Carb slide caps

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Will the solid style slide caps from GL1100 carbs directly replace the GL1000 caps that have the plastic /epoxy button?

Question 2: Does anyone have 2 good (button) GL1000 slide caps they will sell to me?

There is a business that replaces them but it's $100 for 4!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Question #1 Almost certain they will not interchange.
#2 I think we have a few members here who've replaced those cap plugs. They may have extra they'd sell or I think may have a how to vid for you to follow.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157219#p157219:3q4otryf said:
zman » 30 minutes ago[/url]":3q4otryf]
You can buy these carbs for less then 100 and have extra parts, love extra parts. :BigGrin:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-76-77-Honda- ... c0&vxp=mtr

Thanks that's not a bad deal, but this build is already costing me a small fortune in parts. I don't want to spend a whole lot on such a low valued type bike. At some point spending for an antique becomes unreasonable if it's not a sought after collectable.
I have to hold down costs some now, these caps are out there and they should be fairly cheap used.
I've got a salvage source looking for some since no one on here had any or knew of any.
Pistol Pete does an awesome refurbishing job but at four for $80 or $25 each plus shipping both ways he is too high.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157224#p157224:19eqyh6g said:
joedrum » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:07 pm[/url]":19eqyh6g]
sheesh...bronko37 made some this spring ....his thread is on active topics right now on first page take a look at his stuff
I think that is the link that I posted :yes:

Try to find something like this ( freeze plug ) to fit and glue it in.

Attachments

• 51+XxaSeGTL._SX450_.jpg
    51+XxaSeGTL._SX450_.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 440
I would avoid using buffalo nickles or freeze plugs, or any hard metallic part as a replacement. The CV piston actually strikes against the button which is why it is made from plastic. Using metal will overtime cause the top of the piston to mushroom and the carb wont work right anymore...

Believe it or not the piston comes up pretty darn fast too, which is why the original plastic buttons will eventually fail.

well one thing is for sure a backfire through the carbs shoots them like a cannon up ..ive seen racks with 2 broken slides right around the top lid in center ...wow is all i could think ..looking at it ..the entire rack was toast from what ever happen top it ...bad gamble buying that rack on internet.. :cheeky: :hihihi:

Some have epoxied plastic inside the freeze plug method. The casting is very thin where the smaller bore meets the larger diameter. When removing the grub screw for the needles, if you hold it by the larger part, it will tear the casting. Ask me how old Hamfist knows that.