriorate from fixing bikes and become personal, they can quickly go into spats where it pits member against member. I've seen lots of them. I've been part of them. It feels like I'm going down that path again. An underlying theme that I continue to read here is ,"how we do things here." If you fully parse many of the posts here they tend to ridicule professionalism and persons who may be experts or people who have business interests. I am not sure this benefits the forum as it sends the message that if you're an expert or run a business, you don't have a place here.

Look at my work and you'll see I'm no expert and I very much enjoy using less than professional techniques and strategies to help my projects work, partly out of necessity, partly because I'm a cheap sob. Where I grew up it was called Yankee engineering.

I have also seen members here get treated like they weren't members just because they had a business. I'm pretty sure most of us here can benefit from good sound advice whether it comes from someone with an interest in it, or whether it's a backyard shade tree mechanic.

I'm pretty sure running and administrating this forum takes a great deal of time and effort from willing members. I certainly appreciate the efforts here. Let me say that again, I certainly appreciate the efforts here. I just think the membership might grow more, and the work load could then be spread out more if some of the posts could be tamed down a bit.

Maybe you need to post which members donate and which ones don't, then we'll know they're sponsors. I'm sure I'm causing some bristling here with this post, but I do believe this will stay a viable forum as long as it respects all.

Hope it makes sense. No prevaricating here.

there is a place for sponser gorifying ... and the buy slanted blab for your products cause you bought it .....then theres the not allowing other buissness people any air time cause they didnt buy your time ... here we are different and not trying to grow anymore than people who accept our way .... you say buissness ppeople are treated not right ... id say there treated equal...and members will not be treated lower then them.....we are talking hondaman... dyna...c5.....and obviously other forums ways ....not one cent has been spent here to influence what posted ...i prefer here than bought loyalty somewhere else... what ive seen over and over again is members being trashed by sponsers intrest ...but that seems politicly correct to other forums...its just not here and done that way on purpose ...no one above someone else sheesh ...home sweet home ...i love it.... :0fftopic: back to ignitions please

ok as thread ? goes .. im hondaman all the way over dyna ....neither is a c5 but ....the hondaman has a lot of options out on the road over dyna ... and i havnt heard much of discount on his products......im glad author is using dyna coils and points and things are doing good ...this info is great to know .... as many are faced with a choice like akolleth was ... :builder:

I'm going with the hondaman and dyna coils. I have a ngw forum bud that has this setup on his 75. It is a runner!

I've had dyna. Its convenient - set and forget. It worked but all the failures I've read about made my mind up to go hondaman route.

I don't have it rigged up yet but have the parts ready.

If I wasn't in as deep as I am $ wise on this thing might have gone C5.

I'd rather have modern brakes than a C5 though.

Well I made a decision- although maybe contrary to popular opinion here I went with the Dyna S, mostly due to simplicity in setting it up. I plan to replace it with the C5 next spring, so this is really a stop gap fix of sorts, and the Dyna can be re-sold to get back some of the cost then. The Hondaman setup would be perfect if I planned to keep it that way.

My question though is what gauge wire should I use for the primary feed to the coils? I am thinking either 16 or 14 but I can't seem to find any documentation on what is there already.

Latest posts